Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
24 Posts
Just watched it. Got way better towing mpg than the Tundra as it should. Something they never mentioned is how much quieter it was while towing compared to the Tundra since that truck was at over 4000 rpm the whole time.

·
570 Posts
Great video. Loaded it was slightly better than the 6.2L gas. With the price differnce of diesel and DEF, you would probably still slend more.

Unloaded was bad. 16.7 is low. The ecodiesel they tested got nearly twice that! The GM 6.2 usually gets 20 or more on similiar tests. Same for the 3.5tt. I expected similiar mpg unloaded and 20% better when towing. This truck is getting similiar mpg towing and more than 20% WORSE mpg unloaded.

Still, it drove smooth and was quite which is nice.

·
363 Posts
Once again, that's alarmingly poor fuel economy for a 5L tweener diesel. Not too terribly bad loaded. There's a small chance the production vehicle pulls a rabbit out of the hat.

The Ike Gauntlet test will be intersting.

·
107 Posts
Ok, so what is the advantage of that truck??? Its heavy, tow slightly more than an half ton, crappy milleage for a diesel...one mpg more than a 6.2 gasser!! In dont see any advantage at all of buying this truck. Sorry nissan im jumping off the boat, the 2500 series truck look better on every aspects.:surprise: Im very disapointed, its been a long wait for nothing. The flop of the year award goes.........

·
2019 Titan XD Pro4x Cummins
665 Posts
So you haven't driven one yourself and you label the XD a flop? Drama much?

Weight has advantages, the XD will be comfortable carrying a load right up to maximum payload. The other half-ton trucks that weight less will feel sketchy pulling the same weight as an XD.

Reading some of the posts on this forum suggests to me there are lots of arm chair truckers who have never actually pulled real weight before.

·
363 Posts
Ok, so what is the advantage of that truck??? Its heavy, tow slightly more than an half ton, crappy milleage for a diesel...one mpg more than a 6.2 gasser!! In dont see any advantage at all of buying this truck. Sorry nissan im jumping off the boat, the 2500 series truck look better on every aspects.:surprise: Im very disapointed, its been a long wait for nothing. The flop of the year award goes.........
We can come back and see but it's looking like this could be the biggest diesel pickup roll-out #Flop in recent times. How could Fred Diaz and Nissan's truck group miss the big picture?

I feel bad for Cummins.

·
107 Posts

Weight has advantages, the XD will be comfortable carrying a load right up to maximum payload. The other half-ton trucks that weight less will feel sketchy pulling the same weight as an XD.

Reading some of the posts on this forum suggests to me there are lots of arm chair truckers who have never actually pulled real weight before.
I am a trucker by trade, and i tow a 24 foot trailer with my crd and get 14 mpg with it. I was hoping with that truck to upgrade my trailer with a 10k fith wheel, and still get decent fuel milleage unloaded. But to me now, a 2500 ram with coil suspension seems to be logical choice. And no i did not drive cinderella yet.....:devil:

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
I would like to think I for one have been cheerleading the xd extensively. My dealer has been great keeping me in the loop and ordering one to my specs the second it came available.
But as much as I'm hoping it will stand out and excell. Every early test is not showing that. Definitely getting disappointed.
Ram passed on the engine because they could get a couple more mpg out of the ecodiesel. But with nissan building an extra hvy duty half ton for the cummins those mpg numbers have grown worse.
If nissan had thrown it in a slightly beefed up regular titan the numbers would have probably remained true giving up 2-3 mpg to the ecodiesel.
I'm actually starting to get a little more optimistic for the gas V8 xd titan almost 1000lbs lighter, 7 speed tranny and an improved version of the bullet proof 5.6 with no emissions crap like the diesel. And if the cummins/aisin titan carrys a similar premium as the ram cummins/aisin combo. The gas xd should be alot cheaper.

·
665 Posts
There is a glaring point though. The ISV is an engine that can pull 30,000lbs or more in the right application. The Titan XD is built to pull, not to be a drag racer, not to be a MPG queen, but to pull comfortably and reliably.

That's going to become even more evident when the trucks are modified, they won't be as prone to breaking.

If anything we should be applauding Nissan for building a truck the way they used to be built, overkill with a comfortable amount of power.

·
363 Posts
If anything we should be applauding Nissan for building a truck the way they used to be built, overkill with a comfortable amount of power.
If anything, Nissan should have done their homework or even stopped the XD diesel experiment early on or delayed it until they had competent in-house experience. An optimal tweener design approaches half-ton fuel economy while approaching 3/4 ton tow/haul capabilities. The XD doesn't hit the objectives of a tweener. It does the opposite. It makes no sense.

Gotta wonder if Nissan saw the handwriting on the wall and oinked-out the XD to avoid EPA ratings otherwise nothing makes sense.

·
658 Posts

No offense here Navy, but you said you bought your leaf without test driving it. I assume that you were convinced by its merits that appealed to you. As a matter of fact, you almost bragged about it.

Using that logic, anyone should be able to dismiss a vehicle without test driving it based in it demerits alone... I really don't think it's drama, I think that if a vehicle doesn't make sense on paper, it's rarely going to make sense in the real world.

·
570 Posts
atc - I'm with you. I think the gas will maintain all of the things I like about this truck and get rid of the 'Fat'.\

I don't think anyone needs to APPLAUD a car manufacture for the "engineering marvel" of making a vehicle 1000 lbs overweight.

·
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Let's not forget this vehicle is missing a lot of options that the big boys have. Also they never have ram 2500 pickups at these events because they probably realize that it pulls better, rides similar and gets better fuel economy.

·
665 Posts
No offense here Navy, but you said you bought your leaf without test driving it. I assume that you were convinced by its merits that appealed to you. As a matter of fact, you almost bragged about it.
This is a reasonable argument. I have to say the main reason I didn't test drive it is that I didn't really care. I was buying the car for a strictly monetary purpose, to cut my commute costs. That it turned out I like the car is a bonus.

·
665 Posts
I don't think anyone needs to APPLAUD a car manufacture for the "engineering marvel" of making a vehicle 1000 lbs overweight.
I prefer things that are overbuilt and weight isn't always a disadvantage.

Take rifles for example, a heavy rifle is a pain to carry for extended periods of time but manages recoil better.

Everything has its trade offs. I will admit I'm a bit disappointed by the reported fuel mileage numbers and the small fuel tank but at the end of the day I'm buying a truck for its overall capabilities. While I was originally planning to buy the XD and use it as my daily driver, the kilometers I put on the XD would do its best to put me into the poor house. As a heavy duty half ton that I'll only use when I need it, suddenly capabilities not fuel consumption are more important to me. I don't like half-tons because they're too light. Yes the F150 is a good truck, but most of them get pretty beat up in the work truck role. The F250-F350 trucks fair a working life much better. The Titan XD appears to be built closer to a 3/4 ton truck, which means it should withstand rough service.

Also... I don't get the capitalizing of applaud? I know my spelling is terrible but chrome, google and the definition of applaud match the context of what I was saying.

·
167 Posts
I just have to comment that if you want to compare apples to apples then it has to be the same platform. The chev as tested was a max tow rating of 9200lbs with the rear end specified which is designed for fuel economy not towing. The ram eco diesel gets 7500 lbs towing. I'm sure if Nissan would offer a diff option for economy they could achieve much better fuel numbers but less towing. Looking at the tach at nearly 2000 rpm at 70 mph unladen is not its sweet spot for ecconomy. If you want a truck for ecconomy only the go buy one designed for that. Buy a truck that is best suited for your needs and one that gives the greatest joy driving. This s*#ting on Nissan for not building the specific truck that you wanted is silly. Not all people desire the same thing in a truck. I will absolutely be test driving this truck in diesel and gas versions as I'm buying a new truck this year and I will make an informed decision based on that in comparison with price. I will also be entertaining the ram 2500 diesel but there are things I like better about this truck as the ram doesn't offer the Aisen transmission. If dodge offered the old 5.9l with a Aisen transmission in a 2500 I would be sold. But if you think about it that is what Nissan is trying to do. Offer a 3/4 ton truck of yesteryear which alot of people are /where content with those capabilities. Regardless of numbers on paper. Current half tons are not as capable for towing and loads as 3/4 tons of even 20 years ago. Imo

·
122 Posts
The Titan has always been a great truck. Now they made it better. Most guys buy 2500 or bigger trucks and just lift them and put loud exhaust on it. They dont even need it to pull a certain weight.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts