Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it doesn't matter anymore.

I sold my 2016 this week for 2 reasons. First, the limited production of the 5.0 is reported to have resulted in longer wait times at dealers for the lack of major failure mode repair parts and Nissan having discontinued certification of mechanics to work on them. Second, the vulnerability of the 5.0 diesel engine to succumb to the whims of emission controls failures of DEF pumps, CP4 pumps, EGR coolers, turbos, hanging fuel injectors and broken crankshafts, etc.. It's only a matter of time.

In our golden years, we travel too much here in the Southwest to be left hanging somewhere. I’ve already had one experience camped out locally, where the truck threw some codes that wouldn't clear. I was able to drive the truck back 60 miles back, leaving my rig in the mountains to pick up my 20 year old standby 7.3 Powerstroke to retrieve it and get the XD to the dealer in Prescott. The prospect of a limp mode surfacing in the desert east of the Sierras or in a really isolated mountain area was something I just didn’t want to entertain. Aside from a few fits of code throwing, I’ve never had any real issues with this truck. It has been a great truck for 43000+ miles and sold it with some regret. In the end, risk management won out.

Now the interesting part. We had the truck professionally detailed and listed it for sale on a popular social media marketplace targeted at the Sacramento area while visiting last month. Within 2 days we had over 100 views and several saves. Shortly thereafter, we were contacted by a dealer in Nor Cal with an offer of $38,000 to buy the truck sight unseen. A second dealer (where I bought the truck) got into the picture with a higher offer of $39K. While trying to verify the authenticity of the first dealer, that dealer raised their offer to 40K knowing a $39K offer was at hand. While still trying to vett the first dealer, “my” dealer raised its offer to $40,200. Sold.

My conclusion is that there remains a strong marketplace currently for the Cummins 5.0 XD. The issues we see in this forum are real, but have failed to dampen the interest in Cummins 5.0. My personal take on it is that the truck is likely in a better place in a more densely populated and traveled area with greater access to support.

The plan is to move on to the Godzilla, which has been on my radar for the last year. I will shed the shackles of post 2007 diesels and step into the world of the old pushrod gasoline engine that on paper, is nearly as powerful as my Banks breathing and nearly bullet proof ‘99 Powerstroke. The 10 speed transmission should make sure that power is being used most efficiently. So far the only issues I’ve seen reported on the Godzilla have been a faulty spark plug wire problem, which is presumably corrected and a leaking front crank seal. The jury is still out on whether the crank seal issue has found a permanent fix. Of course, it's still a good idea to stay tuned to anything else that might surface. So far though, a far cry from the "plague" the Cummins XD has experienced.

Good bye to a good friend and a hat tip to all those on the forum who contributed, especially Realbored, to keeping it fit.
TitanXD sunset 640.jpg

·
341 Posts
I've been shopping for gas trucks for many of the same reasons you are, the only real reason I haven't pulled the trigger while vehicle values are so high is that I like my truck too much. Hopefully the Ford treats you well, the 7.3 is a pretty compelling engine with the power numbers it puts out. I've been eyeballing Tundras myself, but it's hard to jump into a truck with a motor that may be discontinued with the impending redesign.

·
2019 TItan XD Moab Sunset
12 Posts
I have the same conundrum. I have a 2019 XD with 42K on it and an 04 F350 with a 6.uh-oh with 260K on it (all the good stuff done to it). Guess which is in the shop and which one I am driving. I really want this XD to work but this is the 2nd time it is in the shop for the same repair. It took 2 months to get the parts in. I am keeping the F350 until I feel more secure with the XD....but for now I trust the F350. I can forgive the F350 for failing, if it does. But, the XD should be more reliable.................

·
1,473 Posts
I really miss mine, and let it go for many of the same reasons you listed. I did not have quite as good fortune when I got rid of her...hats off to you sir! Like you I took good care of her while she was in my garage.

·
359 Posts
The plan is to move on to the Godzilla, which has been on my radar for the last year. I will shed the shackles of post 2007 diesels and step into the world of the old pushrod gasoline engine
I hear you. They are super nice vehicles and engines until the problems start cropping up. Limp mode is like a threat you live under that--if it crops up at the wrong time on a long trip--can turn you from love to disgust. The godzilla engine sure looks like a winner design wise. It certainly isn't a pushrod engine vintage 60's/70's. Computer control is great on a gas engine--and no limp mode threat of course. Should have never sold my old 91 Dodge with the B5.9. The truck was a brute designed in 1974 and never changed, but that purely mechanical engine always started and ran until you denied it fuel. Ah the old days.
If you do get a Godzilla, swing back by to give a report card...might be a few more folks intersted in that by then!...Cheers

·
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just wanted to put this out there to show the capabilities of the F250 Godzilla. A big stumbling block for me was the choice between 3.55 or 4.30 differential. On lots, the F250 is almost universally found with the 3.55. A higher tow rating is achieved with 4.30. That means it would have to be ordered, which I don't like to do. This sort of put a cap on it for me. At 3:11 he reveals the differential he's running. I'll let it be a surprise. Keep in mind, this is a gross vehicle weight of 32K lbs with a 24K trailer.

·
96 Posts
Traded my 2016 SL 5.0 for a 2021 F350 Lariat 7.3 w/ 3.73 in December after my EGR cooler failed towing my 8800 lb trailer last summer.

I LOVE the 7.3! It will run circles around the 5.0. Accelerates better, pulls through the mountains better, steers better (have the adaptive steering), rides just as good (but payload is 2300 lbs higher!!!).

In my experience so far, RPMs pulling one of the mountain passes around here is about 1000 RPMs higher, I’d be doing 2500 @ 60 (if I remember right) in the Titan and now I’m doing 3500 @ 60 with the 7.3.

Gas mileage is worse (but still improving— only 2500 miles on the truck so far). Last weekend I got 9.7 MPG towing on one of our trips across the mountains and would have gotten 11.5 on that same trip with the Titan. Range on a tank of fuel is roughly equivalent since the F350 carries 34 gallons in short bed config vs the Titan’s 26. If I can hit double digit fuel mileage while towing, I’ll be elated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
39 Posts
My nephews 2016 caught on fire after they replaced the turbo. It was sitting on the back lot and it took a while for them to notice the black smoke. 🤣 It cooked everything under the hood and it had been in and out of the shop for months. Cummins should've never made a V-8 diesel and Nissan should've never asked for it. It was originally being made for Dodge and they backed out. So I was told.

·
8 Posts
I'm about to pass 160,000 miles on my 17 XD Cummins, here's the issues I've had;
1. EGR (went out during warranty in the first 60,000 miles)
2. Electrical Harness controlling 8th cylinder injector (also went out during warranty)
3. Same Electrical Harness wore out again this time after warranty.
4. Because I was out of Cell Service in the mountains, I drove the truck with the faulty harness to the closest town and the injector was open so it over loaded my Def Filter, a person who had deleted theirs's on this very forum was kind enough to give me their filter, resulting in Only $1,000 fix bill, instead of $3500-$4000 fix.

I use mine for my job, and will probably trade it in leaving me upside down into my next ride, because I have the feeling it's living on borrowed time. That could just be me though, buying into all the critical post's on here. Ironically I switched to this diesel to get an extended use vehicle over gas that would be worth more than what I've been getting after use of gas engine pick ups.

·
6 Posts
I'm about to pass 160,000 miles on my 17 XD Cummins, here's the issues I've had;
2. Electrical Harness controlling 8th cylinder injector (also went out during warranty)
4. Because I was out of Cell Service in the mountains, I drove the truck with the faulty harness to the closest town and the injector was open so it over loaded my Def Filter, a person who had deleted theirs's on this very forum was kind enough to give me their filter, resulting in Only $1,000 fix bill, instead of $3500-$4000 fix.

I use mine for my job, and will probably trade it in leaving me upside down into my next ride, because I have the feeling it's living on borrowed time. That could just be me though, buying into all the critical post's on here. Ironically I switched to this diesel to get an extended use vehicle over gas that would be worth more than what I've been getting after use of gas engine pick ups.
Good morning
This electrical harness it's a definite fix I have a high milage 2016 I'm up around 46,000 thats why I'm on the second engine.

I have the same issue as number 2 on your list.
But they are acting like it's a surprise.

Did it fix the issue completely? Is it pretty much easy to replace in a driveway?

Mine has been sitting at the dealership because they are so far behind.

·
8 Posts
Good morning
This electrical harness it's a definite fix I have a high milage 2016 I'm up around 46,000 thats why I'm on the second engine.

Did it fix the issue completely? Is it pretty much easy to replace in a driveway?

Sorry, been busy haven't been on the forum for a while. These guys at Last Chance Diesel in Ogden, Utah used to be killer mechanics for Wild Diesel in Ogden, until the EPA nailed Wild for doing delete's and chips. I've got to say their knowledge is unbelievable and their honesty and pride in their work is matched by few. The guy that worked on mine, worked on the engine when it was in RV's, he knew that harness was garbage so he built me a new non Nissan harness, using I believe harness components of Dodge 2500 and has guaranteed me it will not fail. It should be a recall!

·
341 Posts
Good morning

You'd think the wiring harness would be an easy fix, just a unplug, unclip, replace, and go, but nooooooo. They've gotta take the manifold off, replace some gaskets and o-rings, and even add some coolant back in - at least that's all on the list of things my dealer did for the same number 8 injector circuit issues. The harness itself was only about 500 bucks, but labor was double that.

·
6 Posts

Can you send me your parts list for the items you have talked about. They have had mine for 6 weeks now and I went to see it. They had the Neg battery cable laying in the floor (a new one that is)
More going for that harness your talking about. And it snowballs just like you said. Ran rough, then number 8 injector now exhaust is clogged.

·
6 Posts
You'd think the wiring harness would be an easy fix, just a unplug, unclip, replace, and go, but nooooooo. They've gotta take the manifold off, replace some gaskets and o-rings, and even add some coolant back in - at least that's all on the list of things my dealer did for the same number 8 injector circuit issues. The harness itself was only about 500 bucks, but labor was double that.
Did Nissan write all this down like in a parts and labor kind of bill.
I need something for the guys working on mine.

·
974 Posts
Engineers don't have to work on vehicles, so when they design things the last thing they take into account is having to repair what they design.

·
6 Posts
Sorry, been busy haven't been on the forum for a while. These guys at Last Chance Diesel in Ogden, Utah used to be killer mechanics for Wild Diesel in Ogden, until the EPA nailed Wild for doing delete's and chips. I've got to say their knowledge is unbelievable and their honesty and pride in their work is matched by few. The guy that worked on mine, worked on the engine when it was in RV's, he knew that harness was garbage so he built me a new non Nissan harness, using I believe harness components of Dodge 2500 and has guaranteed me it will not fail. It should be a recall!
I would sure buy it if they were still in business.
This is a mess I just want to get the pos going so I can get rid of it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts