Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As expected, as time progressed from 2017, more and more Nissan dealerships don't want to deal with XD diesel issues. Between now and 2024 I suspect it will increasingly be ridiculously difficult to find a Nissan dealer willing to resolve XD 5.0 issues.
Obviously, Nissan wasn't in this for the long haul that would have possibly paid off in the long run if they committed to further invest. But instead it appears as though they simply threw the dice and hoped for financial profit with foresight to cut the program if a designated loss is recognized.
And 2019 was announced to be the final year for their offering the 5.0 diesel in the XD truck. Didn't take long!

What a waste of the consumers time and money. Can't say the Nippon's do things the American way and stick with it through the hard times with more R&D until it's right! Nissan appears to experiment with projects and drop them knowing they can them write off, yet have no regard for the consumer's ability to do same.

·
386 Posts
I agree with most of what you said- but you do realize that even IF Nissan decided to keep pushing forward with a diesel Titan, that this particular engine won’t be available any longer- right?

I mean let’s not get mellow dramatic about it- that engine isn’t available, that’s not Nissan’s fault. Whether they knew that engine was going to be available in the future before they rolled into production is up for debate, however.

·
179 Posts
Nissan built a product that there was no market for, except for a few of us who knew what they are getting. The public sees that the F150 has better payload and towing specs and only the few educated consumers see it for what it is. The XD is twice the truck the F150 is, but not on paper. Add that to the poor reputation Nissan has (due mostly to the POS CVT transmission in their cars) and you can see why the XD is a failure.

·
1,574 Posts
I've only every seen one cvt trans issue. Most of them have 200k plus miles and many other issues by then. But cars now a days are just disposable

·
537 Posts
While Nissan did a national parts search for my coolant tank with the built in sensor, I loaned a brand new Sentra. The Sentra used to be a pretty good entry car with decent response, especially with the 1.8. The car was not responsive, lugged the engine, so I looked it up and sure enough a cvt. First an last I will ever drive. Nissan ruined a good car for the sake of smoother shifting.

·
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I agree with most of what you said- but you do realize that even IF Nissan decided to keep pushing forward with a diesel Titan, that this particular engine won’t be available any longer- right?

I mean let’s not get mellow dramatic about it- that engine isn’t available, that’s not Nissan’s fault. Whether they knew that engine was going to be available in the future before they rolled into production is up for debate, however.
Yeah, 2019 diesel's with traditional 5 year/100,000 mile warranty puts Nissan completely free from warranty repairs at 2024.
They built a nice frame that's made for a diesel engine, and shortly afterward they drop the diesels.
However, if they decide to replace the 5.0 for a different diesel down the road, at least they have a frame that's ready to go.

As far as parts? After many years it might be harder to find parts like it is today for some short lived/unpopular older vehicles.

As far as having the gas engine in the XD's heavy frame, it would provide better service in the original lighter Titan.

·
59 Posts
I know there are many layers to this situation but it’s very simple. Supply vs demand. For the 100’s of reasons why ... this truck didn’t sell - there’s no demand for this truck. The numbers just weren’t there. I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s part of the reason Cummins dropped the 5.0. Hell, when I bought my truck the dealer started at $10k below the sticker. These trucks tend to sit on the lot a long time. Then to add insult to injury, they have to cover the bumper to bumper for 5 yrs/100k miles. It’s a financial beat down. Nissan lost money on the XD 5.0 and they continue to lose money. Sad deal, I really like the one I got even though I had to have a new long block @ 36k miles. I’ll drive mine until the warranty is up or if I start having any issues with the truck or the Warranty. So far I’m lucky to have a dealer who (up to this point) has done everything they should. That is something I’ll remember when I trade it. They have many brands within their group.

To be totally honest you shouldn’t need a 5 year 100000 mile b2b warranty. It’s the reason I actually bought this truck and at the same time the reason why I shouldn’t have bought this truck. Warranty alone is a red flag.

·
258 Posts
Add that to the poor reputation Nissan has (due mostly to the POS CVT transmission in their cars) and you can see why the XD is a failure.
We have nothing but good things to say about our Murano with the CVT. Quietest and smoothest vehicle we've ever owned. Can't find a bad thing to say about the car or the CVT.

As far as my diesel XD, I'm not worried in the slightest. I look forward to many, many years of using it to pull my camper in retirement. I have several friends who are so impressed with it (and who are so sick of the incessant troubles with their big-3 diesels) they have either snatched up a '19 diesel or are looking for one before they disappear.

·
580 Posts
While Nissan did a national parts search for my coolant tank with the built in sensor, I loaned a brand new Sentra. The Sentra used to be a pretty good entry car with decent response, especially with the 1.8. The car was not responsive, lugged the engine, so I looked it up and sure enough a cvt. First an last I will ever drive. Nissan ruined a good car for the sake of smoother shifting.
They loaned me a base-model Frontier when my Titan was in a couple of weeks ago, and I was actually pretty impressed with what it was. Drivetrain was weak though. The 4-cyl Frontier can't get out of its own way.

·
14 Posts
Pretty simple. With today's epa regulations and everything else going on most full size trucks with diesels less 1 ton are in between a rock and hard place. 1/2 ton none fuel efficient trucks just didn't have a place for most. 5.0 is not eco and it has less power than anything the big 3 out out. All be it, it's not as pricey as them either.
Sad it has just enough balls, (without the strength) and when it's pushed hard enough it kinda likes to break cranks. I actually considered purchasing the 5.0 until I spoke with a very wise service advisor and took his advice. Pretty sure if were beefed up (parts wise) and closer to 6 or 7 liters in a 3/4 and 1 ton it might have been successful.
Me personally don't see a real need for any diesel that's not rolling duals. That and epa is why I prefer gas. Plus, i don't rack up enough miles to justify diesel.

·
3 Posts
As for parts and service in 2024, nope it is happening now.
Just leased a new 19 XD Cummins. After reading this forum, I'm glad I went for the lease. We have 3 Nissan's, always liked the brand but I'm afraid it's back to GMC for my next truck, this will be turned in when the lease is up for a. GMC. I love the truck and hell, have friends that planned on getting one in a few years. People can't just jump out of their current payments and leases, it takes a half dozen years. I used to respect the Japanese business methods but they're getting as screwed up as Detroit.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts