Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

5.0 Cummins Engine Failure Discussion

73K views 104 replies 35 participants last post by  Lucky262 
#1 ·
Got to be honest- the amount of crank failures, engine fires, blued bearings, (insert your favorite flavor of failure here) has got me worried as an owner.

I guess what I’m getting at is- do I delete and bulletproof the truck or do I trade now while I can. Really has me on the fence with all the recent threads popping up on here. Granted, I know this a small sample size of truck owners on here- I also realize that some folks create an account on here solely for an issue they have. But, I’m still worried.

Just looking for everyone’s thoughts on all the ‘bad news’ lately!

In case anyone cares: 2017 SL trim diesel w/ 22k miles and is bone stock. Also, I swindled my dealer into a free maint package- so every bit of work has been done by them, on time, for free.

#89 ·
What’s the build date on the sticker in the drive door frame?

Also, curious which crankshaft part number you have. If you can get the number off your engine (right on top via a white sticker, juts left of your Cummins logo plate) you can put it in or Cummins website for all the part #s in your particular engine.

#94 ·
I have a 2017 XD with 134,000 miles. I change oil every 5K and fuel filters every 10K. Dielectric grease on electrical connectors. Let turbo cool down before turning motor off. Diesel additive in tank at each fill. I've experienced no failures of any kind. Best truck I've ever owned.

#96 ·
This might sound like a stupid question, but is there a way to bulletproof the bottom end of these motors? I just bought a '16 XD Cummins a week ago with 187,000 km from original owner. It has been deleted but otherwise stock.

Could a fella buy a shortblock or whole motor that just has spun bearings and build it? I can't be without a truck. It would be nice to have a built shortblock ready in case the catastrophic happens.

I can't seem to find an aftermarket crankshaft or much else for these trucks but haven't been looking long. I am surprised I haven't found an upgraded rotating assembly of crank/rods/pistons. Is this available? Any ideas?

Thanks.

#97 ·
I can't seem to find an aftermarket crankshaft or much else for these trucks but haven't been looking long
Unfortunately, that is because there are not any-nothing at all. This engine is now an "orphan" with probably only 16,000-20,000 or so sold over the 4 year run. Very little aftermarket support for even stock, basic parts like head bolts. FelPro makes those... Nothing performance whatsoever (not that the head bolts have been a problem for anyone by the way...never seen a post about a bad head gasket.) Good luck finding much in the way of used engines or shortblocks on Ebay for example...they are just not there in any number and expensive!!

Yes, there have been a number of busted crankshafts, but it does not appear to be a high percentage. The good news for you is that you have have ~116,000 miles and still running strong. You are deleted so not dumping all the soot down the motor and you are free of all the emissions issues with DEF...though mybe not EGR cooler. Run high quality 5w-40 syn oil and change your filters regularly and keep ridin' the train. Only other option is to sell it really if it is that much of a worry or problem if it does go down. It is not a normal Cummins with lots of parts availability. Not many ISV's sold to the school bus or motor home market either. It is what it is....

#98 ·
Thanks for the reply Vann. Appreciate it. It's not enough of a concern to sell it, I just didn't mind spending a few bucks to upgrade it or have some spare parts for it. I will be keeping an eye at the auctions for a smashed or stolen truck and maybe have my own supply of spare parts for whatever I need.
Part of my frustration is I can't seem to find numbers anywhere on percentages of problem motors/transmissions. If 95% of them are good, I won't give it another thought, If 50/50 have problems long term, then that's a different story.

#99 ·
I can't imagine it is anywhere close to 50/50. Yes there have been a number of posts here about broken crankshafts and such but not dozens. I would think (just wild speculation from being on the forum for a while) it is much closer to you 95/5 threshold.

One member on here (who sadly has since left) had 2 XD's....one he bought at auction post flood a few years back. Completely underwater and he rebuilt the whole thing and had it on the road. Wrecked trucks are out there, but the engines go pretty fast and are expensive. The underwater thing was probably a different story....

I think there have been a number of spun bearings as stated earlier in this thread. (e.g. problems start with knocking before the crank lets go or it just gets shut off and metal is in the pan...) Normally that is an oil starvation root cause--but not in these cases. Well cared for engines have let go for no apparent reason-so that is the worry. Bearing surfaces are not as wide at a straight six and heat is an issues. Quality oil and regular changes are really important. I have never gone over 5K for the interval on mine. It is not deleted so not taking chances on TBN dropping low and soot building up to crazy levels.

#103 ·
I can't imagine it is anywhere close to 50/50. Yes there have been a number of posts here about broken crankshafts and such but not dozens. I would think (just wild speculation from being on the forum for a while) it is much closer to you 95/5 threshold.

One member on here (who sadly has since left) had 2 XD's....one he bought at auction post flood a few years back. Completely underwater and he rebuilt the whole thing and had it on the road. Wrecked trucks are out there, but the engines go pretty fast and are expensive. The underwater thing was probably a different story....

I think there have been a number of spun bearings as stated earlier in this thread. (e.g. problems start with knocking before the crank lets go or it just gets shut off and metal is in the pan...) Normally that is an oil starvation root cause--but not in these cases. Well cared for engines have let go for no apparent reason-so that is the worry. Bearing surfaces are not as wide at a straight six and heat is an issues. Quality oil and regular changes are really important. I have never gone over 5K for the interval on mine. It is not deleted so not taking chances on TBN dropping low and soot building up to crazy levels.
Thanks Vann. That makes me feel a lot better. I really love this truck and I hope I get many many years out of it.

#101 ·
keep the engine in rpm.
I think I'm tracking with you, as in don't lug it at low rpm's, and take advantage of the fact that this is an oversquare V-8 with a redline of 4000 rpm that actually likes to rev and maintains torque all the way to 4000. That keeps oil pressure higher too of course.

It does resemble a gas v-8 more than it does the other diesel v-8's out there. In the valve train for sure. No one else is using a quad-cam design for an engine this small...in fact the Duramax 6.6 and Powerstroke 6.7 are OHV designs. A more traditional approach. Looking at the pic below, at a quick glance observer would prabably say "this is a nice looking quad cam v-8...what is the redline?...." The glow plugs do stand out though ;)

Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive tire Industry Engineering

Motor vehicle Automotive design Engineering Automotive wheel system Automotive exterior

#102 ·
My feeling is the engine starts to defuel around 3900 but will allow up to 4250rpm before complete defuel.

I think peak volumetric efficiency is somewhere around 2600-2800rpm. These engines can make way too much torque at low rpm due to the turbocharger arrangement. 15psig at 1100rpm is a lot of power.

Lower rpms at high torque are the most likely candidate the hammer out the bearings. With such a low friction design it should be driven more like a big block. Not revved out all the time, but not lugging it either.

My other observation has been you can run much less boost for the same power by letting the engine spin faster. I’d rather do 2200 rpm at 5psig than 1600 at 15psig.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.