Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
44 Posts
I like this truck. I am approaching this truck purchase from the point of view " for the same money as a f150 or 1500 series truck I can get the diesel" . I dont see why everyone is getting so wound up about this truck before seeing it, driving it and working numbers on an actual truck!!
Like the canyon/ colorado with the 2.8 Duramx, I'll wait till I see it in person. Then decide....

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
I see it in your point of view as well. And to further that. I tow a good size 8000lb travel trailer often with past and current 1/2 ton that all get tossed around a bit(non more worse then my 2015 f150). Now I don't see the xd getting tossed around at all. Plus it's built to last compared to alot of new generation 1/2 ton.
I have stated it before I gave up my 2012 titan only because of economy. But after 100000k it still felt new. If xd is anything like that it will be great for the guys who buy there trucks for the long term.

·
24 Posts
I like this truck. I am approaching this truck purchase from the point of view " for the same money as a f150 or 1500 series truck I can get the diesel" . I dont see why everyone is getting so wound up about this truck before seeing it, driving it and working numbers on an actual truck!!
Like the canyon/ colorado with the 2.8 Duramx, I'll wait till I see it in person. Then decide....
+1!!!

·
8 Posts
After reading that article, i would say this truck is fitting more of my needs. Like others have said, i'm not totally blown away with the mpg but I'm not disappointed either. I would rather get the XD then a gasoline engine truck.

·
25 Posts
Ehhh. Not too bad. Price is high. A platinum at $60k is within a couple grand of a loaded F250 king ranch or loaded dodge 2500 Laramie longhorn. Payload (from other sources) is probably going to be inadequate for me.

I wonder if quality will improve?

Great article! Thanks for the post.

·
214 Posts
Like they showed in the slide, the market share is a really thin slice in between of the 1/2 and the 3/4.

The posts on this forum generally reflect both sides of this market share:
45% of the post are centered around 'it's way heavier than my 150' and 'mpg is better with this 1/2 tons'.
Another 45% of the post are 'I can tow/carry more with this 250' and 'for a few grand more I can get such and such 3/4 tons'.

The point is that you are all right when you try to compare the XD to a 1/2, or to a 3/4, and yet, you're missing the point!

For those of us who fall into the remaining 10%, this 5/8 truck is just spot on: 5.0L Cummins, no compromise on weight, drive train is over engineered, cabin noise is minimal, seat are comfortable, which all amount to a more confident ride while towing while reducing driver fatigue...

No offense to anyone, but if you don't get it, it's probably because this truck is not for you. Which should statistically be the case for 90% of the truck owners out there :)

·
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Would the weight savings of a king cab be significant enough to impact mpg?
I think that the reduced weight of the King Cab will have minimal effect on mpg.
It should raise the carrying capacity of the truck by that amount though.
It may also increase the empty truck performance just a little bit.
I think that Highway MPG will remain the same, because the drag will not be reduced. City driving could increase, but not much.
JMHO

·
14 Posts
Very well said FJC-4X4. I'll admit, after following the XDs development since th start, I began to waiver after some of the specs started to drop. Theyve really blown the release timeframe, too imo. However, this post really puts things back into perspective for me. I really needed to hear it laid like this. Thanks!

·
25 Posts
Very well said FJC-4X4. I'll admit, after following the XDs development since th start, I began to waiver after some of the specs started to drop. Theyve really blown the release timeframe, too imo. However, this post really puts things back into perspective for me. I really needed to hear it laid like this. Thanks!

Yup, well said. Yup on bad timeline.

I also hold Nissan to a higher standard...and after years of American cars/trucks, I like the added competition of Toyota and Nissan. We'll have to see.

Plus, the rumor mill is not the most accurate source of info.

·
363 Posts
The posts on this forum generally reflect both sides of this market share:
45% of the post are centered around 'it's way heavier than my 150' and 'mpg is better with this 1/2 tons'.
Another 45% of the post are 'I can tow/carry more with this 250' and 'for a few grand more I can get such and such 3/4 tons'.

The point is that you are all right when you try to compare the XD to a 1/2, or to a 3/4, and yet, you're missing the point!

For those of us who fall into the remaining 10%, this 5/8 truck is just spot on: 5.0L Cummins, no compromise on weight, drive train is over engineered, cabin noise is minimal, seat are comfortable, which all amount to a more confident ride while towing while reducing driver fatigue...

No offense to anyone, but if you don't get it, it's probably because this truck is not for you. Which should statistically be the case for 90% of the truck owners out there :)
I think Nissan was very clear about the target audience, the bloggers/journalists repeated the talking points, so everyone got that. The issue is Nissan could have done a better job distinguishing the XD as a true tweener.

Maybe you missed the point on the weight complaint. The big picture is the XD is heavy like a 3/4 ton but only meets or slightly exceeds currently available half ton towing/hauling. Over-engineering adds cost, reduces fuel economy, offsets tow/haul capability, and doesn't add value if there's a weak link holding tow/haul numbers below expectations. And make no mistake about it, there was near universal disappointment with the final XD tow/haul numbers. On the other hand, if there's no weak link, Nissan should bump up XD towing/hauling to true tweener levels. Maybe Nissan low-balled it to assess the first year production and then will evaluate for the 2nd year.

The XD versus 3/4 ton price issue comes down to capability and value. If prices are close many might opt for a more proven and capable 3/4 ton vehicle. Plus 3/4 ton manufacturers will put up a price fight in an effort to maintain market share. In the end, there's no guarantees for XD sales as tweener customers will still compare capability and value. And so far XD fuel economy might be closer to the 3/4 tons that anyone had hoped.

·
25 Posts
Frost nailed it. That was perfectly articulated. I like the XD concept. Wish mileage was just a little better and payload 500+ pounds better.

Also, F250 completely new for 2017 (introduced mid to late 16).

Ram 2500 completely new for 2018 (possibly with rear fold-under-the-floor seats and full LED lighting).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts