Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 18' 5.0 with 35k miles, all stock. I read so many post's here and in FB groups about cranks snapping and pollution control hardware going out, etc. I am really thinking about upgrading but then that will affect my trade in when I get a new truck. I sell trailers for a living and I do pull a lot of trailers, the 5.0 does great for what I need out of it. Is the 5.0 that problematic? I really have no complaint about the truck, other than the small fuel tank. What does the PC stuff run when they do fail? I am really on the fence about the upgrade. It appears to run around 3k if I price it out correctly. I am looking at trading it in for a 5.6 truck but I doubt I would happy with its performance. I tried trading it in on a F250 and a Dodge 2500, the trade in these folks offered was laughable at best.
Like I said, I am the fence about this. On one hand, I read all this stuff and think I need to get rid of it. Then on the other hand, I think its just a very small percentage for the break downs.I really do enjoy my truck, it rides great, extremely comfortable. What are your thoughts on this subject?

·
482 Posts
Keep it. And put $$ aside for the next truck in 300k. The internet can make you crazy paranoid. You have a 100k warranty that is as good as any warranty. I have an early 16 with 65k on it. First year lots of little bugs now doing well for now. Knock on wood.

·
369 Posts
Keep it. It does what you want and does It well.

As my mother-in-law would saw "Don't Borrow Trouble."

The level of noise made on these forums about problems is greatly disproportionate to the number of problems that actually occur. Some people have problems and that sucks for sure, but there are a ton of these trucks out there just like yours, doing what they were made to do and happy to be doing it.

Emissions equipment difficulties exist across the board on new diesels, and some are having a far worse time of it than Nissan/Cummins, you aren't going to get away from it by jumping to another truck.

There will always be a segment of owners who buy a vehicle, it performs exactly like the factory specs foretell, but immediately the owner wants to remove mandatory equipment, "tune" it for more horsepower, get louder less restrictive exhaust, jack it up, throw big flashy wheels and tires on it, add more lights, etcetera etcetera. Doesn't mean the truck wasn't good, just means they have something else in mind they want to drive.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
128 Posts
Agree with everything above. Keep it, delete it, take care of it. Also I believe your 3g figure to “upgrade” is way high. Should be about half of that. I still would still do it though (even at 3g!)

·
271 Posts
Keep it, monitor oil viscosity (visually) and change early if needed. In my personal observation, oil gets thick n dirty around 5K and maybe its not lubricating properly. I tow most of the time when I use mine, its a '18 midnight edition @15K miles, so far so good.

·
428 Posts
Forget what you read on the internet as it's paranoid you.
I really have no complaint about the truck, other than the small fuel tank.
Seems like the only complaint you have is the small fuel tank. Solution is getting a bigger fuel tank, you'll be happy with all.

Mine is late 17 model, and it has 65K on it. A couple hiccups, but hell, I'm keeping the baby.

·
29 Posts
Just a question. How many times have you personally taken time to go back and give positive reviews of something. Not trying to be an ass!! Just pointing out, forums are bitchfests. Glean the knowledge and leave the bs behind. Good info to be found if you want it.
50k on my XD PRO4X and no issues except one door lamp I'm having replaced on next service.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

·
74 Posts
Of course people are going to bitch and moan when something isn't going right.... then there are the people who have the 16-19 Titans XD/regular with the 5.6 and 5.0 who don't have a clue there are forums and facebook groups .... then you have us... LOL....

There is a ton of good info if you can get past the smart azz comments and whiners out there.. I've learned a good deal about this truck and diesel.. had diesels before but this one seems a little finicky but if you do as you're supposed to, it should last a looooonnnnnggggg time .... I have a 19 Pro4X with 8800 miles on it since I snagged it in May.. other than the radiator problem, which was promptly swapped under warranty, I've had a blast towing and driving it...

Great truck so far.... and the wife factor was a pleasant surprise.. she loves it

·
40 Posts
I’m keeping mine and have gone through the long block replacement. Got over 60k miles left in warranty and we’ll see how I feel as I reach the end of the warranty in a few years. It’s an awesome truck. That 5.0 is impressive for its size. Can’t beat the ride. Drive it like you stole it and enjoy the truck.

·
371 Posts
Keep it, stop worrying about it, drive it, maintain it, fix it (if it breaks), repeat. These are great trucks. All manufacturers have their fair share of problems. All vehicles leave something to be desired.

·
419 Posts
I plan on keeping my 16 at least until the power train warranty expires. Mine is paid for and is mainly used for towing or hauling only, so no daily commuter here. This truck is at its best with weight in the bed or attached to the hitch but empty the tuning misses the mark. I will definitely consider a new gas model with 9 spd when the time comes.

·
927 Posts
I see alot of you guys saying the truck isnt your daily driver, you only tow with it. What's the point in spending 50k on something you're not gonna drive? Makes no sense at all

·
37 Posts
My SV diesel has 10k on it, no problems. Had it since July, use for commute and pleasure, tow very seldom. Going to enjoy for next two years, until the Tesla Cybertruck is perfected. Then I’ll make the transition from diesel to battery.

Happy Thanksgiving

·
Banned
356 Posts
I was excited about the Tesla until I saw it. The specs aren't that great either compared to what Elon was promising. I like the Rivian better, although it costs more. I also like the Atlis, but not sure that one will ever see the light of day.

·
37 Posts
Musk, if anyone will have the game changer. I’ll wait until the kinks are ironed out. Maybe the diesel manufacturers will revolutionize and adapt to the changing environment. If so, I’d be content with a diesel. However it looks like Cummins/Mercedes/Caterpillar are directing their research toward battery/Hydrogen. We’ll see, still 2-3 years out

1 - 20 of 57 Posts