Nissan Titan XD Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2016, XD PR Diesel Headed out for Branson, MO from Florida yesterday. 11k 5th wheel in tow.
About 4 hours in, the CEL came on (yellow) with no other indications. All “gauges” are normal, full power and no apparent reason for the light. We stopped to eat and it came on when I restarted. Outside air temp was about 80, so no extreme heat.
My girlfriend started looking through the owners manual and found that the diesel trucks have a red CEL light that does indicate trouble.
The yellow CEL is for gas motors and is indicative of a coolant over temp situation.

Any ideas?

·
316 Posts
Unless you pull the code and tell us what it is, the only thing we can do is guess and the possibilities are endless. My first 3 guesses would be, coolant level low or bad senor. If you have a pedal commander hooked up. Or if you have a catch can installed.

Stay frosty

·
2018 Titan XD SV 4x4, 5.0 Cummings, Midnight
31 Posts
2016, XD PR Diesel Headed out for Branson, MO from Florida yesterday. 11k 5th wheel in tow.
About 4 hours in, the CEK came on (yellow) with no other indications. All “gauges” are normal, full power and no apparent reason for the light. We stopped to eat and it came on when I restarted. Outside air temp was about 80, so no extreme heat.
My girlfriend started looking through the owners manual and found that the diesel trucks have a red CEK light that does indicate trouble.
The yellow CEK is for gas motors and is indicative of a coolant over temp situation.

Any ideas?
Wow. The exact same thing happened to me today. Heading to the scales and 2 miles down the road reduce power and yellow check engine light. Pulled into a parking lot and checked all fluids and Diesel cap as well as Def cap. Fired the truck back up, reduced power was gone but yellow check engine light still on. Had this truck about a month and will be the second time into the shop. First time was a week after buying it and they had to replace DEF flow pump. I have no idea, but heading to AutoZone and see if they can check what it is.

UPDATE:. Went to O'reilly and in the way reduce power came back on. O'Reillys checked and NO error codes showed up. Fired up the truck and Just yellow engine on. Off to Nissan Monday.

·
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow. The exact same thing happened to me today. Heading to the scales and 2 miles down the road reduce power and yellow check engine light. Pulled into a parking lot and checked all fluids and Diesel cap as well as Def cap. Fired the truck back up, reduced power was gone but yellow check engine light still on. Had this truck about a month and will be the second time into the shop. First time was a week after buying it and they had to replace DEF flow pump. I have no idea, but heading to AutoZone and see if they can check what it is.

UPDATE:. Went to O'reilly and in the way reduce power came back on. O'Reillys checked and NO error codes showed up. Fired up the truck and Just yellow engine on. Off to Nissan Monday.
I made it to Branson with no reduced power, but the CEL the whole day. I am going to try and find a reader, maybe see a dealer this week.

·
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Unless you pull the code and tell us what it is, the only thing we can do is guess and the possibilities are endless. My first 3 guesses would be, coolant level low or bad senor. If you have a pedal commander hooked up. Or if you have a catch can installed.

Stay frosty
Factory stock, I haven’t changed a thing.

·
1,067 Posts
I’m willing to bet the sensor in your coolant tank has failed.

Requires replacing entire tank because it’s one unit. Covered under warranty.

·
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Factory stock, I haven’t changed a thing.
It was a boost actuator valve code. It reset and my gf and I figured out that it popped on a hard acceleration uphill getting up to speed after a lunch stop.

Reactions: QuikCoastie17

·
2016 Titan XD SL 4x4 Deleted/Tuned
35 Posts
It was a boost actuator valve code. It reset and my gf and I figured out that it popped on a hard acceleration uphill getting up to speed after a lunch stop.
I would be taking that code very seriously. If it were me in your shoes, I'd visually check the turbo actuator and make sure it's moving freely. You can reach back there and manually move the actuator. If it feels really hard to move then the actuator is about to crap out on you.

·
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would be taking that code very seriously. If it were me in your shoes, I'd visually check the turbo actuator and make sure it's moving freely. You can reach back there and manually move the actuator. If it feels really hard to move then the actuator is about to crap out on you.
Thanks, Walmart. I'm gonna check that as soon as it's daylight.

Reactions: Walmart Special

·
2018 Titan XD SV 4x4, 5.0 Cummings, Midnight
31 Posts
I made it to Branson with no reduced power, but the CEL the whole day. I am going to try and find a reader, maybe see a dealer this week.
Turns out my issue was coolant pump assembly or something like that. I bought a 2018 XD Cummins 4x4 less then 30 days ago and been in the shop twice, haven't even made my first payment. . First time was DEF pump assembly 4 days after buying it..lol

·
7 Posts
About 4 hours in, the CEL came on (yellow) with no other indications. All “gauges” are normal, full power and no apparent reason for the light. We stopped to eat and it came on when I restarted. Outside air temp was about 80, so no extreme heat.
My girlfriend started looking through the owners manual and found that the diesel trucks have a red CEL light that does indicate trouble.
The yellow CEL is for gas motors and is indicative of a coolant over temp situation.

Any ideas?
I have the 2019 Cummins and my cel for regular maintenance reminders is yellow.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts