Nissan Titan XD Forum banner
21 - 40 of 73 Posts

·
742 Posts
Splashback is from the foamer in the pump and the baffles in the neck that are there to prevent overfilling the tank and causing a fire hazard. All of them should be splashing back to stop the pump.

I'm ordering mine tomorrow.. I'm satisfied that there is not a design flaw with the tank.

·
144 Posts
Sorry, Got busy over Easter weekend. The issue with the stock tank I was referring to is if you allow it to get to low you may experience extended turn overs to crank the truck depending on the trucks location. The problem with the titan tank is probably something similar since it is geometrically a larger tank with the stock fuel pump therefore more places to hide. There is a group of us on the facebook forum who all talk to each other privately about stuff like this in sort of a think tank for mods and upgrades. There is a Air Dog set up being worked on and a bean sump to take full advantage of the 50 gallon tank. Really there are already universal bean sumps that can be installed on any diesel full tank that a competent mechanic or shop could do. Most people are just waiting on the Air Dog or FASS if they get involved.

Another note it is not a good idea to run any diesel tank all the way to empty as you run the risk of picking up any contaminates that have settled or algae, bacteria, fungi etc that may have settled on the bottom of the tank.

I run Amsoil All in one fuel additive every other tank and will probably change that to every tank here soon as well as starting to shock my fuel tank with a biocide at least 1 tank before a fuel filter change. All of this will ensure a clean fuel system and lubricated CP4.

·
742 Posts
Well, I pulled the trigger and had mine installed last week. Fuel needed indicated bone dry with 8 gallons in the tank, but was above F for the first 150 miles of the first fillup haha. I need to get my OBD2 plugged in to see what Torque Pro does with it, since it can be made aware of the actual tank size.

Didn't have any issues starting it with the 8 gallons transferred from the old tank (which I kept) once the fuel system was primed. We'll see if I have any low level issues but somehow I don't think I will. I may install the bean sump just for peace of mind.

·
7 Posts
how is the 50 doing

I had the titan 50 installed I bought bad fuel and the settlement was replacement of entire fuel system and tank and applied the cost of stock tank and got the 50...Have you had any issues with your tank getting near empty? I take it the needle is working kind of correct once you burn 25 gallons it start to track or read correctly? Does your trip computer miles to empty work at all or its still thinking 26 gallons to empty?:nerd2:

·
817 Posts
I, too, installed the 50 gallons tank not too long ago. Had gone thru nearly 10 fill-ups. There was two occasions I waited till the low fuel light to come up but never seen it yet. The needle was about 40 - 60 miles when it started to hit the red. But then I couldn't wait any longer. I refueled.

·
7 Posts
Looks like my miles to empty cant understand the 50 gallons in the tank and was acting like the 26 gallons to empty. My needle got to half b4 I refilled and squeezed only 20 gallons in tank. I need to carry 5 gallon can and run it to empty to see how many gallons it takes. Anyone else have any problems running the tank down? My stock tank would pick up all the way down as I refilled 25 gallons twice not by choice...

Ready for a trip with the camper, as the extra range is welcome.

·
742 Posts
I'm starting to get some long starts at 1/4 tank, but if I just cycle the primer once it'll start right up. We'll see how it goes as we get down closer to the red zone.

TigerStripes the DTE computer has no idea that you have a larger tank. It's hard-programmed for the stock 26 gallons and just goes off of the level from the sending unit - sort of. It doesn't have a fuel totalizer.

·
742 Posts
Okay, so I have had three fillups in a row where the truck has had starting issues and then held right at 34 gallons of fuel. So, there would seem to be a problem. I had the tank installed by a real pro, and we went over it twice to make sure everything was correct. This morning I had a start-and-stall one time but then it ran okay. Not sure what's going on but it looks like a sump is in my future... and probably should be for anyone who owns this tank. I think it is just so large that even 15 gallons of fuel makes for a very shallow pool in the bottom of the tank for a top-side pickup.

·
633 Posts
I ordered a tank, hasn't arrived yet, but all this talk got me second guessing my decision. I called Titan and they said the titan tank is exactly the same as the stock one only it's longer. If you have never had an issue before, you will not have an issue with theirs. And if you do, all you have to do is replace the lo pressure pump and that will cure it. So, have zero issues to date, I'll continue as planned and hope I don't have any issues.

·
1 Posts
Just as a follow up ... I installed my shiny new Titan tank. I filled it to the hilt and have just ran it down to approx 6 gallons left. What I have experienced is that the truck doesn’t start well as the fuel gets lower. I got 775 miles b4 my truck wouldn’t start. To be fair, I was parked on a hill with the front up which should’ve helped but it didn’t. Also I noticed that once the truck was running it didn’t have issues... it was only during start up that the issues came along.
Also, I’d like to address the issue of the tank being the same as the stock ?! That is funny bc when I installed my tank , I placed my truck on 4 ramps. I removed the stock tank an it slid out from under the truck w ease and when I slid the new one under the truck it barely fit under the step. Also, if it were the same size , why the new straps( metal) ? Don’t get me wrong, I’m still happy I got it but I think it is laughable that a company can blame another for issues when clearly the xxl tank causes issues that weren’t there prior to the mod;)

·
633 Posts
I have mine in the bed of my truck waiting until tomorrow to be installed. I've taken several videos of me starting the truck with ---- on my DTE and my fuel warning light on and absolutely no issues starting. So we will see.

·
817 Posts
I too, had the 50 gal Titan tank installed myself. However, I have not run the tank to below 1/4 to notice any starting problem. There is a design flaw (in my opinion): at the fuel sending unit location, surrounding area could be concave a bit, then all problem could be resolved

A quick sketch here: #1 is current design. #2 is what it should be (in my opinion)

Attachments

Reactions: Rpeeps

·
817 Posts
Is the transfer flow tank any better?
I called Transfer Flow Tank before ordered the Titan Tank and Transfer Flow said it'll use the last drop of fuel. By the time, I didn't feel like installing a metal tank at bottom of the truck just for the peace of mind that if a rock hits it, it would be more damage than the poly tank (imo). Hence, I ordered the Titan Tank.

·
633 Posts
I looked at Transfer Flow, but I think those were $1,8XX and I got the Titan for $1,169. It was a tough enough sell for the Titan with the wife, I dared not ask for another $600-700 dollars more.

·
633 Posts
Just finished installing the tank. What a pain in the a$$. I put 5 gallons in, primed it twice and she fired right up. Though, on my way to fill it up, I did get a Low Fuel Pressure Warning. Added 45 gallons, tried to start the truck and it cranked over longer than usual, started then died. Tried again and started and stayed running. Ran an errand and the Warning light was on still. Turned it off and restarted with no warnings. So, hopefully everything is all good. We will have to see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 73 Posts