Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone,

Well, I'm bummed because I washed my new pearl white Pro 4X yesterday and found a few spots with paint issues. I'm curious if any of you have experienced the same and if any of you are knowledgeable in automotive paint to help me decide what to do.

Here's what I found:
1. Upper right of tailgate has a high concentration of metallic in the pearl or perhaps I'm seeing through to a grey colored primer. This isn't really a problem for me and I wasn't going to bother worrying about it because it's only about a 2" x 2" section. However, after finding item# 2 below...I will probably lump it in with the repairs I want done.

2. Left and upper side of tailgate seems to have no clear coat or has some sort of flat/matte over spray. You can run your hands over this roughly 10" x 10" section and feel the flat paint and rough surface. It's hard to really see but you absolutely feel it. My primary concern is durability if the clear coat is thin here. This is a big disappointment and hard for me to be OK with.

3. On the driver side of the truck bed, there is a section that feels like item# 2 but it's smaller. It's about the size of your palm and at first I simply thought it was a hand print. However, after wiping it down, I found that it is a paint defect just like item# 2.

So, now I'm trying to figure out how I should handle this. I've already reported it to Nissan Consumer Affairs and have a Case# so that they have a history of me reporting this. The dealer says their body shop will need to take a look and it could take up to 2-3 weeks for them to perform the repairs due to backlog. That is obviously frustrating because I bought this brand new and shouldn't have these issues in the first place and I'm in love with this truck and do not want to part with it for this. I also don't want to ever see a 'blended' repair when I bought new so I would not have this sort of thing in the first place.

Do any of you with automotive paint experience have some pointers for me? Any ideas on what the problem is? Should I have their body shop do the work or should I press Nissan for something else?

Thanks in advance. I'm addicted to this truck and it kills me to think I may have to turn the keys over for an extended time.

·
492 Posts
Talk to the dealer. Have them schedule a date for you. It certainly shouldn't take 2-3 weeks to fix it. Maybe a couple of days?

·
450 Posts
I found 2 areas on the edge of both the driver door and the front passenger door where it looks like the door alignment was off and someone shut it at the factory chipping the paint badly. It looks like they tried to do a touch up repair and it is slightly a different color and has a run. I also found areas on my tailgate where there is quite a bit of overspray from the bed liner application. I found this on most of the other trucks on the lot as well.

The bed liner overspray comes off with my finger nail. The other issue I am going to take to the dealer and see if they can fix it properly.

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Hello everyone,

Well, I'm bummed because I washed my new pearl white Pro 4X yesterday and found a few spots with paint issues. I'm curious if any of you have experienced the same and if any of you are knowledgeable in automotive paint to help me decide what to do.

Here's what I found:
1. Upper right of tailgate has a high concentration of metallic in the pearl or perhaps I'm seeing through to a grey colored primer. This isn't really a problem for me and I wasn't going to bother worrying about it because it's only about a 2" x 2" section. However, after finding item# 2 below...I will probably lump it in with the repairs I want done.

2. Left and upper side of tailgate seems to have no clear coat or has some sort of flat/matte over spray. You can run your hands over this roughly 10" x 10" section and feel the flat paint and rough surface. It's hard to really see but you absolutely feel it. My primary concern is durability if the clear coat is thin here. This is a big disappointment and hard for me to be OK with.

3. On the driver side of the truck bed, there is a section that feels like item# 2 but it's smaller. It's about the size of your palm and at first I simply thought it was a hand print. However, after wiping it down, I found that it is a paint defect just like item# 2.

So, now I'm trying to figure out how I should handle this. I've already reported it to Nissan Consumer Affairs and have a Case# so that they have a history of me reporting this. The dealer says their body shop will need to take a look and it could take up to 2-3 weeks for them to perform the repairs due to backlog. That is obviously frustrating because I bought this brand new and shouldn't have these issues in the first place and I'm in love with this truck and do not want to part with it for this. I also don't want to ever see a 'blended' repair when I bought new so I would not have this sort of thing in the first place.

Do any of you with automotive paint experience have some pointers for me? Any ideas on what the problem is? Should I have their body shop do the work or should I press Nissan for something else?

Thanks in advance. I'm addicted to this truck and it kills me to think I may have to turn the keys over for an extended time.
Same as above with upper corners of the tailgate and surrounding bed (above taillights). Also add the portion of paint under the rear glass and on top of the bed rail in the same vicinity with heavy over spray/orange peel.

BigRed

·
171 Posts
I've had horrific luck with paint so I figure I'll chime in with my experience about a car almost getting totaled for paint after a run in with a cement truck malfunction.

The paint in my 4X is pretty awful and has a lot of trash along the roof but no nearly as bad as yours and I elected not to fix it.

I'll just list the things as a pro/con and let you make the call:

Pro:

Metallic paints are easier to blend and are less likely to look polka-dotted as the flake in the paint will hide imperfections.

It needs to get done and if it's that new I'd insist on some kind independent estimate on the cost to re-do everything. Go through your insurance company. Here's why. If what you say is true you're going to put the dealer in serious hot water for fraud. If repairs exceed normally 10% of the vehicles value and they attempted to repair it and it wasn't disclosed that is fraud and they're obligated to do a buyback under lemon law.

Con:

Redoing the paint could cause overspray if it's not done right and will hurt resale

1 - 5 of 5 Posts