Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long time follower here but first time posting. Hoping to get some feedback from all you experts!
I've had Nissan's all my life and I'm now looking for a XD diesel to put a slide in truck camper on.
So my first question is can this be done or maybe more importantly should this be done?
As far as I can tell the highest payload for any models is around 2500lb for the S level. I have read numbers as high as 2910lb but I'm not certain how that's possible.
Here's a link to that number:

So what trim level and what package would be ideal for a slide in truck camper?
Any aftermarket add ons that could increase payload?
I would looking to haul a camper of roughly 1800lbs (dry weight) and it would be for my wife and I and two young boys (both under three years old).
Any advice on which campers would work, if any at all?

Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated!

Hoots

·
614 Posts
No it should not be done. Save yourself the hassle. Get a 1Ton with payload to spare. I would also goes a far as to say get a long bed with the biggest camper you can get with 4 people. I’m not sure if this is your first camper but mine was. It is a great starter camper price was right and fit a short bed. Now I have a better idea of what I want and need. One of those needs is I look at black/gray water capacity. With 4 people going to be in there you may want to look at ones with slide outs. The last time we went to camper dealer my wife and I went out and spent a lot of time in the campers seeing what fit our needs. If you can take the kids let them down see how they do inside. You have to baby proof a house same here.
I will say the Nissan XD did do good hauling the camper. But when I went across the scales it was overload. That 1800lbs means nothing mine says 1575lbs dry. When loaded up mines at around 2500lbs. You have two young kids your wife will want to pack everything. That’s extra weight and you need storage for the stuff too.

·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No it should not be done. Save yourself the hassle. Get a 1Ton with payload to spare. I would also goes a far as to say get a long bed with the biggest camper you can get with 4 people. I’m not sure if this is your first camper but mine was. It is a great starter camper price was right and fit a short bed. Now I have a better idea of what I want and need. One of those needs is I look at black/gray water capacity. With 4 people going to be in there you may want to look at ones with slide outs. The last time we went to camper dealer my wife and I went out and spent a lot of time in the campers seeing what fit our needs. If you can take the kids let them down see how they do inside. You have to baby proof a house same here.
I will say the Nissan XD did do good hauling the camper. But when I went across the scales it was overload. That 1800lbs means nothing mine says 1575lbs dry. When loaded up mines at around 2500lbs. You have two young kids your wife will want to pack everything. That’s extra weight and you need storage for the stuff too.
Ok Ok, so that almost puts the nail in the coffin for the diesel. However, there still remains the gas SV titan? That has a posted payload of 2,440 lbs. With a light weight camper, lets say 1500 dry weight, are we in the ballpark? I realize the camper would be basic but that's what I am going for anyway.

Thanks

·
1,475 Posts
I absolutely love my xd, it tows my camper like a dream. But I dont think I'd put one of those in the bed. Makes it too top heavy. Me personally I wouldnt put a truck camper in anything but a dually.

·
578 Posts
For the cost difference between a slide in camper and a tow behind trailer you get more for the buck. Slide in campers are expensive, make the vehicle top heavy, hassle to get on and off so are left on most of the time. Put additional strain on suspension and brakes etc. get a tow behind or baby 5th wheel.

·
35 Posts
For the cost difference between a slide in camper and a tow behind trailer you get more for the buck. Slide in campers are expensive, make the vehicle top heavy, hassle to get on and off so are left on most of the time. Put additional strain on suspension and brakes etc. get a tow behind or baby 5th wheel.
I agree 100%. I’ve borrowed a truck camper before and it was okay for me and a buddy simply for a place to crash during a NASCAR weekend. I would never own one. The 5th wheel and bumper tow campers are just better and offer more for the money. (Those slide-ins aren’t cheap!)

·
614 Posts
Ok Ok, so that almost puts the nail in the coffin for the diesel. However, there still remains the gas SV titan? That has a posted payload of 2,440 lbs. With a light weight camper, lets say 1500 dry weight, are we in the ballpark? I realize the camper would be basic but that's what I am going for anyway.

Thanks
Yes on paper it works. I’m telling you the weight adds up real quick and you run out of payload real quick. I will agree the XD is a great tow rig. When you get to a slide in camper you should look at a 1Ton. Don’t even bother looking at a 3/4 ton from the big3.
I agree 100%. I’ve borrowed a truck camper before and it was okay for me and a buddy simply for a place to crash during a NASCAR weekend. I would never own one. The 5th wheel and bumper tow campers are just better and offer more for the money. (Those slide-ins aren’t cheap!)
Have to agree it’s just me and my wife. The camper gets cramped. Your going to have 2 more people who may be less than 3 now but will grow up and quickly. I couldn’t have 4 people in my camper. The reason I choose a camper was so I could tow a car trailer behind it. The 1Ton came into play again for the payload (camper, people, stuff and tongue weight)
If you are set on getting a camper please get a 1Ton and the biggest you can your wife will thank you. If it was only you and her a basic little camper would be just fine but you have 2 boys also. In your case a travel trailer would be better just for the amount of space alone. As you can also see mine doesn’t have a porch so the step up is high I wouldn’t want to carry 2 kids up there.

·
35 Posts
I’m in a campground right now in Lillian, Alabama doing a “shakedown” week on my toy hauler. A couple of things that I noticed is a) most people here are drunk before dark and b) most seem to be in a bad mood in the morning.
I wonder if one reason for these two occurrences are simply being in a crowded camper with 2-4 adults and 2-6 kids? There’s very little privacy. Get a big trailer!

·
25 Posts
An XD will do just fine with a light pop-up truck camper. I think it would be asking for trouble with a bigger hard-side camper of any type.

Whether a truck camper will work for you depends on how you like to camp. If you are a destination camper that likes to go places to do stuff and spend time outdoors, only getting in the camper to sleep or get out of the weather, a pop-up is great and would work well on a truck like the XD.

If you like to spend more time inside on your trips, eating and watching TV etc, you would be happier with a hard side and a long bed truck, and would really be better off with a stout 3/4 ton or 1-ton (dually best of all). Mama will generally want a hard side because of ability to get an actual toilet instead of the cassette version of a Home Depot bucket. Hard sides and luxuries translate to WEIGHT. With a dually pickup handling can be very good, but with a single wheel truck particularly one that is lifted or has large tires, handling can get squirrely really quick.

Loading / unloading the camper is not a big deal at all if you have a good solid surface to park it (gravel pad works fine) and electric remote control jacks. I had a Bigfoot 2500 I used with a Dodge dually for years and took it on / off the truck many many times plus hauled it well over a hundred thousand miles before I sold it. It had a wired remote controller for the electric jacks and never took more than 20 minutes to load even when I was being extra careful. I had Torklift tie-downs on the truck, they look like mini hitch receivers, just pop them in and then attach tie down chains which had spring-loaded turnbuckles, nothing to it.

Here are some pointers based on my experience, YMMV:
1) Have enough truck for the job, payload is CRITICAL.
2) Camper manufacturers lie like hell, the dry weights they advertise are often far less than the actual weight. A typical full size non-lite version hardside truck camper will weigh well over 4,000 pounds, some in excess of 5K, when loaded and ready to roll.
3) Most critical influence on handling is the height which strongly affects the truck's center of gravity. A lifted truck with large tires makes it even worse. Do everything you can to keep center of gravity low by putting heavy items as low in the camper as possible (preferably basement if your camper has one), travel with tanks empty
4) Dually wheels significantly help with stability - it can be a night and day difference.
5) Check tire pressure frequently, check turnbuckle tie-downs for tightness frequently
6) Drive SLOWER than you do with the truck unloaded. Keeping it at 65 mph or less will make for a much less stressful ride
7) Keep an eye out for tree limbs and low clearances, a full size truck camper can be very tall.
8) Pay close attention to the options for steps to get in and out of the camper. Some of them have scissor-steps which are rugged and work well, but typically have narrow slippery steps and are all too easy to bust your ass on.

I absolutely loved my truck campers, our family had great fun with them. Highly recommended....

·
25 Posts
Recipe for crowded campers in 2020 is the same as it was in the 1960s. "Kids, here's a tent. Set it up by the camper here and have fun. Your Mom and I will be right here if you need anything."

"Dad! Dad! It's raining!"
"Really? Wow better stay in that tent if you want to keep dry."

"Dad! Dad! There's something clawing at the side of the tent!"
"Really? I bet it's a monster, go to sleep and it might not eat you."

"Dad! Dad! I need to pee!"
"Is your brother's canteen handy?"

LOL I love camping....

·
1,475 Posts
Recipe for crowded campers in 2020 is the same as it was in the 1960s. "Kids, here's a tent. Set it up by the camper here and have fun. Your Mom and I will be right here if you need anything."

"Dad! Dad! It's raining!"
"Really? Wow better stay in that tent if you want to keep dry."

"Dad! Dad! There's something clawing at the side of the tent!"
"Really? I bet it's a monster, go to sleep and it might not eat you."

"Dad! Dad! I need to pee!"
"Is your brother's canteen handy?"

LOL I love camping....
🤣🤣🤣🤣

·
578 Posts
Yup, my dad had slide-in campers and all me and my sister did was fight. Many a time I set up my own tent so I did not have to hear my dad’s super load snoring. His best rig was a 1 ton long-bed with duel wheels.

·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I appreciate all the advice, it’s helped to make my decision. I was set on the SV gas, 2440lb payload, and a light weight camper (dry weight 1300lbs) but it sounds like that would be problematic. So instead it’s on to a F-250 super duty (3600lb payload). I’ve never owned a Ford, wish me luck...

·
3 Posts
It might be too late but I have 2017 gas platinum reserve and a palomino pop up camper. I installed a set of airbags and it has been great for a family of 4. We traveled all the way to Canada and back to Texas and never had any problem.

·
1,475 Posts
It might be too late but I have 2017 gas platinum reserve and a palomino pop up camper. I installed a set of airbags and it has been great for a family of 4. We traveled all the way to Canada and back to Texas and never had any problem.
Oh now something like that would definitly work. That thing is probably lite as a feather

·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Interesting...
Not too late, still shopping hard.
What's the dry weight on the camper? Rough estimate on total weight once you're all loaded up?

Thanks

·
3 Posts
Interesting...
Not too late, still shopping hard.
What's the dry weight on the camper? Rough estimate on total weight once you're all loaded up?

Thanks
The camper is palomino ss1251 and the dry weight is around 1750 lb and my estimate for the wet weight is around 2200 lb; 300 lb for four of us (we are skinny) and extra gears. We don't carry a full tank of water though and we bring the bare minimum for the trip (1-2 month) since we mostly stay at KOA campgrounds. My truck payload 1980 lb, so it is 100-200 lb over the sticker, but the truck is stable and never had any mechanical failure last 3 years.

·
1,475 Posts
The camper is palomino ss1251 and the dry weight is around 1750 lb and my estimate for the wet weight is around 2200 lb; 300 lb for four of us (we are skinny) and extra gears. We don't carry a full tank of water though and we bring the bare minimum for the trip (1-2 month) since we mostly stay at KOA campgrounds. My truck payload 1980 lb, so it is 100-200 lb over the sticker, but the truck is stable and never had any mechanical failure last 3 years.
Watch out man, the weight police are brutal here, you might get a good lashing hahaha. Me personally I could careless

1 - 20 of 21 Posts