Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

5.6 Engine

6K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  ejh11 
#1 ·
Anybody know how gas engine is different for XD? This was all I could find:

Although the gas 5.6-liter V-8 has the same displacement from the previous generation Nissan Titan, the engine has been completely revamped to produce 390 hp and 401 lb-ft of torque compared to 317 hp and 385 lb-ft for the previous engine.

But what’d they do?

#3 ·
The XD and non-XD have different air intakes. Factory air filters are different and aftermarket CAI kits are not interchangeable.

#4 ·
An increase of 73 horsepower and 15 lb/ft torque could come from several different things. Without hitting the Internet hard for info, my guess would be more efficient airflow and some tweaking of the fuel management would easily get those numbers without costing a ton of money in the manufacturing process. I'd be interested to know the actual differences between the two engines as well. Might do some digging later.

#5 ·
They certainly updated a lot of the components around the engine, mostly with how the air flows in and out of the engine with VVEL, the compression ratio (9:8:1 on the old to 11:2:1), a new piston design, better direct fuel injection, a more efficient air intake system, and some others.
Most other Titans I know of have an air intake with a long snorkel inside the box that restricts air flow. A popular mod is to shorten the snorkel thus improving air flow into the engine. On the new model there is no need for this mod as the air intake box is already very open. Besides a louder engine and (maybe) better throttle response, this may also contribute to some of that gain.
All of these and other new features will add up to those power gains we read about.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.