Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New member here. Recently traded in my '06 Titan with 230k+ on the clock for a gently used '16 Pro4x. So far my only complaint is with the factory system. Just like my old one, this thing feels like it's 5+ years behind in technology. The built-in apps are slow and buggy. The nav and voice commands are just as bad. I gave up using voice control after 2 tries and entering anything in to the nav is just a waste. And no car play/Android Auto? The big 3 have Nissan beat as far as tech goes. I ended up putting a mag mount on the dash for my phone and just use that for nav and streaming.

I've been researching what it will take to swap the head unit. I've seen a thread or two on here and a few other sites as well as a few installs other late model non-titan nissan makes that should share similar technology.

I see a few things that need to be sorted out in order for an install to be "seemless". I'm a proponent of "plug and play" for the most part with no permanent mods that can't be undone.

• Dash Bezel - Metra already has one available. Cheap too! I have one of these on order.
  • Wiring harness - I have found some options and ordered what I believe is the correct harness online. I need to pull the dash apart to verify the connector. I suspect there will be other connectors I'll have to deal with for the other integrated systems.
  • Steering wheel controls - I'm digging in to this. I suspect it uses the same "language" as other late model Nissan makes, but it seems the aftermarket hasn't bothered to dig in to this yet. I'll be tearing my dash apart to try to probe and scope the signal from the controls.
  • AroundView Monitor - my research tells me the the around view is a separate controller that only feeds a video signal to the HU. It should be 3-wires, (2 for video and 1 for switching). There may also be a 4th wire for switching the modes in the module (i.e.: when you press the "camera" button on the dash and it toggles between front, rear, surround, etc.) That may required an external micro button on the dash to change modes. This is all on the assumption that Nissan didn't change anything from previous generations of AroundView.
  • Factory amp integration - making a few assumptions here, but I don't anticipate this being overly hard. There should be typical line-level outs and a power cord to turn the amp on. More probing is in order here.
  • Hand free microphone - not super worried about this as it'll be easy enough to just use a new wired microphone, but if I can find the pin-out for the factory mic, I intend to try to use it.
My plan is either for a generic Android OS head unit or a higher end unit that supports Android Auto and screen mirroring. I like the idea of the android unit, but they are almost all off-brand Chinese units with a low chance of long-term support. You pretty much need to plan on replacing them every 2-3 years...but you can get them for $2-300 which makes that far less painful than paying $5-800+ for a Kenwood, Alpine, etc.

Quite the list of things to research and poke around with, but I plan to make this happen within the next couple-few months. As soon as I get a free weekend, I plan to pull the dash apart and start mapping the factory harness. If anyone has been in there already and has some pics of what the wiring looks like, I'd love to see them.

·
1,251 Posts
I checked Crutchfield the other day...there isn't a module available to interface with the steering wheel controls and camera yet. There are install kits available but those features will not work.

Factory amp would still work.

·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I poured over about 200 pages of the FSM for the AV system this morning and there are some hints in the troubleshooting/diagnostics section that lead me to believe the steering wheel controls can be cracked. I suspect they're the same or very similar to other late model Nissans. It may just be a matter of reconfiguring a harness to work.

Unless Crutchfield is using stock photo, I don't believe the install harness they show will work. It appears to be a generic "late model nissan" harness.

I found this pic of the back of the '16/'17 factory head unit (unclear if there's a difference between factory amp and non). The primary harness we'd need plugs in to the two 24-pin white connectors all the way to right side in the picture. I haven't seen anyone selling anything that looks like that....unless they're all using generic photos.

Do you know of someone who has actually installed an aftermarket unit using one of these harnesses?

Attachments

·
145 Posts
Saw a post in this section earlier that there appears to be a steering wheel control retention harness made by Access Integrate. When I go to their website https://axxessinterfaces.com and enter in vehicle details, it does appear that the ASWC-1 will work to retain controls. I have not tried this, and am not certain it will work, but it appears that it would provided you connect it to a compatible head unit.

·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Saw a post in this section earlier that there appears to be a steering wheel control retention harness made by Access Integrate. When I go to their website <i can't even quote a link!> and enter in vehicle details, it does appear that the ASWC-1 will work to retain controls. I have not tried this, and am not certain it will work, but it appears that it would provided you connect it to a compatible head unit.
axxessinterfaces.com/product/ASWC-1?Year=2016&Make=Nissan&Model=Titan+XD

It's a universal controller, but I do believe it will work. The biggest drawback to me is you have to manually tap in to the wiring harness for the steering wheel controls. I'm hoping someone will make a plug-in adapter so there's not cutting of the truck's harness involved. If not, I believe I may be able to source the OEM plugs to make my own.

·
308 Posts
There is basically nothing for our trucks in the Audio aftermarket. My experience with trying to get aftermarket head units that take over OEM functionality to be 10 times worse than the OEM unit. Trust me, its not worth the headache.

·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There is basically nothing for our trucks in the Audio aftermarket. My experience with trying to get aftermarket head units that take over OEM functionality to be 10 times worse than the OEM unit. Trust me, its not worth the headache.
Somebody's got to do it. :wink2:

I've been studying the plugs on other Nissan makes and they look very, very...identical. It's not likely that Nissan reinvented the wheel for this system so other than possible changing the pin-out on the harness, I don't think it's going to be all the difficult. It's just going to take some time for me to get a free weekend to really tear in to it. I'm working under the assumption that these things aren't selling well enough to justify a ton of aftermarket support.

I'm ordering a new Android head unit for my trail xTerra any way so I'll use that as the guinea pig before I install it it the X.

·
7 Posts
So Ive been working on my XD trying to crack the steering wheel controls. I have the axxess Interface ASCW-1. The manual and instructions do not match the harness on the XD Headunit. NCPAtrol the picture of the HU you have is what i have in my XD. Ive basically tested every wire and also i got the wiring diagram from nissan. I payed $20 for 24 hours and basically took pictures of what i needed. The steering wheel controls can not be found behind the HU. The only place i could get them are by the steering column. So I know I have the correct wires but the interface will not work. I have to call Axxess on Monday and see what we can figure out. On the plus side i was able to get the factory camera tapped into the Pioneer unit. So hopefully we can get this to work. If not it is always fun trying

·
169 Posts
So close!

I am so excited to hear of your progress. I cannot wait to dump my ****. Keep pushing on, I think you ma be closer than anyone else has been.

·
7 Posts
Ok so good news and bad news. Good news I was able to get the steering controls to work with the ASCW-1. Bad news is we lose the ability to control the instrument cluster panel. Basically the way the XD is wired is the steering control switch goes to the cluster panel. I cut the 2 wires for the steering control switch at the cluster panel. Hence eliminating those from working. It did allow the switches to control the aftermarket HU. Once I have the ASCW-1 programmed and reconnect the cluster panel wires I lose Volume up and the arrow right. We retain volume down and arrow left. But we are not able to arrow left on the cluster anymore. So basically I feel like I am at square one. Ill have to wait to talk to the guys at AXXESS and hopefully they can help with the programming. I am hoping the information I found can help them figure out which wires we need on the ASCW-1.

·
7 Posts
Temporary Fix

OK So unfortunately there is not a permanent solution for the steering wheel controls. After speaking with Axxess tech support they are aware of the issue and ran into the same problems I did. Mixed signals from the controls and the ability to control one or the other. I decided i made it this far so I'm going to make a temporary fix. I added an ON-OFF-ON switch next to my cargo light switch. I bought a switch at the auto store that fit into the open switch spot. That way i did not have to drill and if and when a solution comes i can remove the switch and replace the blank insert. The switch will allow me to leave it on for the controlling of the aftermarket HU and if I need to control the Driver information center i switch the switch the other way. To me its a win. I had an old Pioneer AVIC8000NEX and i was able to update that to car play and everything works great. If anyone is willing to take on this project i can do a write up and also help anyone interested in doing it this way.

Attachments

·
145 Posts
That's definitely interesting. Did your truck have the Rockford Fosgate system or not? I've heard that that may throw another wrinkle into it, but not sure. My hangup was the steering wheel controls. I really wanted to keep those. I'd be interested in a write-up.

·
7 Posts
My system was Navigation without amp. So from that perspective it was easy. Even with an amp it should be to complicated to integrate the existing amp. When I did go on Nissan tech site I did grab all the pin-out and wiring schematics for both amp and non amp systems. Another pic in the daylight. It is a clean install.

Attachments

·
7 Posts
Yes. Using a usb mini to usb cable. The connector on the usb and aux port next to the cigarette lighter port is just a usb mini. So using a usb mini to usb you are able to plug into the existing jack. It does not clip in but it is secure enough that it will stay on its own.

·
15 Posts
So, just to confirm, the metro radio harness did work for the connection? I don’t need to tap into the steering wheel. I am just looking to make a dummy connection by using both the male and female harness they sell to tap into the wires for my DSP. I really don’t like cutting factory wires.

·
7 Posts
Yes the Metra 7552 harness works. Remember this is without an amplifier. The main power, ground, constant, and all speaker wires are at that harness. Wires for the camera and reverse wire are in a different harness.

·
29 Posts
The shortage of aftermarket parts for our Titans has led me to a question. What other Nissan’s, which may be more prevalent, use the same head unit as the Titan? I don’t want to replace the head unit, just want to connect to it. There must be a way to input video into the head unit so we can use a Carplay tongle like this one. (https://avinusa.com/apple-carplay-android-auto-usb-adapter.html) I understand that we would need to bypass the in motion video lock to do this but it has been done on other vehicles.

·
66 Posts
I'm curious if anyone is sitting on a good or bad video of how the Infotainment bezel comes apart, to gain access behind the Unit. (I remember the 1st Gens were like an easy pop-off)
I've tried to find a place to attempt to pop-off the XD bezel but no success, yet.
I'd appreciate any hints as to how to go about it. (If anyone out there has successfully done it)
My stereo is the Infotainment version with RF.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 - 20 of 57 Posts