Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I bought a pre-owned 2017 Titan XD with the 5.0 Cummins in it. It has about 25,000 miles on it now. I love the truck but it is getting TERRIBLE fuel economy. I thought diesels were supposed to get better mileage than gasers? My 2005 SE Crew Cab got at least 13 in the city.

Just driving normal around town I am getting 6-8 MPG. (no cargo or trailer)
Driving on the interstate doing around 75-80 I get around 10mpg. (no cargo or trailer)
Pulling a 6000lb camper down the interstate doing 70-75 I get 10-11mpg.

I highly doubt this is normal so I brought it into the dealership once and they said it looked fine. They suggested changing the fuel and air filters. I went ahead and bought them from the dealership and installed them myself. It made ZERO difference.

I started doing some research on these new diesel engines and found out there is a regen cycle. I figured a 2500 mile round trip to Arizona pulling a 6000lb camper would clean the SCR system and I would get better mileage. NOPE! Just as bad.

I think my is stuck in regen or something that is the ONLY thing I can think of. It kind of made sense to me because of the rich smell of fuel inside the cabin once in a while.

Just wondering if anyone else has any tips or has experienced an issue like this.

Thanks!
Jerry

·
273 Posts
Hey guys,

I bought a pre-owned 2017 Titan XD with the 5.0 Cummins in it. It has about 25,000 miles on it now. I love the truck but it is getting TERRIBLE fuel economy. I thought diesels were supposed to get better mileage than gasers? My 2005 SE Crew Cab got at least 13 in the city.

Just driving normal around town I am getting 6-8 MPG. (no cargo or trailer)
Driving on the interstate doing around 75-80 I get around 10mpg. (no cargo or trailer)
Pulling a 6000lb camper down the interstate doing 70-75 I get 10-11mpg.

I highly doubt this is normal so I brought it into the dealership once and they said it looked fine. They suggested changing the fuel and air filters. I went ahead and bought them from the dealership and installed them myself. It made ZERO difference.

I started doing some research on these new diesel engines and found out there is a regen cycle. I figured a 2500 mile round trip to Arizona pulling a 6000lb camper would clean the SCR system and I would get better mileage. NOPE! Just as bad.

I think my is stuck in regen or something that is the ONLY thing I can think of. It kind of made sense to me because of the rich smell of fuel inside the cabin once in a while.

Just wondering if anyone else has any tips or has experienced an issue like this.

Thanks!
Jerry
Towing should have cleared the dpf, but depending on your city driving habits, it could be doing a regen over once per tank. When you are driving, you will be able to tell if you are in regen by watching the instant fuel economy meter. It will hover between 5-10mpg, even when letting off the throttle. But if you let off, and the gauge jumps to 30, then it's done with the cycle. The fuel smell indicates regen or heavy EGR use as well, so you may be right in thinking it's stuck in regen mode. The dealer should be able to tell immediately, as they can scan the Titan to tell when it regenerated last.

·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's exactly what I thought with towing. I am still very new when it comes to this DEF/SCR/DPF stuff. I have tried letting the truck warm up before jumping in and driving it before a short trip, babied the throttle, mashed on the throttle, hooked up my trailer a few times and gave it **** to try and clean out the DPF, etc. It all seems to be the same everytime. I do notice the fuel economy meter doing that quite frequent. It will hover between 5-10. Once in a blue moon it will jump up to 30. How long does a regen usually take on these trucks? Should I leave it running while in regen mode or just treat it like normal? I am hoping the dealership will go over it with a fine tooth comb this time because this is NOT normal. I am reading this forum along with several other reviews on the internet and no one is saying they constantly get 6-8 mpg around town.

Thanks so much for the comment i thought i was just going crazy!

·
141 Posts
Don’t the dealers explain to customers how these trucks operate? I might take for granted that not everyone researches what they’re buying before hand to avoid what would be obvious to some and a mystery to others. It’s sort of baffling that a dealer would assume that every buyer knows what they’re getting into vs. simply offering a basic run down of what they’re getting into.

Reactions: jerry

·
273 Posts
That's exactly what I thought with towing. I am still very new when it comes to this DEF/SCR/DPF stuff. I have tried letting the truck warm up before jumping in and driving it before a short trip, babied the throttle, mashed on the throttle, hooked up my trailer a few times and gave it **** to try and clean out the DPF, etc. It all seems to be the same everytime. I do notice the fuel economy meter doing that quite frequent. It will hover between 5-10. Once in a blue moon it will jump up to 30. How long does a regen usually take on these trucks? Should I leave it running while in regen mode or just treat it like normal? I am hoping the dealership will go over it with a fine tooth comb this time because this is NOT normal. I am reading this forum along with several other reviews on the internet and no one is saying they constantly get 6-8 mpg around town.

Thanks so much for the comment i thought i was just going crazy!
When it enters regen, try to jump on the highway and drive until done. The DPF needs to get hot enough to burn off all the soot, and I find highway to be the fastest option. If you are driving around town, chances are it won't even got hot enough, and will stay in regen. For me, I find that it can finish with about 15 minutes on the highway @ 75. With only city driving (5-10 miles) I can have a regen once per tank if I'm not towing in between. Towing basically cures all, as does highway driving. Annoyance with modern diesels and emissions. Chances are that if you hand-calculate mileage, it won't be that low either. I think that's why they removed that screen on the 2018 models.

·
273 Posts
Don’t the dealers explain to customers how these trucks operate?
nope. I've bought a lot of new cars and toys over the years... I've maybe had one or two that actually did a walk through where they explained things. Most sales people are vaguely familiar with what they sell, it's stupid. It's a lot worse when used as well.

My advice to OP, jump on the highway the second you see that instant gauge start dropping. It can finish quick, and you'll quickly learn how to operate around the emissions-related functions. You can also do a delete, but that's at your own comfort level. You are in the same boat I was when I bought mine... took some learning on my part, and now I get along just fine with the XD diesel.

·
614 Posts
Someone asked if your getting between 150-200 miles between Regens. If that’s the case it sounds right for city driving. Mine did the same until I moved out further into the country.
If it were me while waiting for the dealer I would disconnect the battery’s. Maybe get it to do a relearn. Go get a cleaner i use Diesel Kleen gray bottle and use the maximum amount the bottle says. Change the oil if it is a constant Regen then most likely your oil is diluted with diesel.
Then hook up your trailer again and give it ****.
Stop the warm ups your doing before short trips all that is doing is filling up your DPF. If you look at the screen for the exhaust it may move up a bar or 2 idling. Instead take a longer route. Before moving about once a week I had to take a long drive when it went into Regen.

Good luck

Reactions: jerry

·
323 Posts
Instead take a longer route. Before moving about once a week I had to take a long drive when it went into Regen.
Good luck

What Dudley states above was my solution to regens. My normal commute is 10-15 minutes at 45mph or below. I was getting one or two regens each week so I changed my commute habits. Now, once per week I take the long way home. It only adds 5 minutes to my commute but 90% of it is 55-65mph. I can't even remember the last time I actually noticed it in regen.

·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Don’t the dealers explain to customers how these trucks operate? I might take for granted that not everyone researches what they’re buying before hand to avoid what would be obvious to some and a mystery to others. It’s sort of baffling that a dealer would assume that every buyer knows what they’re getting into vs. simply offering a basic run down of what they’re getting into.
Nope I had to research the truck before i bought it. I went to the dealership and they didn't tell me jack.

·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the advice everyone. I will start bringing it on the highway more when it regen. Just FYI too, this is the 3rd trip to the dealer and they found out that I had a bad fan clutch. It was almost fully engaged all the time. I thought it was a 5.0 Cummins thing so didn't say anything about it. I am guessing that extra load from the fan clutch and not letting it regen all the has alot to do with the poor MPG.

I forgot to mention the previous owner put a leveling kit on it too (looks like garbage when im towing). I will be ripping that out this weekend to see if that will help a little too. I would be happy with 14mpg with that heavy of a truck.

THANKS AGAIN!

·
61 Posts
Thanks for the advice everyone. I will start bringing it on the highway more when it regen. Just FYI too, this is the 3rd trip to the dealer and they found out that I had a bad fan clutch. It was almost fully engaged all the time. I thought it was a 5.0 Cummins thing so didn't say anything about it. I am guessing that extra load from the fan clutch and not letting it regen all the has alot to do with the poor MPG.

I forgot to mention the previous owner put a leveling kit on it too (looks like garbage when im towing). I will be ripping that out this weekend to see if that will help a little too. I would be happy with 14mpg with that heavy of a truck.

THANKS AGAIN!
Regens can be a problem......but not sure that is the entire reason for you bad mileage. Here is What my truck is showing today.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,094 Posts
Don't idle for "warm up" for much more than two minutes. Conversely, allow at least two minutes at idle for shutdown after hard driving or under load (for turbo to cool down) but no longer.
Idling at idle speed unneccessarily has always been a killer on diesels and longevity even without emissions but it really hurts with emissions and a DPF.
If your fan clutch was engaged all the time that would have an impact.

·
616 Posts
You can tell whether the truck is in regen mode using a cheap OTS OBD scanner.

In OBD Fusion, you want to add the following to gauges:

Normalized trigger for DPF regen
DPF regen status

Normalized trigger for DPF regen shows a "percent full" for the DPF filter (really it's a "percent of allowable pressure drop across the filter")
DPF regen status is a boolean, either "0.0" or "1.0" that shows if the truck is in regen

Reactions: jerry and franktafl

·
185 Posts
hello and welcome! there is certainly something amiss here; to me it sounds like you are stuck in frequent regen cycles, and sounds like you are doing some frequent highway and towing so that should keep the regens in check (mine almost never regens and when it does its very short and sweet. but I only use my truck primarily for towing long distances so it makes sense).

what i'm wondering is if your dpf is clogged to the point where even after a regen its not really totally 'clean'. there are pressure sensors in the exhaust pipes that can determine the percentage of 'clogg-i-ness' and decide when to do a regen based on the pressure differential. if your truck is never totally getting all the soot burned out or the pressure sensors are not reading right, then i'd guess you'd end up with symptoms like yours. just my guess tho! good luck!

·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So i just got the truck back from the dealer. Holy **** what a difference in the vibration, soung of the engine and seems to be better mpg. Ended up having a bad fan clutch and they have a new ecu flash for "rich burning" ill keep ya posted in the mean time thanks for all the tips ill try those too!

·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So far a ton of city driving, a little highway, and im getting 18.5 mpg. I would suggest anyone who is getting terrible fuel eco bring it to the dealer and have them check the fan clutch. unless they lied to me the first time, there is a brand new ECU update as well that fixes the "rich burn" issue.

Still love this truck but these dealers need to hire some better mechanics so we dont have to come back 1000 times.

·
6 Posts
My Titan xd keeps doing frequent regens and I two a 10k lb camper and 6k lb boat almost every weekend. It will go out of regen for day then go right back into it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 27 Posts