Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
TFL just posted a video with 9.1 mpg towing 10000 pounds on steep roads. Only 17.5 miles and not manually calculated.

·
8 Posts
I'll wait on TFL's real review in Colorado. I'm sure that mpg number will be less then 9.1 but they will probably pull a heavier trailer and be in high elevation with a steeper grade. I'll wait for those numbers to come out before making my mind on whether or not i buy an XD or a Ram 2500. But those two trucks are like comparing apples to oranges.

·
570 Posts
Thats really good considering the new tacoma got about the same with half that weight in their tests.

·
608 Posts
Fine for towing a lot. It seems like such a low mpg, but it's really not out of step with competitors.

·
1 Posts
I'm going to test drive an XD tomorrow...

I currently have a '14 Ram 1500 with a 5.7L Hemi with variable cylinder management and an 8 spd automatic.

I average 20mpg combined, can get 25-27 mpg highway unloaded, driving the speed limit, no hypermiling, and 10-11 mpg towing an 8k lb travel trailer at the speed limit. I live in Michigan which has low, rolling hills.

Crunching the numbers I get the following:

Gas @ $1.96/gal vs diesel @ $2.19/gal (best prices in my immediate area), DEF $5/1000mi.
500 miles driving Ram vs XD

Ram-Gas
Combined (20mpg)-$49
Highway (24mpg)-$40.83
Towiing (11mpg)-$89.09

XD-Diesel+DEF
Combined (20 mpg)-$57.25
Highway (24 mpg)-$48.13
Towing (11 mpg)-$102.05

For the XD to have fuel cost parity with the Ram it would need to hit these numbers:
Combined-22mpg
Highway-27mpg
Tow-12mpg

I'm skeptical it can hit these numbers.
And that's the only reason I would switch--to get either same fuel cost+better towing experience or better economy when towing.

Sigh...

·
1,979 Posts
You're forgetting to calculate the significant depreciation if you trade your Ram in. If you like your current setup, I'd stay with it.

·
1,300 Posts
What AZ said ^^^

For me my Ram was a 2011 and it was a 3500 and i didn't have a use for a truck with that much capability ne more. I hated the ride it was awful, go out on the weekend golfing or any little 45 min trip and have a headache by the time we showed up to play that truck just sh*t kicked ya.
Things that sold me was the stability of this truck when your towing 10K, and that it gets the same MPG as my deleted 2011 did. So that's a win, when deletes are available for this truck it will be Very good on fuel.. It feels more solid than my 3500 did seriously.
Whatever they did with this truck it is great. I love mine!!

·
904 Posts
Yes towing you will get 12 to 14 however I think your combined is high. Everyday driving depending on terrain is going to be 16 to 19 And highway 18 to 22. Love my truck. But this all depends on terrain, stop signs, traffic and so forth... Good luck on ur decision

·
257 Posts
Down here in SW FL the highest point around is the landfill, so not many hills around.

With my Titan XD diesel I get about 24 mpg on the highway at 70 mph. Around town I'm getting around 16. When towing my 5,500 lb boat and trailer I get about 13 local and about 16 highway at 65 mph. I get about 1,800 miles before I have to refill DEF.

Reactions: TitanCowboy

·
111 Posts
7,500# truck is probably not the one to get if the main goal is fuel economy, but it will get similar economy to lots of trucks and feels really really good and solid when towing.

·
363 Posts
I'm going to test drive an XD tomorrow...

I currently have a '14 Ram 1500 with a 5.7L Hemi with variable cylinder management and an 8 spd automatic.

I average 20mpg combined, can get 25-27 mpg highway unloaded, driving the speed limit, no hypermiling, and 10-11 mpg towing an 8k lb travel trailer at the speed limit. I live in Michigan which has low, rolling hills.

Crunching the numbers I get the following:

Gas @ $1.96/gal vs diesel @ $2.19/gal (best prices in my immediate area), DEF $5/1000mi.
500 miles driving Ram vs XD

Ram-Gas
Combined (20mpg)-$49
Highway (24mpg)-$40.83
Towiing (11mpg)-$89.09

XD-Diesel+DEF
Combined (20 mpg)-$57.25
Highway (24 mpg)-$48.13
Towing (11 mpg)-$102.05

For the XD to have fuel cost parity with the Ram it would need to hit these numbers:
Combined-22mpg
Highway-27mpg
Tow-12mpg

I'm skeptical it can hit these numbers.
And that's the only reason I would switch--to get either same fuel cost+better towing experience or better economy when towing.

Sigh...
You right, you won't come anyway near those #'s. You're getting spectacular fuel economy. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts