Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I’ve been driving the 2018 XD Pro4X since August 2018. It’s a great truck and I’ve logged about 36,000 miles on it since Purchased. Other than a couple of minor issues (that we’re promptly repaired) I’ve had no issues. Majority of the miles are highway and any towing has been minimal and light (compared to its rated capacity.) service as required.

So a few days ago it happened while driving 60 mph down the highway & not towing anything. I’ve never felt or heard anything prior that raised any concerns. It just happened.

Short of this, it appears the crankshaft has broken. I sure wasn’t aware of any similar issues until just now when I read it in this forum. So I joined the forum & the broken crankshaft club all at the same time.

I’m going to be optimistic on this. As of today it’s my understanding that they are going to replace the long block. Anyway I just wanted to intro myself and add my 5.0 Cummins to the list of crankshaft failures. What little research I’ve done it appears there are several others out there with this same failure?

·
929 Posts
Hey guys,

I’ve been driving the 2018 XD Pro4X since August 2018. It’s a great truck and I’ve logged about 36,000 miles on it since Purchased. Other than a couple of minor issues (that we’re promptly repaired) I’ve had no issues. Majority of the miles are highway and any towing has been minimal and light (compared to its rated capacity.) service as required.

So a few days ago it happened while driving 60 mph down the highway & not towing anything. I’ve never felt or heard anything prior that raised any concerns. It just happened.

Short of this, it appears the crankshaft has broken. I sure wasn’t aware of any similar issues until just now when I read it in this forum. So I joined the forum & the broken crankshaft club all at the same time.

I’m going to be optimistic on this. As of today it’s my understanding that they are going to replace the long block. Anyway I just wanted to intro myself and add my 5.0 Cummins to the list of crankshaft failures. What little research I’ve done it appears there are several others out there with this same failure?
Damn man sorry to hear about that. What oil did you run?

·
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mobil Delvac. It’s what they use at the dealership. I’m 100% OEM bone stock and all service done at the dealership. I personally don’t think oil type was a factor but I could be wrong.

·
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do you tow a lot? and if so how heavy?
Like I said I the original post not much towing. As a matter of fact not enough to matter. To be honest it’s shocking that a Cummins engine with 36,000 miles of highway driving broke a crank shaft. What I’d like to know is how many of these crank shafts have broken?

·
Banned
356 Posts
Like I said I the original post not much towing. As a matter of fact not enough to matter. To be honest it’s shocking that a Cummins engine with 36,000 miles of highway driving broke a crank shaft. What I’d like to know is how many of these crank shafts have broken?
There have been a handful of them, mostly on 16 and 17 models from what I have seen. Personally I think it's a bad batch of cranks rather than an engine design issue. Why? Because you got guys like Joshua Chapman who was running 100+psi and making over 800 HP with this motor without any engine failures. Lots of other deleted trucks making good power with no issues. Then you have some, both deleted and stock, that have broken cranks. I would like to tear down a couple and see what is causing the issue. Crank manufacturing flaw? Oiling issue? Something else? Nissan won't tear into them though. They just ship em back to the manufacturer.

·
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I’d love to know as well. I enquired to what the internals looked like and they had not dropped the pan. Sounds like once they determined the front of the crankshaft wasn’t turning with the starter they didn’t go any further into the engine and I was left with the impression they wouldn’t go any further into it unless instructed to by Nissan. They did drain the oil but told me nothing alarming was seen in the oil such as any excessive metal.

It could be a handful of faulty stock/material. Can’t rule out a lubrication issue. I like hearing the high mileage reports on these engines. Gives me hope on the replacement long block.

·
10 Posts
Hey guys,

That is rough when that happens. Forging a crank is a state of art process..been like that for a while now. So why do they suffer failure later rather than sooner. Bad forge, heat, spun bearings, no lubrication creating excess heat. It would have to be sent to a Cummins engineer for final report why it failed. Customers will not be told why we can only assume why.

I wish you luck. I am at the other end of towing. I tow heavy almost 12K a year. I average 13k on my 5th wheel all the time and I am close to 50k on the truck. I expect this truck to do the job, I am in the smokey mtns at the moment and it does have to work a little. I wish cummins would release stats on the motor but right now it appears that will never happen due to its discontinued state. Take care.

·
250 Posts
just last night at a trunk or treat I met a Cummins tech from a dealership in VA beach on Bonnie Rd. He noticed my truck and started a conversation about them. That's when he informed me that he was a tech and that there has been over 400 that have broken crankshafts. He also said that Nissan/Cummins have no clue what's causing them. He thinks that with the blueish color on the ones he replaced he thinks it's a oiling/heat issue. We had a good 30 or so minutes talking about our truck. We go to the same church so I'll talk more to him next time I see him.

·
250 Posts
I just wanna know what I can modify to prevent either of my trucks from doing this.

I’ve switched to 5K intervals, but I dunno if that’s enough.
I agree I like the truck but... Don't necessarily trust it either. I think excessive regens and the heat it makes along with 10w30 semi synthetic that the dealer uses might be the cause but I don't know. I looked into trading it in but they just don't hold their value. Plus the price on a big three gas or diesel are high where I live. F250 with the gas that was compatible to mine started at $64,000. I don't daily mine anymore so I will take my time to decide.

·
271 Posts
I just wanna know what I can modify to prevent either of my trucks from doing this.

I’ve switched to 5K intervals, but I dunno if that’s enough.
I'm at 5K interval too, I switch cause I saw thick oil (dirty) at 5K, did change few more at 10K and 15K. I also check viscosity (visually) in between @2.5K

·
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Any of you doing the early oil changes having any of them analyzed by Blackstone? I’d be curious to know what the findings are? Personally I don’t think it’s the oil type or brand. If it’s due to lubrication I’d think it would be from lack of oil or poor oiling. Who knows?

·
94 Posts
Any of you doing the early oil changes having any of them analyzed by Blackstone? I’d be curious to know what the findings are? Personally I don’t think it’s the oil type or brand. If it’s due to lubrication I’d think it would be from lack of oil or poor oiling. Who knows?
I did an analysis on my first pull change and will be doing another in a couple of days when I change it again. I plan on doing them every time. I'll post both when I get the results back.

Stay frosty

1 - 20 of 50 Posts