Nissan Titan XD Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
2017 Titan XD SV Diesel
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2017 XD SV the audio system connects to the old app which is garbage now. Has anyone switched to a new head with apple CarPlay? If so does it connect to the input port in the dash? Did you do it yourself/ease of project? Thanks all I appreciate it!

·
29 Posts
I have a 2017 with the factory Rockford Fosgate and Navigation. I've swapped it out for the Pioneer 8600nex 10.1 just last week and everything works great. It's got wireless Android auto and carplay but I also have it hooked up to the stock USB port Incase I need to use that too. I would rate it a 6 out of 10 on a DIY scale but crutchfield has clear instructions on what you need to take apart to get to the stock radio dash area.

Took me about 8 hours start to finish, but I took my time and made sure the wiring was all neatly done and tucked away. Not sure if the SV model has the dash gauges, but I can cycle through those still so the Axxess steering wheel adapter works flawlessly. I had to do a lot of research on all the parts I needed as crutchfield doesn't list anything that actually works for our trucks. Also, all the dash installation kits available for our trucks (Metra, Scosche..etc)do not have a180mm wide opening so a lot of aftermarket radios do not fit the dash kits and trimming of the kits is a must. I brought this to Crutchfields attention and they were able to see exactly what I was talking about and said they would make some notes about this issue. I had to trim mine with a Dremel which took another extra 30 minutes of my time.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Cloud

·
1 Posts
I have a 2017 with the factory Rockford Fosgate and Navigation. I've swapped it out for the Pioneer 8600nex 10.1 just last week and everything works great. It's got wireless Android auto and carplay but I also have it hooked up to the stock USB port Incase I need to use that too. I would rate it a 6 out of 10 on a DIY scale but crutchfield has clear instructions on what you need to take apart to get to the stock radio dash area.

Took me about 8 hours start to finish, but I took my time and made sure the wiring was all neatly done and tucked away. Not sure if the SV model has the dash gauges, but I can cycle through those still so the Axxess steering wheel adapter works flawlessly. I had to do a lot of research on all the parts I needed as crutchfield doesn't list anything that actually works for our trucks. Also, all the dash installation kits available for our trucks (Metra, Scosche..etc)do not have a180mm wide opening so a lot of aftermarket radios do not fit the dash kits and trimming of the kits is a must. I brought this to Crutchfields attention and they were able to see exactly what I was talking about and said they would make some notes about this issue. I had to trim mine with a Dremel which took another extra 30 minutes of my time.

View attachment 46844
Very Nice install and thanks for the information! Nissans radios have been an issue across the entire line. I know my 18 XD with the Rockford system at times wont power on and locks up. This looks great.

·
14 Posts
About a year ago I upgraded my '18 XD Pro-4x Cummins to a [ PX6 SIX-CORE ] 12.1” Android 9 Fast boot Vertical Screen Navigation Radio for Nissan Titan 2016 - 2019 × 1

It took a few weeks to arrive from China. There is a youtube video of the install and it was very very easy to follow. Fit and finish looks factory.

It's basically a large Android tablet. I use my cell phone as a wifi hotspot and have downloaded several apps (Youtube, Youtube TV, Prime Video, Bally Sports for the Milwaukee Brewers, and others). It works very very well. There are even hard buttons for my parking sensors, blind spot monitoring, heated steering wheel, traction control, fan speed, camera, Nav, and knobs for volume and temp control. The hard buttons and knobs are factory quality and they work well.

A few gripes.... the min volume on Radio is quite loud. At level "1" it feels like it should be level "5". If seat heaters are on, the back up camera is just a little fuzzy. Every once in a while, as I'm listening to bluetooth on my phone, it'll randomly go to the next track. There are a few very tiny quirks here and there.

BUT, the benefits far outweigh the few small gripes.

Their customer service was pretty responsive as I started to complain about the min volume being too loud, but I lost interest as it ended up not bothering me as much as it first did. I rarely listen to radio anyway. So that's on me, not them.

Impressive purchase for under $900.

·
14 Posts
You know, right after I wrote this post, I just opened a support ticket with Phoenix Automotive to address a few of my biggest gripes. Writing the post above made me want to address these as well as give an evaluation of their customer service. Below is my support ticket description that I just submitted.

Hi there,
My minimum volume on radio and during bluetooth phone calls is too loud. When at Level 1, the radio is very loud.

I also would like to select the button colors to stay red, instead of cycling through a bunch of colors.

And at night, the screen is still too bright. I'd like to be able to adjust it lower if desired.

·
249 Posts
You know, right after I wrote this post, I just opened a support ticket with Phoenix Automotive to address a few of my biggest gripes. Writing the post above made me want to address these as well as give an evaluation of their customer service. Below is my support ticket description that I just submitted.

Hi there,
My minimum volume on radio and during bluetooth phone calls is too loud. When at Level 1, the radio is very loud.

I also would like to select the button colors to stay red, instead of cycling through a bunch of colors.

And at night, the screen is still too bright. I'd like to be able to adjust it lower if desired.
Have they gotten back to you? Did they help out at all?

·
14 Posts
Have they gotten back to you? Did they help out at all?
@Ericny
Yes they actually have a pretty nice support ticket system and a nice and professional way to schedule a support call (face time, Google duo, goggle meet).
The support tech didn't log onto the scheduled call which was a little annoying. I called phoenix and they got me in touch with the right person. Once we connected, the support tech spoke good English, was very helpful, and walked me through fixing some things.
Minimum volume level is now fixed on radio as well as BT calls, which I'm thrilled about as that was my biggest complaint.
They weren't able to do anything about the night time brightness on the call. But their senior tech took it upon himself to figure it out. They emailed me a patch which I'll have to download on a USB drive and upload it. I haven't gotten around to it yet tho. But I'm impressed they cared enough to follow up.
As far as the button color, that was a very simple fix in a setting that I wasn't aware of.
Overall, I'm impressed and very happy. They stand behind their product and have prompt service.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
14 Posts
I should add, even though at night the unit is still bright, there is a night time button on top which turns the screen off. So the cab is nice and dark and easy on the eyes. I use that feature all the time. Also, all the steering wheel controls work flawlessly.

·
2017 Titan XD SV Diesel
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I should add, even though at night the unit is still bright, there is a night time button on top which turns the screen off. So the cab is nice and dark and easy on the eyes. I use that feature all the time. Also, all the steering wheel controls work flawlessly.

Do you have a picture of the finish/how long did the install take?

·
14 Posts
@JFrasher
There's a pic (excuse the dirty screen)
The fit & finish is factory. It looks like it came off the assembly line.
Install time was about 35 min or so. Not a single cut or splice. The unit uses the factory connectors. There is a YouTube video from them walking through the installation on our exact truck which was really nice to follow. It's seriously easier than installing a single din stereo kit in a Honda civic lol.
They will ship you the unit with the appropriate hard buttons according to which options you have in your truck. In my case I have it all (parking sensors, blind spot detection, and heated wheel).
Last week I was split screening Google maps and the packer game (via YouTube TV) on the way back from deer hunting. It's an Android tablet so the possibilities are vast.

·
2017 Titan XD SV Diesel
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@JFrasher
There's a pic (excuse the dirty screen)
The fit & finish is factory. It looks like it came off the assembly line.
Install time was about 35 min or so. Not a single cut or splice. The unit uses the factory connectors. There is a YouTube video from them walking through the installation on our exact truck which was really nice to follow. It's seriously easier than installing a single din stereo kit in a Honda civic lol.
They will ship you the unit with the appropriate hard buttons according to which options you have in your truck. In my case I have it all (parking sensors, blind spot detection, and heated wheel).
Last week I was split screening Google maps and the packer game (via YouTube TV) on the way back from deer hunting. It's an Android tablet so the possibilities are vast.

I guess that’s my issue I have an IPhone. I saw they have a CarPlay option too. Looks great!

·
14 Posts
I guess that’s my issue I have an IPhone. I saw they have a CarPlay option too. Looks great!
I'd say whether you have an Android or Apple cell phone is irrelevant - it doesn't matter. I don't use the Android Auto feature. And you can purchase the Apple Carplay option - which I don't have any experience with. What I'm saying is, just like any tablet, you can download apps and use them while tethering off your wifi hotspot on your phone.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts