Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got to be honest- the amount of crank failures, engine fires, blued bearings, (insert your favorite flavor of failure here) has got me worried as an owner.

I guess what I’m getting at is- do I delete and bulletproof the truck or do I trade now while I can. Really has me on the fence with all the recent threads popping up on here. Granted, I know this a small sample size of truck owners on here- I also realize that some folks create an account on here solely for an issue they have. But, I’m still worried.

Just looking for everyone’s thoughts on all the ‘bad news’ lately!

In case anyone cares: 2017 SL trim diesel w/ 22k miles and is bone stock. Also, I swindled my dealer into a free maint package- so every bit of work has been done by them, on time, for free.

·
1,324 Posts
Got to be honest- the amount of crank failures, engine fires, blued bearings, (insert your favorite flavor of failure here) has got me worried as an owner.

I guess what I’m getting at is- do I delete and bulletproof the truck or do I trade now while I can. Really has me on the fence with all the recent threads popping up on here. Granted, I know this a small sample size of truck owners on here- I also realize that some folks create an account on here solely for an issue they have. But, I’m still worried.

Just looking for everyone’s thoughts on all the ‘bad news’ lately!

In case anyone cares: 2017 SL trim diesel w/ 22k miles and is bone stock. Also, I swindled my dealer into a free maint package- so every bit of work has been done by them, on time, for free.
Nice swindle!
Im not worried. I would be if realbored said these trucks are catastrophic failing at 10% or higher rate but i bet its closer to 2%. I have faith in Cummins. I expect my truck to live a long time. With that said i dont use high tunes and i run amsoil and bypass filtration because i want the best chance possible to not be a statistic

·
157 Posts
I personally wouldn’t get too upset. I think some of these issues are from this truck being new. Every single vehicle in production has its own hiccups and gremlins. I don’t care how smart engineers think they are it takes a couple years to work bugs out on any vehicle. I personally wouldn’t have bought my truck if it was the first year of production. It’s just my preference to give it a few years and let them work out the bugs. Even then there’s no guarantee mine won’t have issues. It’s a good vehicle overall. Bad news always travels faster and further. I wouldn’t sweat it. Also I’m deleted and I don’t think it bulletproofs anything. It does however make it twice as enjoyable to drive/own.

·
1,331 Posts
Nice swindle!
Im not worried. I would be if realbored said these trucks are catastrophic failing at 10% or higher rate but i bet its closer to 2%. I have faith in Cummins. I expect my truck to live a long time. With that said i dont use high tunes and i run amsoil and bypass filtration because i want the best chance possible to not be a statistic
Actually I bet it’s closer to 0.2% that have had serious engine failures. It just is human nature to be concerned when we hear about this but the Dodge Eco Diesel has had many many more engine failures. Both GM and Ford had plenty of fuel system failures, there isn’t a perfect setup out there that doesn’t have its small sample of issues. I wouldn’t worry about it as it still is very unlikely to have a major failure.

·
285 Posts
The 6.7 cummins has always been notorious for blowing headgaskets.

The the late 5.9 known for valve issues.

Early 5.9l/24v known for pump failures.

Then there was a phase of bad block castings known as the 53 block from Cummins that was prone to cracking.

There's always gonna be something..

That's why everything needs to be modified! Lol

·
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No, I totally get common issues among same make/model. This one is just a little more catastrophic than I like LOL.

I was a first MY 6.0 Powerstroke owner, so I know cstastrophic failure all too well- it’s wildly inconvenient to deal with, probably more so under warranty.

I’m not having buyers remorse or anything. I just enjoy this truck so much, and I want it to last.

Probably will delete it soonish, just to try and clean it up a little more. I have been doing lots of research on the oil bypass kit, as well as the FASS kit. We will see, I suppose.

·
172 Posts
I think its probably a little overblown about engine failures. This engine has been around a while before the XD ever came out so I think Cummins has it right. I think some of the problems is Nissan's programs interfacing with Cummins. Maybe a bad run of cranks account for some of the problems? I deleted at 39,000 miles and am now at 57,000. If you are not deleted I think you should run an oil bypass filter. Before I deleted my oil would be jet black after just a few hundred miles. Now it stays a nice clean amber color between changes. That EGR is putting a lot of soot into your oil. That certainly is not good for your engine.

·
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think its probably a little overblown about engine failures. This engine has been around a while before the XD ever came out so I think Cummins has it right. I think some of the problems is Nissan's programs interfacing with Cummins. Maybe a bad run of cranks account for some of the problems? I deleted at 39,000 miles and am now at 57,000. If you are not deleted I think you should run an oil bypass filter. Before I deleted my oil would be jet black after just a few hundred miles. Now it stays a nice clean amber color between changes. That EGR is putting a lot of soot into your oil. That certainly is not good for your engine.
Precisely why I want to delete, right there.

·
633 Posts
Isn't this 5.0 the first from Cummins on this line of size? Both Cummins and Nissan said so when they first introduced this engine.

·
Banned
356 Posts
Isn't this 5.0 the first from Cummins on this line of size? Both Cummins and Nissan said so when they first introduced this engine.
The engine was originally developed for Nissan AND Dodge as a joint venture. Dodge (or Ram rather) bowed out when the economy tanked in 2008ish. Cummins originally developed the ISV motor (5.0) as a commercial motor that could go in RVs, medium duty trucks, etc., and the 5.0 Nissan version. They are nearly identical, although the ISV does not have the turbo configuration found on this engine and is rated slightly lower power wise. You can in fact buy an ISV straight from the factory if you want to as a commercial engine.

·
1,324 Posts
No, I totally get common issues among same make/model. This one is just a little more catastrophic than I like LOL.

I was a first MY 6.0 Powerstroke owner, so I know cstastrophic failure all too well- it’s wildly inconvenient to deal with, probably more so under warranty.

I’m not having buyers remorse or anything. I just enjoy this truck so much, and I want it to last.

Probably will delete it soonish, just to try and clean it up a little more. I have been doing lots of research on the oil bypass kit, as well as the FASS kit. We will see, I suppose.

·
1,324 Posts

Id rather gave to fix a blown head gasket than a frieken crank!

·
631 Posts
I am only aware of three crank failure cases at all, let alone a significant number of them. The XD is not without its squawks, but I would hardly call the crankshaft a common point of failure. I thought all three of those trucks were tuned anyway?

·
631 Posts

·
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I am only aware of three crank failure cases at all, let alone a significant number of them. The XD is not without its squawks, but I would hardly call the crankshaft a common point of failure. I thought all three of those trucks were tuned anyway?
You’re definitely in the dark, then- hell, one guy has had two crank failures alone. And he is bone stock.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts