Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi there,

refer to my previous towing mpg report here: https://www.titanxdforum.com/threads/2nd-report-5-6-gas-mpg-towing.42700/

family had another camping trip last weekend. same trailer same tow truck.

before leaving, i checked trailer's tire pressure. it was quite a bit lower than rated pressure (43psi vs 65psi) so pumped it to 60ish PSI. This is the only baseline difference from last testing.

maintained speed around 60mph (vs. 65 last time). round trip back, computer calcs 21.7L/100km (10.9pmg) which got improved by almost 5L. I will say 10.9mpg vs 8.6mpg pulling that weight is a huge delta.

it proves:
1. wind kills mpg. even 5mph difference.....
2. keeping your TT's cold tire pressure up to rated may gain better mpg.

Jim

·
449 Posts
Wind resistance is a HUGE factor in mpg.Wind resistance does not increase as a linear function of speed (VELOCITY). For every doubling of your speed you need eight times the power (roughly speaking).

Example; if it requires 30 horsepower for your rig to travel at 40 mph it will require 240 horsepower for it to travel 80 mph.

Frontal area of your truck and trailer also impact the power needed to move it and the larger the frontal area the faster the increase in power required.

This is why some of us can see 21 mpg (for diesel) at 65 and 17/16 mpg at 70-75 and 14 (or less) at 80 mph.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

1 - 2 of 2 Posts