Nissan Titan XD Forum banner
61 - 73 of 73 Posts

·
27 Posts
Here are some pictures of the tank in place. One of the photos shows the connection for the new fuel line at the primary filter housing.

I figured out the issue with the mid-tank strap. I didn't need to re-use the factory strap after all. The straps come secured to the tank with temporary bungee cords. I have had this tank for a while before I had a chance to install it and while it was stored one of the straps fell off. So I found where the strap had fallen off and I'm all good.

Still no leaks. I'm very happy with this tank so far. I'm still working my way through the first tank fill. I'll post up with my range once I run it a little lower.

Attachments

·
116 Posts
Here are some pictures of the tank in place. One of the photos shows the connection for the new fuel line at the primary filter housing.

I figured out the issue with the mid-tank strap. I didn't need to re-use the factory strap after all. The straps come secured to the tank with temporary bungee cords. I have had this tank for a while before I had a chance to install it and while it was stored one of the straps fell off. So I found where the strap had fallen off and I'm all good.

Still no leaks. I'm very happy with this tank so far. I'm still working my way through the first tank fill. I'll post up with my range once I run it a little lower.
Thanks for the pictures. I will make sure I order a sump for when I get the tank to make sure I don't have to add it later. Seems like cheap insurance to me.

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts

Guys I'm not trying to rain on the sump parade but aren't you guys worried about excessive water or debris being sucked from the bottom of the tank? Is there a screen in that unit?
Admittedly, with ULSD today today we don't have to worry about "dirty algae ridden" tanks but water on the bottom of tanks is still a pretty big problem.
Not criticizing...just trying to understand. Maybe I'm missing something.

·
27 Posts
The sump doesn't have a screen but it does have a trap to retain sediment. It would also trap a small amount of water but I think sediment retention is what it's for. The sump has a drain plug that lets you clean out that trap.

I understand what you're saying but my logic is that if I have debris or water in my tank, I'd prefer to have an easy way to get it out. The sump drain accomplishes that. I really don't want that stuff accumulating in the tank.

With the sump, any water that collects in the bottom of the tank is constantly being sucked out where it can be properly separated from the fuel in the primary filter. It seems like a better system all the way around to me. I think the only potential down-side to the sump is that it's in a vulnerable location hanging off the bottom of the tank. In my opinion, it's worth the risk given the other advantages but that's just me.

The other thing that motivated me to install it at this particular time was that the tank was on the bench and dry so it was the perfect opportunity.

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
The sump doesn't have a screen but it does have a trap to retain sediment. It would also trap a small amount of water but I think sediment retention is what it's for. The sump has a drain plug that lets you clean out that trap.

I understand what you're saying but my logic is that if I have debris or water in my tank, I'd prefer to have an easy way to get it out. The sump drain accomplishes that. I really don't want that stuff accumulating in the tank.

With the sump, any water that collects in the bottom of the tank is constantly being sucked out where it can be properly separated from the fuel in the primary filter. It seems like a better system all the way around to me. I think the only potential down-side to the sump is that it's in a vulnerable location hanging off the bottom of the tank. In my opinion, it's worth the risk given the other advantages but that's just me.

The other thing that motivated me to install it at this particular time was that the tank was on the bench and dry so it was the perfect opportunity.
Well I'm probably overthinking it and I will admit having the handy drain on the bottom of the tank is very practical.
If fuel source is good should be no issues and I guess it's the rare exception that a guy gets "bad fuel"
I think now that the only time it could be an issue was if you did get bad fuel, more water on bottom of tank, the fuel water separator may not handle so we'll...it was more so designed, as most are, to separate out suspended water entrainment and not "full on water" but again, probably exception and not the rule.
I'm interested....I can't drive much past 250 miles before I have to piss due to coffee (or age:) but I'm warming to the idea for extended range after my recent mountain trip.
Can't do the bed option...don't want to lose above the rail box and fifth wheel limits tank underneath.
Keep convincing me?

·
742 Posts
Guys I'm not trying to rain on the sump parade but aren't you guys worried about excessive water or debris being sucked from the bottom of the tank? Is there a screen in that unit?
Admittedly, with ULSD today today we don't have to worry about "dirty algae ridden" tanks but water on the bottom of tanks is still a pretty big problem.
Not criticizing...just trying to understand. Maybe I'm missing something.
Maybe you're missing the first stage filter and water separator :devil:

Even using a draw straw, leaving water in the bottom of the tank will eventually lead to water being sucked into the draw straw. I think the water separator will do its job, as will the filter. Besides, if you're always cleaning out the bottom of the tank, nothing will have an opportunity to build up there.

·
27 Posts
I ended up getting 575 miles out of the first tank. The DTE read 36 miles and it seems to off by a factor of 2X with the new tank so I probably had another 75 miles to go before it hit zero and then there would probably still be about 5 gallons in the tank. As it was, I put 39.7 gallons in to fill it. Ya, my pump is old but the gallons are still accurate even if the price isn't :laugh:

Attachments

·
742 Posts
I ended up getting 575 miles out of the first tank. The DTE read 36 miles and it seems to off by a factor of 2X with the new tank so I probably had another 75 miles to go before it hit zero and then there would probably still be about 5 gallons in the tank. As it was, I put 39.7 gallons in to fill it. Ya, my pump is old but the gallons are still accurate even if the price isn't :laugh:
The DTE calculator doesn't know you've doubled the size of the tank, so yes you need to multiply DTE by about 2.

·
3 Posts
Hello all. I live in Australia. I have a 2017 titanXD S single cab and was wanting to fit the 50 gallon Long Range Tank. I have been told the tank will only fit the crew cab trucks. Does anybody know it this is the case and what are the reasons why the tank will not fit my model. Is there a LRT that will fit the single cab? There is not much knowledge on Nissan Titans here in Aus!
Thanks in advance.

·
2 Posts
I just installed my 50 gallon Titan tank. The installation wasn't too bad. The hardest part for me was getting the fuel and wire connections unhooked from the old tank. I just couldn't see what I needed to do. So I stuck my phone up there and took a few pictures which let me do the rest by braille. I also screwed up mid-installation when my home power went out due to a windstorm. I used the inverter built into the truck but I needed to turn on accessory power to do that. I forgot that the lift pump runs when you do that and I inadvertently introduced a bunch of air into the system and made a mess on the floor. No real harm was done other than it took a while to prime once I was done.

A lift would have been nice for this work. I don't have one so I ran the driver's side tires up on some blocks before starting. I'd say you need to get truck blocked up about 6" to get the new tank to slide under the frame rails.

I installed a sump while I was at it. I'd read about some issues on this forum and I wanted to play it safe. I checked into the Bean sump and it looked like a quality piece but a few reviews said it leaked. I bought one from Ohio Diesel Parts on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01F4CA0FS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1It has 3 attachment bolts instead of just one which I felt would help get a better seal. It installed easily and leak-free so I can definitely recommend it. It was cheaper than the other brand too.

The tank comes with a new rear strap and that worked fine. But it didn't come with a new mid strap. Neither of the stock straps fit quite right. One was too long and one was too short. So I ended up buying a longer bolt and making the shorter strap work. I haven't heard of anyone else having that issue so I'm not sure why I did.

As far as capacity, I live on a steep driveway so I played it safe and put 15 gallons in fore leaving home. This barely got the gauge up out of the red which I think is pretty cool. I had trouble getting it started but like I said, that's on me. Drove about 5 miles to the fuel station and put another 35 gallons in so the capacity seems right on. Once it was full, I looked it over for leaks and it's all dry. I'm two days into it with no fuel delivery problems and the gauge hasn't budged.

Overall, I'm really happy with the outcome.
I am doing the installation now and I can not figure out how the fuel connects come off the fuel sending unit. Do you remember how? I am just worried about breaking them.

61 - 73 of 73 Posts