Nissan Titan XD Forum banner
41 - 60 of 73 Posts

·
742 Posts
Just finished installing the tank. What a pain in the a$$. I put 5 gallons in, primed it twice and she fired right up. Though, on my way to fill it up, I did get a Low Fuel Pressure Warning. Added 45 gallons, tried to start the truck and it cranked over longer than usual, started then died. Tried again and started and stayed running. Ran an errand and the Warning light was on still. Turned it off and restarted with no warnings. So, hopefully everything is all good. We will have to see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's pretty much what mine does. With 16 gallons left, it'll start to take longer to fire up. With 6 gallons left, it won't start at all. It will frequently start and then die once there are about 10 gallons left.

Not happy at all with this.

·
633 Posts
That's pretty much what mine does. With 16 gallons left, it'll start to take longer to fire up. With 6 gallons left, it won't start at all. It will frequently start and then die once there are about 10 gallons left.

Not happy at all with this.

I’ve spoken to Titan extensively about my issues and they assure me the tank is essentially the same as the oem, just longer. I asked them why the Titan tank sits lower than the oem one, so how can it be the same? They said the top of the tank where the pump is on the Titan is actually recessed down so the distance is exactly the same. My starting issues seem to be resolved at the moment, but I have 48 gallons left so it’s going to be a while before I can see if I have the same issues as you.

·
769 Posts
I’ve spoken to Titan extensively about my issues and they assure me the tank is essentially the same as the oem, just longer. I asked them why the Titan tank sits lower than the oem one, so how can it be the same? They said the top of the tank where the pump is on the Titan is actually recessed down so the distance is exactly the same. My starting issues seem to be resolved at the moment, but I have 48 gallons left so it’s going to be a while before I can see if I have the same issues as you.

Same issues?

·
817 Posts
I was talking to a guy who knows a Nissan tech. He asked the Nissan tech, Nissan tech said that Nissan sells 50 gal tank which comes with the fuel sending unit, which would give correct DTE. However, the Nissan tech doesn't know the part number, he said that we need to call Nissan service desk to find out.

About the amount of fuel to fill up, I have had it down to as low as 75 mile to empty, no light yet, but I re-filled it up, it took 40 gals.

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
Sorry, Got busy over Easter weekend. The issue with the stock tank I was referring to is if you allow it to get to low you may experience extended turn overs to crank the truck depending on the trucks location. The problem with the titan tank is probably something similar since it is geometrically a larger tank with the stock fuel pump therefore more places to hide. There is a group of us on the facebook forum who all talk to each other privately about stuff like this in sort of a think tank for mods and upgrades. There is a Air Dog set up being worked on and a bean sump to take full advantage of the 50 gallon tank. Really there are already universal bean sumps that can be installed on any diesel full tank that a competent mechanic or shop could do. Most people are just waiting on the Air Dog or FASS if they get involved.

Another note it is not a good idea to run any diesel tank all the way to empty as you run the risk of picking up any contaminates that have settled or algae, bacteria, fungi etc that may have settled on the bottom of the tank.

I run Amsoil All in one fuel additive every other tank and will probably change that to every tank here soon as well as starting to shock my fuel tank with a biocide at least 1 tank before a fuel filter change. All of this will ensure a clean fuel system and lubricated CP4.
The use of additives to prevent algae build in diesel fuel tanks is not really necessary with today's ULSD. We might as well be running kerosene ? from the pump.
Water is our only real enemy with today's fuels.
Don't get me wrong...I miss the green and red (I would never have ran farm fuel over the road in my younger stupid days?) diesel with no ULSD or LSD labeling sure made a 6.9 or 7.3 run like a top but you did have to pour the Power Service Plus to the tanks occasionally.

·
2017 XD / Diesel 4x4
7 Posts
50gal aftermarket fuel tank...also offered by Titan Fuel Tanks (not associated)

I am no expert and have only had this truck for a few months now but looked into the 50 gal option and I have heard that this is a Nissan issue.

I'm trying to figure out how to re-calibrate the computer to read 50 gals as "full"...I know the gauge will work fine but I'd like the computer to be able to accurately estimate range also if possible. Anyone know how to do that? Nissan dealer told me they have no way of doing it yet..."working on it", I'm not holding my breath.

·
769 Posts
I am no expert and have only had this truck for a few months now but looked into the 50 gal option and I have heard that this is a Nissan issue.

I'm trying to figure out how to re-calibrate the computer to read 50 gals as "full"...I know the gauge will work fine but I'd like the computer to be able to accurately estimate range also if possible. Anyone know how to do that? Nissan dealer told me they have no way of doing it yet..."working on it", I'm not holding my breath.

That will not work. And Nissan isn't working on it. They don't care.

·
65 Posts
I was talking to a guy who knows a Nissan tech. He asked the Nissan tech, Nissan tech said that Nissan sells 50 gal tank which comes with the fuel sending unit, which would give correct DTE. However, the Nissan tech doesn't know the part number, he said that we need to call Nissan service desk to find out.

About the amount of fuel to fill up, I have had it down to as low as 75 mile to empty, no light yet, but I re-filled it up, it took 40 gals.
Anyone have any info or part number for the fuel sending unit on the 50 gallon tank that will allow for the correct DTE?

·
1,311 Posts

Anyone have any info or part number for the fuel sending unit on the 50 gallon tank that will allow for the correct DTE?
There isn’t one.

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
Sorry, Got busy over Easter weekend. The issue with the stock tank I was referring to is if you allow it to get to low you may experience extended turn overs to crank the truck depending on the trucks location. The problem with the titan tank is probably something similar since it is geometrically a larger tank with the stock fuel pump therefore more places to hide. There is a group of us on the facebook forum who all talk to each other privately about stuff like this in sort of a think tank for mods and upgrades. There is a Air Dog set up being worked on and a bean sump to take full advantage of the 50 gallon tank. Really there are already universal bean sumps that can be installed on any diesel full tank that a competent mechanic or shop could do. Most people are just waiting on the Air Dog or FASS if they get involved.

Another note it is not a good idea to run any diesel tank all the way to empty as you run the risk of picking up any contaminates that have settled or algae, bacteria, fungi etc that may have settled on the bottom of the tank.

I run Amsoil All in one fuel additive every other tank and will probably change that to every tank here soon as well as starting to shock my fuel tank with a biocide at least 1 tank before a fuel filter change. All of this will ensure a clean fuel system and lubricated CP4.
You don't have to worry about algae etc in diesel tanks today with ULSD. We're not running DF2 anymore.

·
27 Posts
I just installed my 50 gallon Titan tank. The installation wasn't too bad. The hardest part for me was getting the fuel and wire connections unhooked from the old tank. I just couldn't see what I needed to do. So I stuck my phone up there and took a few pictures which let me do the rest by braille. I also screwed up mid-installation when my home power went out due to a windstorm. I used the inverter built into the truck but I needed to turn on accessory power to do that. I forgot that the lift pump runs when you do that and I inadvertently introduced a bunch of air into the system and made a mess on the floor. No real harm was done other than it took a while to prime once I was done.

A lift would have been nice for this work. I don't have one so I ran the driver's side tires up on some blocks before starting. I'd say you need to get truck blocked up about 6" to get the new tank to slide under the frame rails.

I installed a sump while I was at it. I'd read about some issues on this forum and I wanted to play it safe. I checked into the Bean sump and it looked like a quality piece but a few reviews said it leaked. I bought one from Ohio Diesel Parts on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01F4CA0FS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1It has 3 attachment bolts instead of just one which I felt would help get a better seal. It installed easily and leak-free so I can definitely recommend it. It was cheaper than the other brand too.

The tank comes with a new rear strap and that worked fine. But it didn't come with a new mid strap. Neither of the stock straps fit quite right. One was too long and one was too short. So I ended up buying a longer bolt and making the shorter strap work. I haven't heard of anyone else having that issue so I'm not sure why I did.

As far as capacity, I live on a steep driveway so I played it safe and put 15 gallons in fore leaving home. This barely got the gauge up out of the red which I think is pretty cool. I had trouble getting it started but like I said, that's on me. Drove about 5 miles to the fuel station and put another 35 gallons in so the capacity seems right on. Once it was full, I looked it over for leaks and it's all dry. I'm two days into it with no fuel delivery problems and the gauge hasn't budged.

Overall, I'm really happy with the outcome.

·
742 Posts
Nice to hear, osubeaver! I have yet to install the sump so I'm filling with ~15 gallons left still, but I will eventually get around to installing one. It'll be nice to get every last drop of those 50 gallons out.

·
1,311 Posts
I just installed my 50 gallon Titan tank. The installation wasn't too bad. The hardest part for me was getting the fuel and wire connections unhooked from the old tank. I just couldn't see what I needed to do. So I stuck my phone up there and took a few pictures which let me do the rest by braille. I also screwed up mid-installation when my home power went out due to a windstorm. I used the inverter built into the truck but I needed to turn on accessory power to do that. I forgot that the lift pump runs when you do that and I inadvertently introduced a bunch of air into the system and made a mess on the floor. No real harm was done other than it took a while to prime once I was done.

A lift would have been nice for this work. I don't have one so I ran the driver's side tires up on some blocks before starting. I'd say you need to get truck blocked up about 6" to get the new tank to slide under the frame rails.

I installed a sump while I was at it. I'd read about some issues on this forum and I wanted to play it safe. I checked into the Bean sump and it looked like a quality piece but a few reviews said it leaked. I bought one from Ohio Diesel Parts on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01F4CA0FS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1It has 3 attachment bolts instead of just one which I felt would help get a better seal. It installed easily and leak-free so I can definitely recommend it. It was cheaper than the other brand too.

The tank comes with a new rear strap and that worked fine. But it didn't come with a new mid strap. Neither of the stock straps fit quite right. One was too long and one was too short. So I ended up buying a longer bolt and making the shorter strap work. I haven't heard of anyone else having that issue so I'm not sure why I did.

As far as capacity, I live on a steep driveway so I played it safe and put 15 gallons in fore leaving home. This barely got the gauge up out of the red which I think is pretty cool. I had trouble getting it started but like I said, that's on me. Drove about 5 miles to the fuel station and put another 35 gallons in so the capacity seems right on. Once it was full, I looked it over for leaks and it's all dry. I'm two days into it with no fuel delivery problems and the gauge hasn't budged.

Did you have to get a special connector to connect the line from the sump to the lift pump?

·
1,311 Posts
Did you have to get a special connector to connect the line from the sump to the lift pump?
No, I just removed the fuel line that connected the supply port at the tank to the primary filter housing and replaced it with about 4' of 1/2" fuel line. I also capped off the supply port at the tank.
Well that is easy enough, lol.

·
116 Posts

Can you post a couple pictures of your install. I'll be doing this in the not to distant future and would like to have a reference. Spring starts my towing season for me and my Jeep so I'd like to have one installed before then. I'm not looking forward to having to stop every 200 miles or so.

·
27 Posts
Can you post a couple pictures of your install. I'll be doing this in the not to distant future and would like to have a reference. Spring starts my towing season for me and my Jeep so I'd like to have one installed before then. I'm not looking forward to having to stop every 200 miles or so.
I don't have any pictures of the install in progress but I'll try to get a couple of the finished product this weekend. In the meantime, here's a range update. After 140 miles the needle hit the full mark and here's where I am now with the trip meter reset when the tank was filled:

Attachments

41 - 60 of 73 Posts