Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
5 Posts
Did it again this morning always seems to be In The same spot. At an area about 5 miles from my house have cruise control set at 65 tap brake let it coast to the stop sign and it pops up. I never get it in town seems just to be when it's coasting to a stop from 50mph plus. So weird hopefully they figure it out Tuesday.

·
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
That's one **** of a labor charge. Warranty time to replace the transfer case is only 1.4 hours.
i think the labor included troubleshooting time since this was the 3rd trip to figure out the problem.

I think my bill to nissan was about 3800 for my transfer case
still expensive

·
338 Posts
Where do you find the engine serial number?
On a tag/plate on the engine near the air intake.....right out front...just lean over the hood and you''ll see it. Cummins has been putting tags on their engines for a long time. The one on my 1991 Dodge was metal with rivets...not as nice now, but still, each engine has a serial number..

·
43 Posts
The build/manufacturing date is on the VIN plate in the driver's door jam...when you open the door look for it down low. It only gives month not day though. Whereas if you take the engine serial number and register on the Cummins Quickserve site (free access to some information for individual vehicle/engine owners) you can find out the exact build date for your engine. Perhaps not a really useful thing, but the info on that site otherwise is very interetsting.
Thank you for the Cummins Quickserve site, I had no idea it existed, now I'm in like Flynn.

·
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
No more warning after transfer case replacement. Build date on my truck is March 16.

·
338 Posts
Well, after getting the exact error (and warning lights) as JB consistently since early December, I finally took the truck in on Sunday. They performed the TCM reprogramming (now shown as a recall on the ticket) and replaced a switch--I assumed because a code told them to. Well, 2 miles on the way home the error popped again as it always does. So much for troubleshooting...

Ah, the journey with parts replacing techs. I had given them all the information from this forum and wrote it up in a summary for them--suggesting it just might be the transfer case. Ah well, back again to ask them if they paid attention to what I provided or talked to NNA about this. Hopefully will get to the bottom without more than another trip or two. I'm betting on the transfer case--mine is a March 2016 build like JB. Going to be nice this time...I take the bus to work so can be patient for a while on this one. My guess is they need to get on the phone with NNA on this if it is the transfer case.

Attachments

·
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Well, after getting the exact error (and warning lights) as JB consistently since early December, I finally took the truck in on Sunday. They performed the TCM reprogramming (now shown as a recall on the ticket) and replaced a switch--I assumed because a code told them to. Well, 2 miles on the way home the error popped again as it always does. So much for troubleshooting...

Ah, the journey with parts replacing techs. I had given them all the information from this forum and wrote it up in a summary for them--suggesting it just might be the transfer case. Ah well, back again to ask them if they paid attention to what I provided or talked to NNA about this. Hopefully will get to the bottom without more than another trip or two. I'm betting on the transfer case--mine is a March 2016 build like JB. Going to be nice this time...I take the bus to work so can be patient for a while on this one. My guess is they need to get on the phone with NNA on this if it is the transfer case.
Do you know what codes were thrown? Glad my documentation on this issue is helpful.

Vann5 I bet your getting a transfer case.
+1

·
338 Posts
Thanks gents...

Do you know what codes were thrown? Glad my documentation on this issue is helpful.

+1
Vann5 I bet your getting a transfer case.
Yes, this information has been very helpful gents. JB, didn't hear which codes they found before they replaced the switch. Not sure they read through my summary completely or this forum thread I printed out and highlighted. Time to help them along without getting rude. I live inside the DC Beltway...not as many trucks here as when I lived in Texas, and no Titan XD's that I've seen. This may be the first they have seen--certainly with this problem. They are nice, but I need to push them along I think. Luckily I don't use the truck every day and I have more patience for this than I had 20 years ago.

It does make me nostalgic about my 91 D250 with the original B5.9 that I finally had to sell a couple years ago with over 300,000 miles (over 200,000 when I bought it!) Purely a mechanical beast...no sensors of course...only one electrical part--the fuel solenoid to deny fuel to the Bosch rotary fuel pump to kill the engine!! Even that could be turned manually. Never had one problem with the unrefined polluting beast--probably should have held on to it for post-apocalypse duty (or post EMP...ha!). The XD is a crazy nice truck and a lot of fun...will likely regret all the electronics down the road...but life is short...

Will post an update on the resolution

·
338 Posts
Yes, it is the transfer case. They called NNA and got it authorized...should be here in 4 days or so. Also told them about the driveshaft bolts thanks to the heads up on this forum. I think they would have missed that if not!!!

·
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Yes, it is the transfer case. They called NNA and got it authorized...should be here in 4 days or so. Also told them about the driveshaft bolts thanks to the heads up on this forum. I think they would have missed that if not!!!
awesome! I am sooo glad my thread has helped at least one person. :laugh2:

·
338 Posts
Took a while for the new transfer case and bolts to arrived, but they replaced it today. No error code on the way home...fingers crossed it is good to go for the long term.

Service adviser said the transfer case was a $3200 part. Didn't ask about the labor. Figured that was their deal with Nissan. An expensive problem for a new vehicle...wonder if they get credit form Aisin (I assume they make the transfer case too although perhaps not?...)

Anyway, I'll be ready for our next bout of snow and ice in the DC area...don't need 4WD that often around here, but the snow removal sucks so when you need it you need it.

·
904 Posts
Took a while for the new transfer case and bolts to arrived, but they replaced it today. No error code on the way home...fingers crossed it is good to go for the long term.

Service adviser said the transfer case was a $3200 part. Didn't ask about the labor. Figured that was their deal with Nissan. An expensive problem for a new vehicle...wonder if they get credit form Aisin (I assume they make the transfer case too although perhaps not?...)

Anyway, I'll be ready for our next bout of snow and ice in the DC area...don't need 4WD that often around here, but the snow removal sucks so when you need it you need it.
Congrats! I think you will be good now!

·
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #36

Awesome! not sure if Aisin make the T-cases too or not. My dealer charged 110 a hr for the labor they sent to nissan.

·
13 Posts
Not good to hear about those warning lights. I've had this happen twice now. Shut off the truck and re-started and lights went away. Might need a new transfer case?? :(

·
80 Posts
+1 for warning lights and no 4×4 for 3 weeks while a new transfer case came in, during one of the snowiest (is that a word?) months in 30 years. New ones in now and all is back to normal.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 48 Posts