Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I upgraded my stereo with a new Kenwood DMX7705s a few months ago. I ordered from Crutchfield, and paid the extra $25 to have them wire the harness for the new radio. It was pretty much plug and play. The steering wheel controls worked without any programming. The problem i found was the new stereo made the factory backup camera even worse than before. It was pretty blurry and hardly usable with my new radio. I looked up the wiring diagram for the rear camera, and found it it was just power and RCA signals sent over the four wires.

I purchased a 720P camera on amazon that was close to the same size as the factory. My radio display is 800x480, so I figured this would be a good match. Below are some instructions, and parts needed to upgrade. The new camera has a much better picture than factory one. I'll try to get some pictures of the display to post tomorrow.

Tools:
10MM Nut driver or 10MM socket with extension
Phillips Screwdriver
Wire strippers
Soldering Iron or Crimp Connectors
Heat Shrink Tube and Electrical Tape
A few Zip Ties
Hot Glue Gun

Parts:
The rear connector on the factory camera is a Yazaki 7282-8853-30 male end connector. Here's a link on amazon that has both ends for sale. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079HVCB3C/
720P Backup Camera Only. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SNHHGKY

Wiring for factory plug in tailgate.
  • Blue Wire - Rear Camera Power
  • Blue/White Wire - Ground for Power
  • Red Wire - Camera RCA Positive
  • Red/White Wire - Camera RCA Negative

My new harness with the Yazaki 7282-8853-30 connector to prevent splicing into the harness.

Instructions.
  1. Lower Tailgate and Remove the eight screws that hold the back panel on.
  2. Unplug the factory camera cable and set aside.
  3. Remove the two 10MM bolts that are holding the tailgate handle, and it will easily come out.
  4. Remove the two 10mm bolts that mount the factory camera to tailgate handle. ( I tried to reuse this part since the new camera had similar mounting holes. It was 180 off mounted this way)
  5. Remove the two tiny screws that hold the factory plug to the camera housing. Now you can remove the factory cable from the truck.
  6. Install the new camera pointed in the right direction. I put a few wraps of electric tape to get it to friction fit in the tailgate handle, then put a bit of hot glue to hold it in place.
  7. Tie up wires so they are out of the way.
  8. Connect the new harness and reinstall the tailgate panel. Here's the new camera installed. Looks just about like the factory one.

·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I suspect it might help the factory radio. The factory camera seems to be a standard CMOS camera. I think the factory radio must a fairly low resolution on the screen. My aftermarket radio made the OEM camera look even worse despite the screen being almost exactly the same size. If the dash was a bit easier to take apart I'd swap the stock one in to check. You have to unbolt and move the center console out of the way to get to all the bolts for the radio. At least the camera in the tailgate is very easy to get to if someone wants to test on the factory radio.

·
1 Posts
Just did this camera install and THANK YOU! I couldn't stand the factory camera, this upgraded one is so much better! A note for my install, clip the WHITE wire on the new camera (next to the green). It defaults as a front camera, clipping the white wire makes the orientation correct!

·
1 Posts
Hi All,

I want to keep my factory head unit in my 2021 Titan Pro-4X. As you've all mentioned, the backup camera is the worst image i've ever seen! Is there an easy plug and play replacement option?

·
1 Posts
Thanks for the info. A few months back I upgraded the head unit in my 2016 to one of the 12.5-inch ones from Phoenix and it made the backup camera look even worse. Also, I was able to skip the glue and tape by fabricating mounting plate used nail plate from the hardware store, some tin snip to cut it, a few screes, and some washer.

It looks like 12.5 head unit has been replaced with nicer look 13 inch one.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts