Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's about time for new tires for my 2017 Pro4x 5.0 and I'm looking at the BF Goodrich KO2's in stock size (275 65 18). I have the original OEM tires right now. Has anybody installed BFG's and seen a drop in their MPG? I'm not off road much, but is nice to have better traction when needed and I like they way they look. Just wondering if I should be prepared for a drop in mpg? I had the KO2's before on my land cruiser and loved them.

·
16 Posts
It's about time for new tires for my 2017 Pro4x 5.0 and I'm looking at the BF Goodrich KO2's in stock size (275 65 18). I have the original OEM tires right now. Has anybody installed BFG's and seen a drop in their MPG? I'm not off road much, but is nice to have better traction when needed and I like they way they look. Just wondering if I should be prepared for a drop in mpg? I had the KO2's before on my land cruiser and loved them.
I’m putting them on my gasser 5.6. They are great tires. Had them on my 2004 5.9 Cummins for years and saw no drop in mileage. I’m sure my gasser will see a drop, but you probably won’t see much drop on a 5.0 diesel.

·
443 Posts
If its the same size tire and close to the same weight, its unlikely to see much mpg difference on the tire when putting on a diesel. If they are close to same size, then the only difference is rolling resistance. With it being an AT, I wouldn't expect much if any drop.

·
620 Posts
IMO the BFGs are too soft for the weight of these trucks. Premature wear from the weight, heat and torque.

They are great tires, though.

·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had them on my land cruiser which was heavy (not diesel heavy) and got really good wear out of them work 5k rotations. I really liked them. Most of the E rated tires I've been looking at are all within 6 pounds of each other, but I didn't know if the rolling resistance would affect mpg. I didn't buy this truck to get good mpg, but I also don't want it to drop. Thanks for all the help guys!

·
27 Posts
I don't think you will see much drop but if you drive on gravel they don't last. I had them on a f150 and drove them til the tread face was falling off and didn't even make it to 30,000 miles. Too soft for the rocks on the road. Good traction but they just didn't last.

·
441 Posts
Have to deal with the same trade off as always, rubber with better grip tends to be softer and more pliable, and more aggressive tread patterns also provide better grip but flex more and are prone to increased shear and wear, and if they conform better to the road surface they also tend to flex more under heavy load (increases heat, wear, etc).

I don't like the stock tires, I don't think the last long enough for what they were supposed to be designed for and better options exist, but if you want a long mileage highway tire you'll probably have to give up some off road grip and compliance, and if you you want a tire that grips better in the soft stuff you'll likely be losing some mileage life.

Don't agonize too much over your choice, pick a tire you like from a reputable manufacturer and go, go, go.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Loving my K02s. Surprisingly quiet. I did see a small drop in mpgs, but they are SO MUCH BETTER than the ridiculous oem General "grabbers"!!!!!!!

·
1,265 Posts
I had KO 2’s for the first 44k on my truck. They rode good and were pretty quiet. Changed to the Ridge Grapplers and have about 1k on them. They may be quieter than the BFG’s. Can’t go wrong with either. I like the tread and sidewall of the Nittos better. I don’t think mileage (mpg) should be a concern with either.

·
1,396 Posts
I had KO 2’s for the first 44k on my truck. They rode good and were pretty quiet. Changed to the Ridge Grapplers and have about 1k on them. They may be quieter than the BFG’s. Can’t go wrong with either. I like the tread and sidewall of the Nittos better. I don’t think mileage (mpg) should be a concern with either.
I'm with you on the ridge grapplers. They are by far my favorite tire I've had.

·
20 Posts
Buy them! Great tire! Same mileage and very quite on the road. I can’t praise these tires enough!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts