Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its believe that the Titan XD makes use of a down rated version of the Aisin AS69RC six speed found in the HD Cummins Rams

The Aisin AS69RC is a medium duty 6 speed automatic transmission offered in the 2013 Ram HD. It is similar in design to the AS68RC, which was only available in chassis cab Rams mated to the 6.7L Cummins. The AS69RC is one of three transmissions offered for 2013, and will be standard on the high output version (385 hp/850 lb-ft) of the 6.7L Cummins. The transmission is larger and more robust than both the AS68RC and 68RFE. Ram claims the transmission has a 64% higher input torque capacity than the 68RFE. It is manufactured by Aison Seiki, a Japanese automotive parts supplier. Though actual input torque capacity is unknown, its application suggests it is in the 850-950 lb-ft range. For comparison, the AS68RC has a max input capacity of 750 lb-ft. The AS69RC also replaces the AS68RC in chassis cab models for 2013. Its wide ratio spread provides low gearing for tow applications, while a relatively high 0.63 second overdrive keeps engine rpm low at highway speeds to maximize fuel economy.
http://www.dieselhub.com/trans/aisin-AS69RC.html

·
2019 Titan XD Pro4x Cummins
665 Posts
I think they put a pretty high torque transmission in, so when people plug in the first 400hp programmers in, the transmission doesn't look bad.

·
203 Posts
WRONG!!!! Asisin HAS made a NEW transition for the XD.
Even if it a down rated version as69rc, wouldn't that make it a completely new transmission? I mean, if it's a version that's never been used before in a vehicle then it's technically new. Or are you saying that it shares absolutely nothing(other than manufacturer) in common with rams version?

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
WRONG!!!! Asisin HAS made a NEW transition for the XD.
Negative Sir, This transmission is exactly the same as the AS69RC out of the dodge 3500 minus the casting provisions and was renamed the Aisin A466ND per Nissan. The unit houses the same gear-train and ratios are identical as well to the AS69RC. This transmission is not "Derated", and if anyone wonders why for a 5/8 ton costs almost as much as a 3/4 ton...here is your answer. Heavy running gear and chassis coupled with a state-of-the-art diesel from Cummins is going to cost some cheddar. Heck even the rear axle (from the NV3500) by the NV3500 standards is essentially a 6000lb rated axle, but for the XD it's rated at 4900. American Axle even rates it well north of both ratings. But knowing you have these duty rated components gives me piece of mind as well as you current owners. Nissan basically bought commercial-off-the-shelf (COTS)...acquisition jargon...when building this truck. Platforms and components that are already proven in the field to save countless hours in R&D. There will always be growing pains and a few bumps in production, but over all...it's a built machine.

BigRed

·
16 Posts
So to sum it up this transmission should hold just about any bolt on power the 5.0 cummins can handle? Like 400whp and 700wtq?

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
So to sum it up this transmission should hold just about any bolt on power the 5.0 cummins can handle? Like 400whp and 700wtq?

Yes it should...within reason...I had to eat some crow after a trans builder tore one down and there was a small difference from the Nissan/Aisin version to the Ram version of the Aisin AS69RC. The input shaft/drum of our transmission is the shaft from the previous gen AS68RC, not the larger shaft from the newest AS69RC, and we have a smaller converter...but everything else is pretty much the same. Not to worry though, the AS68RC sat behind 800ftlbs of cummins in the RAM for years with no issues...only when you turned up the power on them (100-200hp) and that smaller input shaft would fail. So I'm pretty confident that this transmission will hold the power with this truck just fine. On max-effort tunes, they have hurt the converter....and those are usually around 450hp/805tq to the wheels. Obviously your mileage will vary depending how you drive the truck.

·
423 Posts
Anybody making a converter yet? I've head some talk about Suncoast but haven't got any confirmation.

·
23 Posts
After reading this I am quite pleased in my choice.

This is as I have said a japanese Allison...LOL

Tough transmission and great truck.

Now to add a front locker in my Pro 4X

1 - 11 of 11 Posts