Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious if any of you who may be on twitter or the book of faces or just bumbling around the internet, have seen a tuning company that has an XD and is working on tuning?

I've not seen anything yet, but I'm getting antsy to see what these do tuned....

·
28 Posts
Banks they already designed a ram cold air intake just have not released it also there working on tuning. Cummings and nissan have a 2 wheel drive version and there attempting to set a new speed record it's called project triple nickel so there would be lots of engine upgrades in that project

·
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, Banks sucks but it's better than nothing. The land speed deal won't equate to anything for customers.

·
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well the first domino has fallen....a serious tuning company now has one.

Ryan at Hardway bought an XD this last weekend apparently.

285hp/466trq stock. Looking at that graph I can see why I thought it was a gutless turd when I drove it...it's under 200hp just over 3600rpm

If anyone is going to push its limits, it's Ryan. In a perfect world the transmission will suck, and he'll be forced to delve into the Aisin transmission tuning and that will jump over to the HO Cummins in the Dodge 3500....

Reactions: TurboDiesel

·
56 Posts
Nice. Unless we're looking at different graphs, hp looks flat until about 3500 and it's the torque that falls way off.

I wonder why the run was started so late (rpm)

·
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did mix the lines up last night.

My point is, both tank drastically. That torque curve is an embarrassment for a diesel.

·
570 Posts
These numbers are a bit better than the 270/455 that PUTC recorded. I do agree that it is a pretty ugly torque curve. What is up with the M2 turbocharger?? It seems overly complex given the poor results.

·
24 Posts
I did mix the lines up last night.

My point is, both tank drastically. That torque curve is an embarrassment for a diesel.
Falling off at the point it does should be expected. Even Nissan/Cummins state the peak hp is at 3100 rpm which is exactly what it does in this dyno.

Why is it an embarrassment? The embarrassment should be in the dyno operator who clearly doesn't know how to dyno a diesel engine as he didn't start recording under full throttle until 3k rpms. If he had done it properly you'd see the graphs started at least somewhere close to 1500 rpms.

Here's an example of a 6.7 power stroke dyno. Look at the numbers past 3k rpms. It makes ~215hp at 3400 rpms: http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2010/09/dyno-test-ford-6-7-liter-v-8-diesel-before-factory-power-update.html

·
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hahahaha! Ryan doesn't know how to dyno. That dude's got more dyno pulls under his britches than most people could ever dream of having.

Look at the graph. It's clear why it's an embarrassment. If I have to explain it to you....you won't understand.

·
56 Posts
Hahahaha! Ryan doesn't know how to dyno. That dude's got more dyno pulls under his britches than most people could ever dream of having.

Look at the graph. It's clear why it's an embarrassment. If I have to explain it to you....you won't understand.
Explain what you mean, I'll understand.

Personally I don't think there's enough info on that particular chart to determine anything about the engine other than where the power falls off.

No horsepower/torque tables and the beginning of the run is cut off and doesn't start until 2800ish. I'm sure he has many different views and run files saved, but the one posted doesn't offer much information imo. Corrected numbers wound be nice to see also.

Totally awesome what he's doing! just a critique on my part.

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
I agree that's a poor dyno graph.
But to his defense, he probably doesn't have software up and running to manually control it. Some ECM/TCM modules can be commanded in real-time to adjust parameters, but being the aisin TCM is a tough nut to crack, you can manipulate values in the ECM to fool the trans to stay within a particular gear selection. It requires more work in the tuning program, but may be your only option in this case.

That's why copy and paste is a great feature, I save multiple operating systems and have different .tun files to put the vehicle in certain states to get a result I want. To get a good number you need to get in "lock-up" on the converter and hold the trans to what ever gear equates to a 1:1 ratio (4th in this case). This way there is no fluid power loss in the converter causing slip or weird torque peaks because it's job is to act as a clutch of sorts and a torque multiplier which can sour the results;)

I do think the building blocks are there with this truck, just needs a tuner's touch to be in my opinion, the truck we hoped it would be as far as driveability.

BigRed

·
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes, the graph is jacked up. I think the dip is a shift; pretty sure you can hear it shift on at least one of the runs. Actually, I know you can.

So realistically, it's hard to accurately judge from that graph...however if you take the shift out, it's still awfully "peaky" and doesn't appear to have a very flat torque curve, which is what you want. Even the power drops drastically, which like I've said from my drive, seems to back up what I felt; that it lacked overall power.

Driving around town was just fine, but anything over about 40 it didn't feel all that powerful. With the turbo setup I would have expected a far flatter curve. That's all I'm trying to say (which I often struggle to convey my thoughts into words, especially on the internet).

I just honestly can't wait to see one tuned with a nice flat curve. It could be a little monster I think, with real good power for around town and some decent topend for the interstate cruising.

·
772 Posts
Yes, the graph is jacked up. I think the dip is a shift; pretty sure you can hear it shift on at least one of the runs. Actually, I know you can.

So realistically, it's hard to accurately judge from that graph...however if you take the shift out, it's still awfully "peaky" and doesn't appear to have a very flat torque curve, which is what you want. Even the power drops drastically, which like I've said from my drive, seems to back up what I felt; that it lacked overall power.

Driving around town was just fine, but anything over about 40 it didn't feel all that powerful. With the turbo setup I would have expected a far flatter curve. That's all I'm trying to say (which I often struggle to convey my thoughts into words, especially on the internet).

I just honestly can't wait to see one tuned with a nice flat curve. It could be a little monster I think, with real good power for around town and some decent topend for the interstate cruising.
helped do a delete kit on a 6.7 today. I don't even want a cummins 5.0 now. lol

·
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
They run pretty good, eh.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts