Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that the 5.6 is now DI, did Nissan include a work-around for carbon build up issues on the valves?

I asked the Nissan Live chat guy, he kept parroting how great the diesel is...

·
120 Posts
This engine had been in production since 2009 in the qx80. Also there 5.0L is DI. I have not heard about carbon issues. In the qx 80 this motor screams.

·
1,979 Posts
I don't see why it really matters, either you like the truck or you don't. Almost all manufacturers are going to DI.

·
363 Posts
I know that the 5.6 is now DI, did Nissan include a work-around for carbon build up issues on the valves?

I asked the Nissan Live chat guy, he kept parroting how great the diesel is...
Have you heard of solutions from any manufacturers? It sounds like it's an inherent DI issue.

·
492 Posts
I don't see why it really matters, either you like the truck or you don't. Almost all manufacturers are going to DI.

It matters because it is a known problem in other DI engines, and it can be a PITA to deal with.
I think Nissan has a handle on it here though.

Either you buy something that doesn't have this problem, or you don't. :smile2:

·
1,979 Posts
Have you heard of solutions from any manufacturers? It sounds like it's an inherent DI issue.
Yeah, drive it like you stole it, then when you get tired of it go trade it in long before any issues arise.
They are tweeking things constantly to deal with the issues.

·
492 Posts
I keep my vehicles for 10-12 years on average. I can't afford to trade it in every few years because I am tired of it. Hurts my retirement plan.
YMMV

·
363 Posts
Yeah, drive it like you stole it, then when you get tired of it go trade it in long before any issues arise.
They are tweeking things constantly to deal with the issues.
But the real world doesn't work that way. It's a myopic "just ship it baby" mentality. A tweak might improve HP, fuel efficiency, or emissions while adding new issues like higher maintenance/repair cost, reduced durability, and finicky driving requirements all the while resale value takes a hit. Flipping vehicles won't protect you.

·
1,979 Posts
But the real world doesn't work that way. It's a myopic "just ship it baby" mentality. A tweak might improve HP, fuel efficiency, or emissions while adding new issues like higher maintenance/repair cost, reduced durability, and finicky driving requirements all the while resale value takes a hit. Flipping vehicles won't protect you.
My point was, why worry about something that's completely out of our control?
With all of the electronics in modern vehicles the smartest thing anyone can do is get a 7/100 Top Ter Extended Warranty & as soon as it's up get rid of the vehicle, that is hardly "Flipping " a vehicle. Keeping these things for 10+ years is playing with fire in the " Real World ".
There are 200+ microprocessors in a new vehicle

·
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well the 2nd Gen eco boost also has port injection to keep the valves washed. I believe the new 3.5 tacoma does also.

·
363 Posts
My point was, why worry about something that's completely out of our control?
With all of the electronics in modern vehicles the smartest thing anyone can do is get a 7/100 Top Ter Extended Warranty & as soon as it's up get rid of the vehicle, that is hardly "Flipping " a vehicle. Keeping these things for 10+ years is playing with fire in the " Real World ".
There are 200+ microprocessors in a new vehicle
Maybe things are changing but most consumer activists still say extended warranties are a loser for various reasons including dealerships and manufacturers are very good at denying coverage. One truism is insurance companies tend to always make money.

Probably the best way to protect yourself is to limit risk upfront during the initial purchase. I try to avoid buying first year designs as well as problem child brands, engines, or models. Even though vehicles are loaded with technology reliability continues to improve. It ain't like it use to be with frequent flat tires, needing frequent tune-ups, spark plug changes, and overheating radiators.

I suspect future vehicles will have even more technology and yet will be simpler without combustion engines, clogging intakes, carbon build up, emissions, oil changes, ... along with wealthy oil producing countries.

·
1,979 Posts
you will have carbon build up no way around it on a direct injected engine
Can someone explain direct injection a little further? Would the 5.7L Ram Hemi have direct injection as well?
The injectors spray gasoline into the air intake manifold, where fuel and air mix together into a fine mist. ... With a direct injection engine, however, the fuel gets to skip a step and add a bit of efficiency. Instead of hanging out in the air intake manifold, fuel is squirted directly into the combustion chamber.
D.I is nothing to worry about, the technology has been around forever.

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
The injectors spray gasoline into the air intake manifold, where fuel and air mix together into a fine mist. ... With a direct injection engine, however, the fuel gets to skip a step and add a bit of efficiency. Instead of hanging out in the air intake manifold, fuel is squirted directly into the combustion chamber.
D.I is nothing to worry about, the technology has been around forever.
This - plus if you use top tier gasoline and run a decent fuel cleaner (Tectron or Amsoil) through every ~5000 miles (or ideally more often) you will burn clear the deposits and reduce efficiency losses due to the system getting gummed up. Gasoline has a tendency to varnish so even non-DI engines ought to have fuel cleaner run through every so often.

The Italian Tune-up (getting the engine SCREAMING up a highway on-ramp; or prolonged high speed up a hill to get engine and exhaust gas temperatures up) will also make a difference in burning it clean. This is why little old ladies driving Mercedes have engine problems at 50,000 miles - those cars learn the driver's habits and shift poorly to ensure carbon will build up due to never burning the system clean.

·
1,979 Posts
...if you use top tier gasoline ...
Here I'm assuming "top tier" is referring to a quality brand (eg. BP, Shell etc) as opposed to a higher octane rating - correct?
Correct....
Like MRB wrote, every so often the best practice is to beat the motor up. Like my wife's Sorrento that has D.I, I'll drive it like I stole it getting onto the freeway. It will blow a little smoke so I know things are getting knocked loose :)

·
53 Posts
I know Toyota and Ford are going away from just direct injection to duel injection. The duel injection uses direct injection and/ or port injection depending on conditions.There are conditions where port injection is more efficient plus you get detergent gas on the back of the valves keeping the carbon build up off. The carbon build up is a pita. Typically the heads are removed and cleaned with walnut shell blasting.

Reactions: BigRedcustoms
1 - 20 of 21 Posts