Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found some kind of a road trip mpg test on www.cleanmpg.com today. I don't know how this guy got the truck but he got an average of 24.1 mpg in mixed driving of 93.3 miles. I would attach the link but I can't figure out how. I suggest you all head to the website and check it out if you are interested. That's right where I was hoping the mpg would be.

·
24 Posts
http://www.cleanmpg.com/community/index.php?threads/52745/

It appears that to get 24.1 mpg, you'll have to drive 55 mph or less. Take a look at the graph at the bottom of the link which shows mpg vs speed. At the typical interstate speed limit, the mpg are down into the upper teens which is right in-line with the 3/4-ton trucks currently for sale. I am a big fan of this truck, but was hoping that sacrificing hp/torque (compared to the powerstroke/duramax) would yield a significant improvement in fuel mileage.

·
313 Posts
They also have mpg/mph graphs for a RAM 3500 dually and Chevy 2500 elsewhere, both of which get better mileage than the Titan XD. The RAM got 24.2 mpg at 60 mph, compared to the Titan's 22.1

But these tests are not done at the same time, under the same conditions. In particular, temperatures are different, about 19F warmer for the RAM compared to the Nissan, so it's not a "level playing field".

The reviewer does make some good comments comparing the truck's mileage at the end of his review.

·
214 Posts
I like those numbers for an heavy duty with a 5.0L diesel V8.

Wish I could get close to that with my FJ (4.0L gas V6)!

·
570 Posts
Wow one of the most thorough reviews. Interesting what he said about the rpms of the 3.92 gears. 1600 rpm at 60 mph is considerably higher than the others.

·
14 Posts
Could the high rpm shifting be altered with a tuner? If one were to get the current model with the 3.92 gearing, could it be changed out with the 3.55 later if it's offered, or is this something that can't be swapped out

·
570 Posts
You could but u would never gain back your money in fuel savings. A front and rear gear swap costs $2000 or more

·
363 Posts
I recall one video review said tranny software at production would be slightly more fuel efficient. Of course shift point tweaks don't help the higher RPM issue when traveling at steady freeway speeds.

·
363 Posts
With the XD about 10% less fuel efficient across the board, the 6.6L Duramax, 6.7L Cummins, and XD mpg comparison at freeway speeds underwhelms. Nissan didn't get it done for the first XD model year.

·
56 Posts
The truck needs to lose 1000lbs in my opinion. It should also use taller rear gears for mpg and owners can always lock out 6th when towing. The design choices made by Nissan seem a bit strange.

·
492 Posts
The truck needs to lose 1000lbs in my opinion. It should also use taller rear gears for mpg and owners can always lock out 6th when towing. The design choices made by Nissan seem a bit strange.
You might want to lock out 5th too. It is an overdrive gear as well. Not sure if it locks the converter in 5th though.
1000 lb weight loss would be great, but I doubt that they could remove more than a couple of hundred unless they go to aluminum. The non-XD version should be much lighter. The original Titan curb weight was around 5000 lbs depending on which model you have.
I am beginning to think that the new non-XD version with the new 5.6 Endurance engine might be what I really need.
It should be a quick truck unless they make it overweight too.
I just want better brakes, differential, and mpg. :grin2:
I only tow a few times each year, and my trailer weighs less than 7000 lbs when fully loaded. I didn't have much trouble towing it with my 2004 Titan, but my mileage was terrible. 7-8 mpg.
It's all speculation until I get to drive each of them.
Good thing I am not in a hurry.:wink2:

·
56 Posts
You might want to lock out 5th too. It is an overdrive gear as well. Not sure if it locks the converter in 5th though.
1000 lb weight loss would be great, but I doubt that they could remove more than a couple of hundred unless they go to aluminum. The non-XD version should be much lighter. The original Titan curb weight was around 5000 lbs depending on which model you have.
I am beginning to think that the new non-XD version with the new 5.6 Endurance engine might be what I really need.
It should be a quick truck unless they make it overweight too.
I just want better brakes, differential, and mpg. :grin2:
I only tow a few times each year, and my trailer weighs less than 7000 lbs when fully loaded. I didn't have much trouble towing it with my 2004 Titan, but my mileage was terrible. 7-8 mpg.
It's all speculation until I get to drive each of them.
Good thing I am not in a hurry.:wink2:
My 4x4 crew 2012 6.2L Ford F-150 weighs around 6k and its all steel. The payload and towing match the XD. Had Nissan shot for around 6500lbs, the specs would be way better. The more I read, the more it looks like a 3/4 ton but with an early 2000 era diesel motor power wise.

It's early in the game so I'm still content to wait and see how it plays out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts