Nissan Titan XD Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Leaving work today and my truck wouldn't start... it was trying.... but it wouldn't start. Truck is a '17 so the battery should be fine.... Well, I got a jump then went to the auto parts store. Found out that the truck isn't in their catalog for batteries so they don't have a replacement. It's a national auto parts store. Decided to try the dealership, they don't have a replacement in stock. I'm in Texas so if any dealership should have inventory you would think it would be here. I see the trucks all over the place now, daily. The gm did attempt to fix the problem, told the tech to take out a battery from their new inventory , similar truck. Well... they only had the diesels. So I'm in a rogue now... because of a battery... it should be noted, I had a lot of corrosion on the battery terminals for such a young truck. Might check yours if you have a 17 gasser. I'll try to post a pic.

·
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just got the truck back... wish I knew more about batteries. They replaced my old one with a new one, they blamed it on the battery. When I popped the hood there was some fluid on top of the battery. Thought that was interesting. Surely they don't add fluids on site... i wiped most of it off. Not sure what to think of it. They cleaned the terminals but after a short ride back to work I checked again. No more fluid on the battery but the positive side had blue-ish build up that I thought wasn't there before but could have missed it at the dealership. I'm guessing I should clean the area thoroughly, maybe add some grease?? Then check back after a few days? Don't know much about shortages, and you ain't lying about the price of those batteries...$270 if I remember correctly. Dealer didn't charge me for the service. My understanding is that build up on the positive side could be a result of over charging from the alternator. But that doesn't seem to explain why I had build up on both sides originally (shortage?). Thanks for the info/suggestions.

·
145 Posts
Just got the truck back... wish I knew more about batteries. They replaced my old one with a new one, they blamed it on the battery. When I popped the hood there was some fluid on top of the battery. Thought that was interesting. Surely they don't add fluids on site... i wiped most of it off. Not sure what to think of it. They cleaned the terminals but after a short ride back to work I checked again. No more fluid on the battery but the positive side had blue-ish build up that I thought wasn't there before but could have missed it at the dealership. I'm guessing I should clean the area thoroughly, maybe add some grease??
Could be a cleaner or corrosion preventative they added. I normally change my own batteries, and I have a couple of aerosol cans for when I do. One is a cleaner. I spray that on both battery terminals and cables, then clean the contacts of both with a battery terminal brush. Once done, I spray the terminals with a protective spray. IIRC, it's red in color.

·
701 Posts
what does your voltmeter read ??? I would not completely dismiss the possibility of overcharging although the dealer should have ruled that out.. I use a 12 volt led /digital volt meter that plugs into the cigarette lighter/12 volt convenience outlet to verify my indash volt meters accuracy... they are affordable and quite accurate and very convenient for monitoring such possible issues... if there is a discrepancy I break out the tried and true fluke dvm and find out who is in error.. as belzelbub suggested the spray coating for battery terminals works great... NAPA has the terminal spray also.. spray em forget em !! good luck..xxx

·
507 Posts
you ain't lying about the price of those batteries...$270 if I remember correctly. Dealer didn't charge me for the service. .

It was probably Warranty service, as it is a 17, I think there is a 1 year warranty on those "consumables"
There is nothing special about the batteries to cost 270.00.
I switched and pulled the Deep batteries out of my Cougar fifth wheel when my RV's Converter went out, and charged them in the Titan.. They fit in there just fine.

·
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Don't have a voltmeter at the moment. Decided I'm going to thoroughly clean this weekend and do my own preventative treatment. Any recommendations are appreciated. It was warranty work... The new battery has a 2 year warranty, then converts to a usable life formula for 5 more years for partial reimbursement.

·
517 Posts
I went to leave the airport today and one of my batteries was dead and the truck wouldn't start. I have a 2016 Pro4X with 59000 miles on it. I could get it fixed under warranty, but I'm going to just get some Optima batteries and do it right. I too had some corrosion going on with one of the batteries, but I cleaned it up about a month ago. Bottom line is, don't expect too much out of these batteries. Granted I live in AZ, which really tough on batteries. Generally if you get 3 years out of a battery here, that's respectable.

·
701 Posts
It was probably Warranty service, as it is a 17, I think there is a 1 year warranty on those "consumables"
I switched and pulled the Deep batteries out of my Cougar fifth wheel when my RV's Converter went out, and charged them in the Titan.. They fit in there just fine.
beware , the current busse inside the deep cycle batteries are not as heavy as the starting batteries.. if they get to much of a cold start load they will act like a fuse and open up.. that is the main diff between the deep cycle and normal batteries.deep cycles are ment for long low amp current draws.. starting barreries are built for short high amp bursts... xxx

·
1,979 Posts
you ain't lying about the price of those batteries...$270 if I remember correctly. Dealer didn't charge me for the service. .

Buy a charger. Modern vehicles do not like the electrical systems messed with.
The 1st Gen Titans are known for blowing TCM's when the battery is unhooked or dies. My 08 Titans instrument panel would light up like a xmas tree & it would put itself into 4wd when the battery would get low, no joke.

·
288 Posts
I'm in Texas... heat took out both batteries 2 years in ('17 PR 5.0). Dealer replaced both under warranty.

Russ

·
13 Posts
I'm in Texas... heat took out both batteries 2 years in ('17 PR 5.0). Dealer replaced both under warranty.

Russ
Wow, since you mentioned warranty I called the dealership. I’ve had my used 2017 for about 7 months and just found out that I have 100,000 miles and 10 years. That’s amazing! I’m taking my to a dealer on Monday. Thanks for the tip.

·
13 Posts
2017 Titan Pro 4x. Had the dealer replace the battery today. Covered under warranty, but I’m a bit concerned about the model battery. Apparently there are three options. The Pro 4x apparently gets the strongest one bc of the 4x4, towing package, etc. I’m curious if anyone knows for sure what the Pro 4x gets

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.