Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Interesting comments from one of my favorite writers...

Some in the media thought that Nissan should be awarded a gold star for its new Titan, especially since it offers a Cummins turbo-diesel engine. Really? You have to be kidding. The new Titan is a derivative, let’s-throw-everything-plus-the-kitchen-sink Hail Mary pass at the pickup truck market that manages to come off more like a pathetic cry for help.

The fact that the Nissan brain trust actually thinks that they can blend an assortment of existing design cues from each top competitor in the market in a new pickup entry and call it good says more about the intransigent arrogance embedded in the company – and especially in its leader Carlos Ghosn – than anything I could possibly say. The Titan is a woefully disappointing me-too effort aimed at a market that has no room for me-too of anything. And Ghosn’s ridiculous comment about the Titan meeting “unmet needs” in the pickup truck market? It’s only the quintessential definition of unbridled, out-of-touch automotive arrogance laid bare for all to see, in case you’re wondering.
http://www.autoextremist.com/current/2015/1/19/carry-on.html

Aside from the pathetic cry for help thing, I don't necessary think he's wrong...The Cummins is the selling feature IMO, maybe like the old days when you just happened to get a Dodge with your Cummins...???

·
857 Posts
That is what it comes down to and i'm sure Nissan is getting a ton more eyes on the new Titan because of their use of a diesel engine in it. If it wasn't for that, i'm not sure what hype might be like around it now.

·
2019 Titan XD Pro4x Cummins
665 Posts
It's a rather short sighted view if you ask me.

The fact is that there is only so many things you can be orginal at when building a pickup. Nissan absolutly did the right thing and I hope that the gamble pays off for them. First off, if you're going to build a pick up you better have the best features of all the pickups available if you want a chance at selling your truck. This isn't about statements, this is about sales numbers. That's why the styling on the Titan is so subdued and fits in with the rest. Where the Titan XD is unique, is where it matters, under the sheetmetal.

No one else wants to commit to a properly done V8 turbo diesel half-ton. Nissan not only got the V8 part right but they also picked the best engine manufacture that comes with a built in client base. Even more impressively they stuck with a six-speed automatic because they know a diesel engine does best when it spends less time shifting.

From what's being published Nissan got it right. Now the wait to drive one to find out how right they got it.

I'd be saying this too about Ford or GM too if they built a v8 turbo diesel half ton. Though I doubt the duramax or powerstroke marketing names have as much pull as Cummins does.

·
608 Posts
I agree with what he is saying but I don't think that it is such a bad thing.

Nissan did kinda throw everything at the truck market, but that's not a bad thing. They are trying to live up to what people expect from this market.

·
56 Posts
As a ford guy all I can say is what they threw at it has made me start looking hard at it. I had a super duty and it was too big, my current f150 does not tow as well as I'd like. i don't like the styling of the XD but I do like what's under the body. I'm waiting to see if they offer a 5.5' bed option so I can get a smaller overall length.

·
608 Posts
As a ford guy all I can say is what they threw at it has made me start looking hard at it. I had a super duty and it was too big, my current f150 does not tow as well as I'd like. i don't like the styling of the XD but I do like what's under the body. I'm waiting to see if they offer a 5.5' bed option so I can get a smaller overall length.
What exactly don't you like about the design? I am not in love with it, but I find it pretty comparable to what competitors are doing.

·
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Grill
fender accents front & rear (the quarter panels look like they belong on a crossover)
Agreed, I think thats a result of aerowork, RAM moved the bar on increasing efficiency through the air IMO, long gone are box days...

·
608 Posts
I'll agree that the grille could be better, but I don't really have a problem with the quarter panels. On the plus side I think that the headlights were done really well.

·
2019 Titan XD Pro4x Cummins
665 Posts
My biggest gripe with the headlights is the single projector. On my Q45 it uses a four lamp headlight system which gives fantastic highbeam performance even for being a halogen system. When I was driving an Audi A6 in Germany it had a single projector, bi-xenon arrangement. Low beams were fantastic, but pulling back the horizon shield for highbeams didn't give a great pattern or that much better lighting performance.

The JW Speaker LED headlights have low beam and high beam optics, optimizing the light for each condition. I'm concerned the Titan will have great low beams but the high beams will leave some room for improvement.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts