Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Drove a Pro4x at my local dealer yesterday to finally get a feel for the truck. It had 400 miles on it already, and since we're talking about a serious chunk of change, I asked about ordering one exactly how I want it. I was told it would take over EIGHT MONTHS if I wanted to order one!!! I asked again to be sure he hadn't misspoke and meant to say eight weeks, since several other new vehicles I have ordered took around that amount of time, but no, he confirmed it would take 8 months. I was told that's how Nissan works with all their vehicles, so picking one off the lot or having them source one that's close to what you want is the only logical choice for those who want.

Nice driving truck, but I'm not sure why I'd buy this over a 2016 Ram 2500 Laramie fully loaded that I can get for LESS MONEY. The MPG indication over the 400 miles was 10.3mpg... not sure if they left it running in the parking lot for a long time or if it's truly that awful. Also, for a truck that was touted to be a towing champion... what's the deal with no exhaust brake?

I've waited for this truck for over a year in hopes it would be what I was looking for over a Ram as I'm not overly confident with an Italian owned truck manufacture that's made in Mexico and I've read a fair bit about the Ram's lower build quality too. After seeing the sticker on the Titan at $57,500 for this Pro4x XD and a few mods the stealership proclaims Nissan made them put on it (Stealership told me Nissan made them add at least three options to the first truck that arrives), I'm disappointed, to say the least. I'm realizing that risking owning the Mexican/Italian Murica truck will get me 50+ more hp, 200+ lb/ft of torque, arguably better MPG, the manual transmission a diesel truck should have, and an extra 6,000lbs of towing capacity. The 2016 Laramie I have been considering has an MSRP of $64K and has $10K peeled off the price to actually make it cheaper than the Titan.

My drive home from the dealership made me hope Toyota can pull a rabbit out of a Tundra encrusted hat and do a better job than Nissan, but they better hurry. Nissan has put forth the worst launch of any car release I've seen and I assume their current tactics will leave many of them bolted securely to the showroom floor.

·
17 Posts
8 Months is crazy! Nissan has doomed this truck from the word go. How many other manufactuers have had there 2016 models on the lots for 2 months or more. When the titan xd really hits dealer lots half of 2016 will be gone. i have never seen a realease take so long. i am not sure on pricing either. i really wanted to like this truck but is it the most truck for your money.

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
Unless things have changed in the past month at nissan. There really isn't custom ordering with Nissan. There is set 1-3 grouped packages and that's pretty much it.
There should be some trucks arriving on lots similar to what you want. As I have stated in another thread make sure the dealer has a proven truck sales history. They get better inventory.

·
77 Posts
Nissan didn't do special orders the original Titan and I don't think they do it on any vehicle. You have to wait until your exact configuration comes out of the factory which I imagine could take 8 months.

·
917 Posts
There are not many options available when ordering through Nissan. You can pick the model, colour and an upgrade package with extra features. It is not like ordering from the Big 3 where you have a lot of optional features you can add. Most accessories you can add you can get through a dealer and have installed. Some of the trucks are coming to the dealers without standard options like bed boxes due to a short supply and they will be installed when they become available.
It sounds like the salesman is just trying to get you to buy an in stock truck.
Go to the Nissan website and build the truck you want and then call around to see if anyone has it in stock. If not ask how long it will take to order it.

·
54 Posts
Dealership in southeast Michigan that I ordered my pro 4x through said end of February I placed order late January. So about 6 to 8 weeks

·
70 Posts
Drove a Pro4x at my local dealer yesterday to finally get a feel for the truck. It had 400 miles on it already, and since we're talking about a serious chunk of change, I asked about ordering one exactly how I want it. I was told it would take over EIGHT MONTHS if I wanted to order one!!! I asked again to be sure he hadn't misspoke and meant to say eight weeks, since several other new vehicles I have ordered took around that amount of time, but no, he confirmed it would take 8 months. I was told that's how Nissan works with all their vehicles, so picking one off the lot or having them source one that's close to what you want is the only logical choice for those who want.

Nice driving truck, but I'm not sure why I'd buy this over a 2016 Ram 2500 Laramie fully loaded that I can get for LESS MONEY. The MPG indication over the 400 miles was 10.3mpg... not sure if they left it running in the parking lot for a long time or if it's truly that awful. Also, for a truck that was touted to be a towing champion... what's the deal with no exhaust brake?

I've waited for this truck for over a year in hopes it would be what I was looking for over a Ram as I'm not overly confident with an Italian owned truck manufacture that's made in Mexico and I've read a fair bit about the Ram's lower build quality too. After seeing the sticker on the Titan at $57,500 for this Pro4x XD and a few mods the stealership proclaims Nissan made them put on it (Stealership told me Nissan made them add at least three options to the first truck that arrives), I'm disappointed, to say the least. I'm realizing that risking owning the Mexican/Italian Murica truck will get me 50+ more hp, 200+ lb/ft of torque, arguably better MPG, the manual transmission a diesel truck should have, and an extra 6,000lbs of towing capacity. The 2016 Laramie I have been considering has an MSRP of $64K and has $10K peeled off the price to actually make it cheaper than the Titan.

My drive home from the dealership made me hope Toyota can pull a rabbit out of a Tundra encrusted hat and do a better job than Nissan, but they better hurry. Nissan has put forth the worst launch of any car release I've seen and I assume their current tactics will leave many of them bolted securely to the showroom floor.
The only thing I can suggest about the mileage would be if a lot of folks have made short test drives u know they floored it or it's been idling like you said. To many other mileage tests that have stated better. I ordered mine 2 weeks ago and was told first week of March so about 6 to 7 weeks. That dealer is crazy telling you that. I shopped many dealers and was told same time frame but chose the one I did because they treated me best. I considered the Ram route but my friend has worked for Dodge since 1992 and said if he didn't work there he wouldn't drive their trucks which says a lot. Another friend of mine installs lojacks and he said once u start taking apart a vehicle u see how it's made and he says the big three are the worst. My gen 1 Titan has been the best vehicle I have ever owned so I pulled the trigger based on the results I got from the one I'm driving and price didn't matter. There is something to be said about companies that discount their products by 10000 plus. Nissan and Toyota sell a product and the big three sell a deal in my opinion. I'm sure many will disagree and I respect that just speaking from my experience and opinion.

·
31 Posts
I've owned Nissans, Fords and currently own a Tundra. From a quality standpoint it depends on the year. Ford has gotten better. When I compare cost to maintain, my Ford won. More repairs but overall cost was lower. Tundra very reliable but when something breaks, duck and cover. Right now I need to replace the latch on the center console. It will only cost $770.00.
I had high hopes for the Nissan but I need the carrying capacity not towing and the XD can't carry as much as most 1/2 tons. I

·
70 Posts
I've owned Nissans, Fords and currently own a Tundra. From a quality standpoint it depends on the year. Ford has gotten better. When I compare cost to maintain, my Ford won. More repairs but overall cost was lower. Tundra very reliable but when something breaks, duck and cover. Right now I need to replace the latch on the center console. It will only cost $770.00.
I had high hopes for the Nissan but I need the carrying capacity not towing and the XD can't carry as much as most 1/2 tons. I
Good point the year does matter I've seen that. That console part sounds like a nightmare. There is always some stupid part like that on vehicles it seems. I know there is a formula for payload etc but I will say when the gen 1 Titan came out it had a lower payload and all the big three guys poked fun about it and said it was a joke but when my friends and I would haul our atvs in the back and take turns pulling the same trailer my Titan always squatted the least and Chevys were the worst. A lot has changed with all trucks of course just stating back then the Titan was rated low but even my buddies said that truck can haul some weight. It had one more leaf and wider leafs than their trucks did back then I believe.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts