Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
857 Posts
F-150 cruelty!

With all those creases, it's not going to be easy fixing that area they messed up, but at least the aluminum seems to have held up quite well.

·
857 Posts
Not surprised how much it cost for the whole repair, especially with the cost of the tail light. it's not going to be fun paying out of pocket.

·
608 Posts
Morale of the story is, don't get in an accident and you won't have to pay the extra money for aluminum repair.

·
608 Posts
Yeah ultimately that is what you want to do.
It's just good to see here first hand what it's like and what it will cost.
I think the most fun part of the video is the guy getting to hit the truck with a sledge hammer. Reminds me of those levels in Street Fighter where you just beat up a car.

·
2019 Titan XD Pro4x Cummins
665 Posts
something they would do to a ford, swing a hammer at it.
Years of experience have taught me that a Ford Truck can take far more abuse than just being hit by a hammer. If Top Gear had taken a Ford truck and gave it the same treatment as the Toyota, the Ford would have pulled off the same feat.

I've been under enough trucks to know, that as far as pickups are concerned, at least up until 2007 where my experience starts to fall off, nothing was stronger or as well built as a Ford. Sure there are a number of problems with the Ford, but it's a tough truck and has been for a long time.

Nissan pairing the ISV is a smart step, and beefing up the frame is pretty smart too, but everyone is fighting an uphill battle against Ford when it comes to the work truck segment.

When I was in Fort Mac a couple years ago, I would give a rough guess of 5 Ford Trucks, 3 Dodge, 2 GM per 10 trucks up there.

·
88 Posts
That first video blew my mind. The new aluminum F-150 looks super strong! If you need the same test a Toyota Tacoma or Tundra the results would be devastating! lol

·
313 Posts
Steel

·
88 Posts
So what's the main goal of an aluminum bodied truck?

Lower depreciation? More strength??? Less weight allowing truck companies to distribute weight in other areas??

Cheers

·
313 Posts
So what's the main goal of an aluminum bodied truck?

Lower depreciation? More strength??? Less weight allowing truck companies to distribute weight in other areas??

Cheers
Al means no rust, but there can still be corrosion if you are not careful, especially when different metals touch.

Less weight = better mileage so Ford can reach the US Gov's CAFE requirements.

Ford claims they've reduced the total weight by up to 700#. But they've also reduced that size & strength of components so the total GVWR of the trucks is reduced as well. Still, the trucks typically end up with ~200# more payload and rear GAWR from what I've seen. Not a bad thing.

Even though CAFE is not applied to the Superduty trucks, Ford is apparently going to switch to Al bodies there as well.

·
2019 Titan XD Pro4x Cummins
665 Posts
Aluminum bodies will make dealership body shops a disgusting amount of money. I bet you insurance rates will go up for the new F150 as some claims start coming in.

·
857 Posts
Aluminum bodies will make dealership body shops a disgusting amount of money. I bet you insurance rates will go up for the new F150 as some claims start coming in.
I think it was MotorTrend that showed how expensive it can get to fix a panel on the F150, easily shot up high into the 4 figure range

1 - 20 of 33 Posts