Nissan Titan XD Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
32 Posts
Good grief, after that story- I dont know if i could buy a Nissan —- I know that there are horror stories with any brand if you question enough owners. But…….. and many here love their Titan trucks and have had almost no issues . But your story is very discouraging to hear no doubt. Sorry about your experience being so bad man. I had a BMW ;motorcycle a few years ago, went through bad deal with them. Finally got them to buy the bike back . It made me very upset but i got another one from them and have no issues whatsoever. ……..

·
20 Posts
Well now that you mention that it was a buy back lol.

And new update
I purchased a used complete exhaust from a guy on here knowing it needed a sensor.
Simple switch from my old exhaust to his.
Well guess what they melted mine while testing the truck lol.

It's all becoming a big joke

·
220 Posts
Good grief, after that story- I dont know if i could buy a Nissan —- I know that there are horror stories with any brand if you question enough owners. But…….. and many here love their Titan trucks and have had almost no issues . But your story is very discouraging to hear no doubt. Sorry about your experience being so bad man. I had a BMW ;motorcycle a few years ago, went through bad deal with them. Finally got them to buy the bike back . It made me very upset but i got another one from them and have no issues whatsoever. ……..
I follow all brands forums, there’s not a manufacturer that has a truck that’s not blowing motors etc with low miles. I thought our diesel was the only one. It’s almost comical to read some peoples complaints on here and then say they’re getting another brand. Well good luck cause they all garbage today.

·
32 Posts
I follow all brands forums, there’s not a manufacturer that has a truck that’s not blowing motors etc with low miles. I thought our diesel was the only one. It’s almost comical to read some peoples complaints on here and then say they’re getting another brand. Well good luck cause they all garbage today.
The thing that makes this slightly worse regarding the Titan— the Nissan/ Cummins Diesel was the “new kid on the block”. So it was going to get scrutinized harder anyway you look at it. The problems, as you say, goes across brands and it probably goes back to the EPA restrictions and all the crap engine makers and the auto industry are doing to try to meet emissions mandates……or that is what I am taking out of reading a lot of comments by others.
Personally i have little to “no” experience so i can only listen to others who hopefully know a little or a lot more than me. When something bad happens to someone else, it is easier to take it with a grain of salt i suppose. But when you are that guy “in the barrel” ….. probably pretty easy to get a really bad attitude and fast.

·
20 Posts
I've got my POS back today.
It sure feels good.
I asked for an extended towing package they said it already toes 12,000 plus.
I said no for when it dies again. They laughed.

As far as other makers, right now in the family and extended family. Between us no one had had the problems that I've had with this thing. Old blue dress a 417,000 plus miles 6.0 Larry has had the oil pumps and some injectors replaced. Head has never been off. I've got a Toyota 4runner with 368,000 yep head gaskets at 180,000. Also have a 2008 Toyota Sequoia 275,000 it would be the choice for a long trip. The 2017 F250 well I don't know if dad has ever taken it in for anything but then again it's only a 2017. Not like the 2016 Titan high mileage 65,000 titan. It's on its second engine third harness and second exhaust. They actually kept it to.let me look because I didn't believe a word they said. The exhaust was packed. The sensors were melted the thermocouples were stuck in it. Bringing the pos home today I was reminded of why you don't go through a automatic car wash left side vents blowing warm air right side nice and cold.
The thing is the other makers just fixed the problems. Nissan looked at mine and said well that's weird and said we will need to hold on to it for 30 days that's when we can get back to it.

I used to be like what the hell are the guys doing to these trucks. Broke cranks, runs like crap, etc....

I've lived it I'll drive it for a bit but it's a truck that you can't get parts for. And if they have then it will be days before you can get it. They had a turbo in there and it was full of crap and I don't see how. Wait that was the second time they got it for the turbo. Something about a gate. Not the waste gate I think this one is for the smaller turbo. First fix lasted 100 miles. Thats how I know that the backorder on the turbo is like 200.

I love the truck it drives good, it's strong,it's beautiful and if you don't watch it your doing 80 mph. Even Jackson was surprised by it.

I'm 51 I've had everything still have some. 70 Boss, 64 F100 with a 351 Cleveland, 1986 300zx and the Sequoia.

I'm not saying no other maker doesn't have problems but at least they acknowledge their shit. Nissan acts like you should deal.with it.
And that goes back to the brand new 2017 Maxima Platinum with 217 miles that I put on it. They changed the oil then they said something was weird with the transmission 5,000 miles later they said it was bad when it left me on the side of the road.

Anyway I'm printing stickers lol.

I need ideas I'm thinking
"this is proof you can make 6,000 lbs of crap roll"
That one is going beside the Titan logo on tailgate unless it falls off from the weight of it.
The thing that makes this slightly worse regarding the Titan— the Nissan/ Cummins Diesel was the “new kid on the block”. So it was going to get scrutinized harder anyway you look at it. The problems, as you say, goes across brands and it probably goes back to the EPA restrictions and all the crap engine makers and the auto industry are doing to try to meet emissions mandates……or that is what I am taking out of reading a lot of comments by others.
Personally i have little to “no” experience so i can only listen to others who hopefully know a little or a lot more than me. When something bad happens to someone else, it is easier to take it with a grain of salt i suppose. But when you are that guy “in the barrel” ….. probably pretty easy to get a really bad attitude and fast.
Hey if it would if I knew I could tow a camper for the next 3 or 4 years with it I would keep it.
I would deal with the transmission, the heated seats that don't heat, the mixer valve on drive side that just stopped working again and if I could get a warranty. The thing is they sold it like it was going to take over the 1/2 market and would have. It's very hard to beat its specs for towing. But if you can't even use it as a Sunday driver why would anyone buy it to use for what trucks are intended for.

I'm driving a 2021 F250 Lariat FX4 right this minute. Not sure I want to spend $76,000 right now but OMG is sweet. Even heated seats in the back and 30,000lbs towing minus the truck
The titan is at the Ford dealership.
If I decide to trade. I will have s Afe intake air tube system I'll sell cheap. I would need your stock tube and air box.

I'll never dry don't buy it. I think the member BMW on here that sold me his exhaust has had little to no issues.
Just like old Blue the Ford Larry has. You can't convince the guys that the 6.0 powerstroke had never had the head off. But it hasn't. Go with your gut like I said lol. I did wanna buy a titan lol

·
32 Posts
I've got my POS back today.
It sure feels good.
I asked for an extended towing package they said it already toes 12,000 plus.
I said no for when it dies again. They laughed.

As far as other makers, right now in the family and extended family. Between us no one had had the problems that I've had with this thing. Old blue dress a 417,000 plus miles 6.0 Larry has had the oil pumps and some injectors replaced. Head has never been off. I've got a Toyota 4runner with 368,000 yep head gaskets at 180,000. Also have a 2008 Toyota Sequoia 275,000 it would be the choice for a long trip. The 2017 F250 well I don't know if dad has ever taken it in for anything but then again it's only a 2017. Not like the 2016 Titan high mileage 65,000 titan. It's on its second engine third harness and second exhaust. They actually kept it to.let me look because I didn't believe a word they said. The exhaust was packed. The sensors were melted the thermocouples were stuck in it. Bringing the pos home today I was reminded of why you don't go through a automatic car wash left side vents blowing warm air right side nice and cold.
The thing is the other makers just fixed the problems. Nissan looked at mine and said well that's weird and said we will need to hold on to it for 30 days that's when we can get back to it.

I used to be like what the hell are the guys doing to these trucks. Broke cranks, runs like crap, etc....

I've lived it I'll drive it for a bit but it's a truck that you can't get parts for. And if they have then it will be days before you can get it. They had a turbo in there and it was full of crap and I don't see how. Wait that was the second time they got it for the turbo. Something about a gate. Not the waste gate I think this one is for the smaller turbo. First fix lasted 100 miles. Thats how I know that the backorder on the turbo is like 200.

I love the truck it drives good, it's strong,it's beautiful and if you don't watch it your doing 80 mph. Even Jackson was surprised by it.

I'm 51 I've had everything still have some. 70 Boss, 64 F100 with a 351 Cleveland, 1986 300zx and the Sequoia.

I'm not saying no other maker doesn't have problems but at least they acknowledge their shit. Nissan acts like you should deal.with it.
And that goes back to the brand new 2017 Maxima Platinum with 217 miles that I put on it. They changed the oil then they said something was weird with the transmission 5,000 miles later they said it was bad when it left me on the side of the road.

Anyway I'm printing stickers lol.

I need ideas I'm thinking
"this is proof you can make 6,000 lbs of crap roll"
That one is going beside the Titan logo on tailgate unless it falls off from the weight of it.

Hey if it would if I knew I could tow a camper for the next 3 or 4 years with it I would keep it.
I would deal with the transmission, the heated seats that don't heat, the mixer valve on drive side that just stopped working again and if I could get a warranty. The thing is they sold it like it was going to take over the 1/2 market and would have. It's very hard to beat its specs for towing. But if you can't even use it as a Sunday driver why would anyone buy it to use for what trucks are intended for.

I'm driving a 2021 F250 Lariat FX4 right this minute. Not sure I want to spend $76,000 right now but OMG is sweet. Even heated seats in the back and 30,000lbs towing minus the truck
The titan is at the Ford dealership.
If I decide to trade. I will have s Afe intake air tube system I'll sell cheap. I would need your stock tube and air box.

I'll never dry don't buy it. I think the member BMW on here that sold me his exhaust has had little to no issues.
Just like old Blue the Ford Larry has. You can't convince the guys that the 6.0 powerstroke had never had the h
Well you obviously have no love for Nissan products at this point. Can’t say as I blame you considering your experience. Which is unfortunate. Maybe I just buy a bicycle and give up driving motorized vehicles all together. Good luck with the Ford purchase if you go that way. My only other diesel truck experience was a 2011 F250, first year of the 6.7 power stroke i think. Truck was a beast, really nice too. My issue with it was the ride was so harsh unloaded that it jarred my teeth on every bump or pothole. Other than that, it got about 17 mpg unloaded at highway speeds which i guess is good for a big diesel ? I dont know i was expecting better but that was about it. I couldnt deal with the ride so i got rid of it , traded for a 2102 Platinum Armada Nissan 4x4 . 135K trouble free miles on that one. Got ready to drive something different was only reason i let that one go….. should still be in it really…… . I understand the newer SUper Duty Ford and even the RAM heavy duty trucks all have improved ride quality . Dont know , haven’t ridden in or driven one. Take care.

·
450 Posts
As far as other makers, right now in the family and extended family. Between us no one had had the problems that I've had with this thing.
And my experience is the exact opposite. Everyone I know with a big 3 diesel complains non-stop and they're always in the shop to get something fixed. 3 of them got so tired of it they switched to the XD after trying my XD and seeing how well it performs and how enjoyable and carefree it is. None of us are having any issues and they are very happy they switched.

There are good ones and bad ones, just like with every single manufacturer. Well, maybe not Honda. Those things run forever. :ROFLMAO:

·
2016 Gun Metal Gray Titan XD
4 Posts
Just took my XD in with bad turbo, dealer has three others with same problem waiting on parts they said might be months. Where's the parts time for a recall.

·
257 Posts
Just took my XD in with bad turbo, dealer has three others with same problem waiting on parts they said might be months. Where's the parts time for a recall.
My Nissan diesel mechanic was putting all the blame on the emissions on this truck. If you run your truck with emissions for a long while before deleting, then it’s still obvious the emissions were clogging stuff up before, now they just removed it and causing all that built up soot to be coming loose and screwing even more stuff up. That’s why they said delete as soon as possible. Luckily I drove my truck hard and mostly 75mph highway speeds with emissions intact before deleting it. You can’t put-put these trucks around town with emissions intact and expect it to work. The emissions were made for highway use.

·
24 Posts
Well, it doesn't matter anymore.

I sold my 2016 this week for 2 reasons. First, the limited production of the 5.0 is reported to have resulted in longer wait times at dealers for the lack of major failure mode repair parts and Nissan having discontinued certification of mechanics to work on them. Second, the vulnerability of the 5.0 diesel engine to succumb to the whims of emission controls failures of DEF pumps, CP4 pumps, EGR coolers, turbos, hanging fuel injectors and broken crankshafts, etc.. It's only a matter of time.

In our golden years, we travel too much here in the Southwest to be left hanging somewhere. I’ve already had one experience camped out locally, where the truck threw some codes that wouldn't clear. I was able to drive the truck back 60 miles back, leaving my rig in the mountains to pick up my 20 year old standby 7.3 Powerstroke to retrieve it and get the XD to the dealer in Prescott. The prospect of a limp mode surfacing in the desert east of the Sierras or in a really isolated mountain area was something I just didn’t want to entertain. Aside from a few fits of code throwing, I’ve never had any real issues with this truck. It has been a great truck for 43000+ miles and sold it with some regret. In the end, risk management won out.

Now the interesting part. We had the truck professionally detailed and listed it for sale on a popular social media marketplace targeted at the Sacramento area while visiting last month. Within 2 days we had over 100 views and several saves. Shortly thereafter, we were contacted by a dealer in Nor Cal with an offer of $38,000 to buy the truck sight unseen. A second dealer (where I bought the truck) got into the picture with a higher offer of $39K. While trying to verify the authenticity of the first dealer, that dealer raised their offer to 40K knowing a $39K offer was at hand. While still trying to vett the first dealer, “my” dealer raised its offer to $40,200. Sold.

My conclusion is that there remains a strong marketplace currently for the Cummins 5.0 XD. The issues we see in this forum are real, but have failed to dampen the interest in Cummins 5.0. My personal take on it is that the truck is likely in a better place in a more densely populated and traveled area with greater access to support.

The plan is to move on to the Godzilla, which has been on my radar for the last year. I will shed the shackles of post 2007 diesels and step into the world of the old pushrod gasoline engine that on paper, is nearly as powerful as my Banks breathing and nearly bullet proof ‘99 Powerstroke. The 10 speed transmission should make sure that power is being used most efficiently. So far the only issues I’ve seen reported on the Godzilla have been a faulty spark plug wire problem, which is presumably corrected and a leaking front crank seal. The jury is still out on whether the crank seal issue has found a permanent fix. Of course, it's still a good idea to stay tuned to anything else that might surface. So far though, a far cry from the "plague" the Cummins XD has experienced.

Good bye to a good friend and a hat tip to all those on the forum who contributed, especially Realbored, to keeping it fit.
View attachment 46239

·
24 Posts
Well, it doesn't matter anymore.

I sold my 2016 this week for 2 reasons. First, the limited production of the 5.0 is reported to have resulted in longer wait times at dealers for the lack of major failure mode repair parts and Nissan having discontinued certification of mechanics to work on them. Second, the vulnerability of the 5.0 diesel engine to succumb to the whims of emission controls failures of DEF pumps, CP4 pumps, EGR coolers, turbos, hanging fuel injectors and broken crankshafts, etc.. It's only a matter of time.

In our golden years, we travel too much here in the Southwest to be left hanging somewhere. I’ve already had one experience camped out locally, where the truck threw some codes that wouldn't clear. I was able to drive the truck back 60 miles back, leaving my rig in the mountains to pick up my 20 year old standby 7.3 Powerstroke to retrieve it and get the XD to the dealer in Prescott. The prospect of a limp mode surfacing in the desert east of the Sierras or in a really isolated mountain area was something I just didn’t want to entertain. Aside from a few fits of code throwing, I’ve never had any real issues with this truck. It has been a great truck for 43000+ miles and sold it with some regret. In the end, risk management won out.

Now the interesting part. We had the truck professionally detailed and listed it for sale on a popular social media marketplace targeted at the Sacramento area while visiting last month. Within 2 days we had over 100 views and several saves. Shortly thereafter, we were contacted by a dealer in Nor Cal with an offer of $38,000 to buy the truck sight unseen. A second dealer (where I bought the truck) got into the picture with a higher offer of $39K. While trying to verify the authenticity of the first dealer, that dealer raised their offer to 40K knowing a $39K offer was at hand. While still trying to vett the first dealer, “my” dealer raised its offer to $40,200. Sold.

My conclusion is that there remains a strong marketplace currently for the Cummins 5.0 XD. The issues we see in this forum are real, but have failed to dampen the interest in Cummins 5.0. My personal take on it is that the truck is likely in a better place in a more densely populated and traveled area with greater access to support.

The plan is to move on to the Godzilla, which has been on my radar for the last year. I will shed the shackles of post 2007 diesels and step into the world of the old pushrod gasoline engine that on paper, is nearly as powerful as my Banks breathing and nearly bullet proof ‘99 Powerstroke. The 10 speed transmission should make sure that power is being used most efficiently. So far the only issues I’ve seen reported on the Godzilla have been a faulty spark plug wire problem, which is presumably corrected and a leaking front crank seal. The jury is still out on whether the crank seal issue has found a permanent fix. Of course, it's still a good idea to stay tuned to anything else that might surface. So far though, a far cry from the "plague" the Cummins XD has experienced.

Good bye to a good friend and a hat tip to all those on the forum who contributed, especially Realbored, to keeping it fit.
View attachment 46239
Well, 2017 pro4x Cummins. 4 years of towing and personal 5th wheel deliveries. My own Grand Design is always over 13K. Both diffs are amsoil sever gear oil, air bags and a 50 gallon fuel tank. No full synthetic oil I useT5 Rotella only. The only thing I can say it is one of the most reliable diesels I have ever had. It gets worked hard from south Florida heat to ILL. when we travel. That is about it and I know I could never travel long distance with a gas truck, not to mention no place to fuel with gas a 5th wheel hooked.

·
32 Posts
Right now, with the shortage of “new” trucks, of any make and fuel preference, trucks are hot ticket. I have been watching and pondering for the past month, spending way too much time with the idea of gettting another truck. Work rated and light duty trucks both are in somewhat of short or at least shorter than normal supply due to the chip shortages and such things…… dealers are jacking the prices , some new SUper duty trucks selling for 10-15-20-30K over MSRP according to one source i have ….. companies that really need them to keep their business moving and have money are pulling out the stops to buy what is available. I wont be one of those but it is probably a good time to sell a truck if you don’t need another to replace it, because then you would likely be dealing with paying more than normal for the replacement due to high demand. Nissan trucks on CarFax.com and CarGurus and Auto trader, i am daily watching them, they sell pretty fast. I have missed buying several that I wouldnt have minded owning, just because they were a few hundred miles out of my area and I couldnt just drop things and go look at them. I think people are buying them sight unseen in many cases just for that reason. Strange days .

·
220 Posts
Well, 2017 pro4x Cummins. 4 years of towing and personal 5th wheel deliveries. My own Grand Design is always over 13K. Both diffs are amsoil sever gear oil, air bags and a 50 gallon fuel tank. No full synthetic oil I useT5 Rotella only. The only thing I can say it is one of the most reliable diesels I have ever had. It gets worked hard from south Florida heat to ILL. when we travel. That is about it and I know I could never travel long distance with a gas truck, not to mention no place to fuel with gas a 5th wheel hooked.
That’s me too, I work this truck, it gets drive hard, I keep fresh fluids and stay on top of things. Truck has treated me better than any truck I’ve owned. I think the ones with all the issues bought this truck and drive it like a grandma and never tows anything but a utility trailer

·
6 Posts
I've got a 2016 XD SL and love it when it runs. Hate it when it doesn't. I bought it used this past January and it's left me stranded twice out in town and needed to be towed to the dealer for warranty work. Its not started but eventually did about 6 other times since January here at our house. It's on it's third low pressure fuel pump. This last time they replace both the LPF pump and the IPDM. We'll see what happens. Call me a sucker, but I love the truck. It tows like a champ and it looks sharp. If I get stranded again well see just how much I love it a third time. And just so folks know I'm not a diesel newbie, My last truck was a 2002 7.3 F250 XLT for the past 15 yrs.

·
220 Posts
Yeah you should of avoided that truck. Sorry if I offend anyone but you couldn’t give me a 2016 model. Seems they are the most cursed with issues

·
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
...That is about it and I know I could never travel long distance with a gas truck, not to mention no place to fuel with gas a 5th wheel hooked.
Well, that is exactly the opposite of someone I just met in Sweetwater, Texas said with a big a$$ 5th wheel attached to his 7.3 gasser with a 3.55 diff! He was on his way home back to Austin from a trip into WY, MT, CO with some heavy duty mountain passes along the way. I know the route he took. Been on it.

He shed the diesel world for exactly the same reasons I did, only he actually experienced all those late model diesel issues I only dreamed about having (but others on this forum are experiencing!) before I ditched my XD. Now, should we really expect him to have said anything differently? Seeing as he was a "seasoned" Texan, I don't think he would mince words if the the 7.3 gasser wasn't up to the task!

I'm towing less and if he was overjoyed with his, I'll probably be an order of magnitude beyond that. A Godzilla October delivery can't come soon enough! But until that happens, I do miss the ol' XD a bit. My '99 Powerstroke just beats the dickens out of us, but it DOES keep chuggin' along. Not only might miss the late model diesel woes, I might miss the anxiety of ever having them! Judgment deferred until October delivery.

·
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 · (Edited)
Just following up and this will be the last post I initiate on the forum. Took delivery of the 2022 250 Lariat with the 7.3 and 3.55 gears early September. My 99 Powerstroke with Banks mods crushed (with less sophistication, indeed) the potentially problematic Cummins 5.0 power-wise. This 7.3 gasser crushes the 99 Powerstroke towing the very same 6000 lb trailer up the same more challenging Interstate grades. No thrashing and all on 87 Octane, too. No need to go at those grades with my foot in it like that, anyway. Just wanted to see what this gasser could do.

This should give some pause to those that maintain a gasser (esp with 3.55 gears) isn't anything they can tow with at least from a power perspective. I guess it would be important to qualify what "tow" means. After seeing an F250 7.3/3.55 handle a 24k lb load, I was going to be satisfied with 3.55 gears for what I do. The 10 speed transmission is better at keeping the engine in its optimum power band than I expected.

The only things I might miss are that little cockpit switch that adjusted the XD's headlights and the ability to extend the driver side sun visor. Haven't had anybody flash me yet, so I might not be missing that switch! Will have to come up with another solution for the visor if the need presses.

For anybody considering the change, if you have the tolerance for the longer Crew Cab long bed, you'll get a 48 gallon fuel tank. Otherwise, the 6 3/4' bed will be 34 gal. The 4.30 gears might be for someone considering larger diameter tires or towing heavier. I think the 4.30s in the F250/7.3 put you at 19K and the 3.55s at ~15K.

·
10 Posts
I just watched this video...too
Dang... I think I would've went with a different truck if I knew about the 5.0 issues on this diesel...

Are they just as unreliable after an emissions delete? Does that make a difference with the sludge build up?

·
416 Posts
Yes, the parts issues are real. They had a problem with the rotary control valve and actuator on the sequential turbo--a common issue it seems. So, yes a delete does stop EGR input and the soot buildup in the air horn and manifold. But that wasn't their problem here in this video. Yes, it is unsightly and they got a few yucks out of all the effort to clean it out. But it did not cause their problem (EGR gases are injected right inot the air horn well after the turbo) and there have been a lot of trucks that have gone many miles emissions intact.

Soot is present in the exhaust stream by nature of the diesel combustion process--deleting doesn't change that of course. So the turbo RCN valve is going to soot/coke up on all engines at some point. You could argue that extra fueling/HP tunes--or simply driving aggressively might hasten the buildup of soot in the valve because there is more soot in the exhaust stream. Why some get sticky earlier than others and have earlier actuator failures--who knows why? But emissions delete is not a factor in this RCN failure mode.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts