Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

5.0 to keep or not?

18K views 70 replies 30 participants last post by  wakinvol 
#1 ·
I have an 18' 5.0 with 35k miles, all stock. I read so many post's here and in FB groups about cranks snapping and pollution control hardware going out, etc. I am really thinking about upgrading but then that will affect my trade in when I get a new truck. I sell trailers for a living and I do pull a lot of trailers, the 5.0 does great for what I need out of it. Is the 5.0 that problematic? I really have no complaint about the truck, other than the small fuel tank. What does the PC stuff run when they do fail? I am really on the fence about the upgrade. It appears to run around 3k if I price it out correctly. I am looking at trading it in for a 5.6 truck but I doubt I would happy with its performance. I tried trading it in on a F250 and a Dodge 2500, the trade in these folks offered was laughable at best.
Like I said, I am the fence about this. On one hand, I read all this stuff and think I need to get rid of it. Then on the other hand, I think its just a very small percentage for the break downs.I really do enjoy my truck, it rides great, extremely comfortable. What are your thoughts on this subject?

#39 · (Edited)
Your really lost. Most people responding are new owners and you think they're going to say their trk sucks!! Other dealers won't give you a good price for trade in as they never did since the beginning of the XD diesel trk's existence, and never will. Though, don't know about the XD gasser trade in offers from the diff big three manufacturers. However, seems like they knew the diesel XD's future would fail from the onset. Your stuck with your XD trk so drive it till it falls apart, or eat the cost for a trade in to a different brand.

What's this up grade your talking about...Gas XD trk, LOL! That's not an upgrade, but granted the gasser engine is a proven one and won't let you down. Plus, Nissan will give you more foryour diesel trade in than you will ever see from a different manufactures new car lot.

#42 ·
Mine is at 8500 miles and appears to be broken in, but it ran with almost no load for quite a while.

Also, I'll be keeping my 5.0 till the tires fall off. After that, It'll likely be a 2500/250 diesel and a second tiny car that can fit in parking garages lol. Honestly, the biggest plus of this truck was that it still fits in parking garages where I work ? No, but that is a definite plus and its a cummins. My dad even is looking at swapping into one over his 3.5 ecoboost. He tows 10k regularly and has two bad turbos at 86k miles bc of it. So...yeah..it can tow 13k on an ecoboost...but for how long? Well, for my dad it was 86k miles. I'll bet mine lasts longer lol.

#50 ·
I had an ecoboost and it will pull it, but dont try to stop or go down a hill.[emoji2962]
Ain't that the truth, Brother. The XD diesel in particular handles uphill AND downhill without any worries and without making the driver sweat while constantly managing the brakes and the transmission and the steering.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

#53 ·
Having a Cummins before, but with Dodge logo.on, is why I got the Titan. I see the quality in Dodge as sub-par. My truck pulls like a bull is why I got it, plus the 100K warranty. I have the pro 4 but off-road is a joke, it is way to heavy for true off-roading. The very first day I bought it coming home from dealer I go off-road up a hill cuz I could in my Tundra, but with this I could feel myself sinking in the mud, and got stuck, I was so ashamed looking like a fool in my new 4x4 what a pig. The owner of the hill pulls me out, never again with this pig. She right around 8900 pounds wet. That said since I had the 17 at least 5 F 250 owners said they wish they looked at the Nissian.

#59 ·
I've had my SL Midnight Cummins edition since 9-18, 12300 miles on it and still thinking hard about trading it in for a gasser, no issues yet except for the squirrels eating a couple of sensor cables, lol......
I don't see fossil fuels going away soon, but I do see the current government pricing them high from now on....

#60 ·
The feds have little impact on fuel prices beyond the federal fuel tax, which hasn't changed since '97(?). Fuel prices go up when supply is low and demand is high. Currently, supply is low (cold weather shutting down refineries, cartels keeping production low) while demand is high as we climb out of covid and start traveling more. If someone is telling you "it's the government", they're trying to play you for a fool.

#70 ·
Don't know why you think I have all the answers. The info on the "new green deal" is out there for everyone. As is the information on how little influence the feds have on the price at the pump.

I agree - we can't control the price at the pump beyond our personal impact on demand. But that doesn't mean I shouldn't gain knowledge about the process and just make things up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.