Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you are, what set up are you using? I have a 28" pin box measurement. I am worried about the trailer hitting the cab and the pin box hitting the truck bed rails. So if anyone has a set up working for them please share.

My trailer cannot convert to the Reese Goose Box

Thanks

·
4 Posts
I have the same problem too. I got a new Rockwood fifth wheel camper with a Reese Revolution and cannot convert to a Reese goose box. Hoping Nissan comes out with that adapter they promised asap. Some of those other adapters currently out there will void your warranty on your camper so beware.

·
1,300 Posts
Well we just bought a new Open Range 305BHS 5th wheel and ive got the goose neck coupler for it. I cant wait to pick it up we get it on the 17th so ill be taking pictures when she is all hooked up.
On a side note the Curt #60692 Kit works great with the factory hook up... its a **** of a lot cheaper than the OEM. I got mine off amazon for 166 CAD.

·
9 Posts
Look forward to the pictures! I'm looking at a Rockwood 5th wheel and replacing the Reese Revolution with the Reese Goosebox but I too am concerned about cab/camper clearance. Good luck!

·
8 Posts
I've got an 2002 SunnyBrook Mobile Scout 2850 SL 5th Wheel. I also just got my Anderson Ultimate Connection 2 hitch (5th wheel to gooseneck) today. Been waiting and researching on how to drag my fiver with my new XD. As soon as I can I will be hooking up to my Scout and just drag it around for a while to see how she handles. I feel pretty confident that I have made a good choice since we are fixing to be going on a 850+ mile trip come mid-July. People say, "It will avoid the warranty!", that might be true, but the warranty on my Scout went out along time ago. I'll take some pics tomorrow and see if I can post any on here yet since I'm a newbie to this forum.

·
119 Posts
The B&W Companion 5th wheel hitch SHOULD work since it fastens via the B&W turnover ball gooseneck ball. There is one poster here who had a machinist modify his to work in the XD.....I have a very light 5th wheel that will need this as well, and the prospect of an empty bed when the hitch comes out, with no rails even in the bed, is a plus. The Andersen Ultimate system is similar, but I might not use it if I had a really big/heavy rig, but my 6500 lb'er wouldn't be a problem, but the bed ball is the linchpin in these systems that needs to fit. And with the limited number of XD's on the market, the hitch people may take a while to offer a Nissan version....

·
8 Posts
I pulled my '02 SunnyBrook 5th Wheel camper today using the Andersen Ultimate Ultimate Connection 5th Wheel Hitch Gooseneck Mount (Parts# 3220, 3231, 3230) just to see how it does before the big trip to Colorado in the middle of July. And I got to say, i am very happy on how my Platinum handled. Took a 4 degree hill at 65mph. like it was nothing going down and up. My 2010 Titan Pro4X pulled this fine but this XD was made to pull. These were the only to pics i took today. Come July I'll try to remember to take some more of the set up. But yes.......I have pulled a 5th Wheel Camper with my gooseneck....technically.

Attachments

·
1,979 Posts
I pulled my '02 SunnyBrook 5th Wheel camper today using the Andersen Ultimate Ultimate Connection 5th Wheel Hitch Gooseneck Mount (Parts# 3220, 3231, 3230) just to see how it does before the big trip to Colorado in the middle of July. And I got to say, i am very happy on how my Platinum handled. Took a 4 degree hill at 65mph. like it was nothing going down and up. My 2010 Titan Pro4X pulled this fine but this XD was made to pull. These were the only to pics i took today. Come July I'll try to remember to take some more of the set up. But yes.......I have pulled a 5th Wheel Camper with my gooseneck....technically.
Looks nice!
You should flip the axles on the 5th.

·
8 Posts
Yep. I may not be able to before our trip in July, but that is definitely on my to do list. I hate that it is not level. Thanks for the advise, AZPRO4X.

Reactions: AZPRO4X

·
39 Posts
I have been researching 5th wheel hitches and when the time comes I will order the Andersen hitch. Thanks for sharing :smile2:

·
119 Posts
So you got the Titan ball, and the Andersen fastens the hitch tower to your Titan ball and snugs it down to the bed. Did you decide yourself to add the gooseneck chains just for one more safety point, since 2-3 Andersen owners I know with 5th wheels do not use the chains. You didn't convert your 5th wheel over to a gooseneck, did you?

·
8 Posts
Sorry for not replying sooner.
I have read and know that regular gooseneck trailers do have to use chains. So even though I have the break away brake on my 5th wheel, I wanted to use the chains just for the added security. It might not be needed, I don't know. I put all the part numbers on an earlier post of what I used. So you can technically say it has been changed over to a gooseneck.

·
11 Posts
Could you tell me which goose neck ball and safety chain hooks you are using. Also which Andersen ultimate? I purchased the Curt ball and hooks with the newest ultimate2 and there isn't enough room for the safety chain hooks under the triangles on the hitch.

·
5 Posts
I, too, am considering the Andersen Ultimate Fifth Wheel Connection (gooseneck version) and I'm concerned that it will interfere with the safety chain anchor points. Can anyone confirm/deny?

·
80 Posts
I, too, am considering the Andersen Ultimate Fifth Wheel Connection (gooseneck version) and I'm concerned that it will interfere with the safety chain anchor points. Can anyone confirm/deny?

I've got the Anderson ultimate 2 and it clears the chain anchors

Reactions: Carolinaxd

·
291 Posts
I have the Curt ball kit; its chain anchors do not clear the Anderson 2. As a replacement, I link a piece of 3/8th chain around the ball (about 18" of it), lower the Anderson over the ball and fasten into place, then when I hookup I connect the chains to the 3/8th chain. Can't claim if this will pass inspection or not, but its fastened to a piece that is connected to the trucks frame, so its good enough for me.

·
485 Posts
Safety chains are not required on fifth wheel trailers....at least not in any states I am aware of. If an event happens that causes a fifth wheeler to come off that king pin you have other problems...most likely you have rolled the truck and the trailer is the least of your worries. In my case my fiver has a kingpin weight of 1700 +/- pounds. You could not bounce that weight off the king pin without breaking your rear end. Safety chains are required for pull behinds due to possibility of bouncing a load off the hitch or failure of the hitch itself. To be honest, if my fiver did come off the kingpin I hope it does breakaway after it tears off the tailgate. Otherwise it is probably going to roll you truck and be potentially very deadly. I use the Anderson Ultimate Hitch and the adapter does have a locking mechanism. You also have a breakaway hitch....although I question what good they would do as the trailer is going to roll and flip no matter what unless you are exceedingly lucky.

·
291 Posts
Some, if not most provinces in Canada require the chains, which is a real PITA. You're correct that if it comes off the ball you certainly do have larger problems at play, chains are not going to do much with the unit's frame contained in the box. Pull behind I can see, but fifth wheel, not. Unfortunately we have our fair share of stupid politicians north of the border, and it varies by province to province.

·
80 Posts
Some, if not most provinces in Canada require the chains... ...it varies by province to province.

Yeah, all the provinces say chains are required for "ball" hitches. Alberta seems to be the only one that specifically says chains are not required for 5th wheels. Having said that, I'm curious if "authorities" could say the Andersen converts a kinpin into a socket / ball hitch making it require chains.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts