Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
2017 Titan XD P4X Gas
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a 2017 Pro4x with 32k miles and it has an oil leak so I brought it to my dealer and they are taking a look to fix under warranty.

They said someone stripped out the threads on the bolts and they need to replace all of them ($13/ea and $8/ea) and re-tap some of the holes which will take a few hours at shop rate. I told them just leave the skid in the bed and I'll look at it because I'm not paying $137/hr to tap holes.
He said most likely whoever did the last oil change put them on too tight.

Anyone experienced this? The bolts looks okay to me - aren't they usually tapered at the end? Or are they missing threads?

Thanks

IMG_20200914_104902.jpg

IMG_20200914_104906.jpg

IMG_20200914_104913.jpg

IMG_20200914_104917.jpg

·
2017 Titan XD P4X Gas
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Best I can tell those bolts look normal to me...? I guess I will try threading them into the holes when I get the truck back and see if the threads are bad... then order a helicoil kit?

s-l1600.jpg

·
909 Posts
The allen head bolts round out easy if people are not careful loosening them. The threads on the second bolt look a little damaged. Only takes a few minutes to run a tap in to repair the threads. I wouldn't install helicoils with such little damage.

·
601 Posts
Never a problem with the four button heads just don’t over torque and use a little copper paste. The back bottom ones for the crossmember on mine snapped and I replaced the with stainless flange bolts.

·
16 Posts
My 2 cents....
Looks like someone using an electric drill with an incorrect bit.
Yes these are tapered screw studs but if you look at the 2nd screw from the top see how smashed the threads are?!

1. From where the threads are stripped on the stud, looks like a bunch of sand and dirt build up was not cleaned off and the use of a electric drill with bit to quickly remote and re attach screws. Most likely just spin, pushed and forced the screw until it went in.

2. Prolly too lazy to change it out for the correct bit torx or didn’t have a torx and had just and allen.

oil change minimum wage guys.. not their problem someone else’s... Plus you cannot prove it was them.

The first 2 screws look correct, the bottom 2 look different; maybe just dirty. Just don’t look right.
The one 10mm bolt looks to be stripped as well. Those all look to be OEM.

Possibly 2 out of the 7 need to be re tapped and screws replaced.

The torx (button screw)if I remember correctly is part of the underside bumper and Radiator plastic guard.
If you haven’t changed oil on the pro4X with the guard this is a common mistake in hopes you don’t have to remove the rock guard.

That’s what I think.

·
2017 Titan XD P4X Gas
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all. Got it back and crawled under in the driveway, the 3 large good bolts threaded in easy by hand but I need to run a tap in the last one and get a new bolt. I didn't notice how flat the threads were in the pictures.
They took the entire tow hooks off because the buttonheads are completely rounded out. At least I can work on the buttonheads on a bench.

Yeah I haven't done an oil change yet but this is exactly why I do my own. It was in the dealer to replace the leaking oil cooler under warranty.
I asked if any warranty work was done before I bought it and he looked and only oil changes so the rest of the bolts on the truck shouldn't be mangled too.

·
631 Posts
"A few hours" to tap a couple of holes... this is exactly why I will never go to a dealer for anything other than warranty work.

Reactions: DougT and ben5243

·
245 Posts
The large Allen Bolts go into nut plates. They are spring clips that clip over the chassis so no wrench is needed on the nut or backside. The bolts have about 1/4" of shaft without threads. This helps them to get started into the nut plates. The three small bolts are short from the factory so it is easy for them to get stripped on the ends. Mine did the same. The Solution was to use bolts about 1/4" longer than what came on the truck. The threads on the truck were fine. it was just the bolts that were damaged. They are small so don't tighten them too much, just snug them up.

·
9 Posts
"A few hours" to tap a couple of holes... this is exactly why I will never go to a dealer for anything other than warranty work.
On the flip side if you’re not a grease monkey and take advantage of the Nissan points along with the discounts they send out, oil changes are relatively inexpensive! Thus having the dealer do routine stuff comes with numerous advantages one of which is avoiding the above scenario. Just my opinion though.

·
2017 Titan XD P4X Gas
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ordered 3 new lower skid bolts, 4 new button heads, 4 new nut plates, and 4 new tow hook bolts.... all for the low price of $100.59
Definitely overkill, I think I only really need to replace 2 or 3 button heads and one tow hook bolt but I'd rather have the parts on hand if I can't extract some of the button heads from the nut plates.

Should arrive next week and I'll see about running a tap into the frame where the one tow hook bolt is stripped. Hopefully there's enough material left.

Here are the parts in case anyone has this issue in the future:

Part No.: 01121-06561
BOLT​
2.76​
Part No.: 01431-0004U
SCREW​
38.16​
Part No.: 01241-0020U
NUT​
45.92​
Part No.: 081B7-2452A
BOLT FLANGE​
13.75​

·
36 Posts
Just got a 2017 Pro4x with 32k miles and it has an oil leak so I brought it to my dealer and they are taking a look to fix under warranty.

They said someone stripped out the threads on the bolts and they need to replace all of them ($13/ea and $8/ea) and re-tap some of the holes which will take a few hours at shop rate. I told them just leave the skid in the bed and I'll look at it because I'm not paying $137/hr to tap holes.
He said most likely whoever did the last oil change put them on too tight.

Anyone experienced this? The bolts looks okay to me - aren't they usually tapered at the end? Or are they missing threads?

Thanks

View attachment 45480
View attachment 45481
View attachment 45482
View attachment 45483
Go to lowes and get new bolts, put anti sieze and work them in. The big ones don't look bad. Use a ratchet, run them in, if they get tight before they are run in, back them off 1/2 turn amd run them back in. Keep working them back and fourth like that. If they seem too stripped get a tap and tap the holes. A good strong grade 8 bolt (10 or 12 metric) is hard enough to straighten the threads if you dont force them amd work them back and fourth. Get the new bolts one size longer than the factory ones. This will literally cost you $20 tops unless ypu have to have the factory allenhead bolts. Im sure you can get new Allen head bolts at Lowes that will fit. Those factory bolts strip out easy. Just get some regular bolts from Lowes. I did this to my brothers titan. He had a pro4x, I have a Platinum reserve.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts