• Year: 2017
  • Crank: revised version (5462513)
  • Total: 2
  • Year: 2018
  • Crank: revised version (5462513)
  • Total: 1
Hi all,

Two questions:
  1. Where are the sticky threads?? How do we find important info in this forum?
  2. Cummins superseded the crankshaft for the ISV 5.0 from 4359940 (Cummins part number - this is the old version) to 5462513 (new version), but I can't find any info on these part numbers on this forum. There are so many threads on broken cranks, but nothing with part numbers. So let me ask this: what crank is in your current (and old) engine (which part number)? If your crank broke, you must have some documentation on the old and new engines. Please see if you can look it up - instructions are below.
How to look up the crankshaft part number in your engine:
  • To look up the crank installed in your engine, you'll need your Cummins Engine Serial Number (ESN). It's stamped on a serial plate on the engine, but difficult to find... I couldn't find it on mine, but have been told it's on the back of the engine and impossible to get to. You maybe able to get this info from Nissan based on your VIN - I tried calling the dealer near me... they couldn't cross-reference the info. Hope you have better luck.
  • Once you have the ESN, go to the Cummins parts site: Genuine Cummins Parts and enter the ESN in the search box there. If I understand the site correctly, it will then show the parts installed in your engine. You can then click on the "Base Engine" icon, then "Cylinder Block" icon, then look for the "Engine Crankshaft" part in the list - it will have the part number beside it.
  • I was able to find an ESN online that someone posted in a thread in 2016. It must be from an early build. And in fact, it does show the old part number as the crank (4359940).
Now, to avoid fear-mongering, let's be clear; old crank part number does not mean it will break - there are trouble-free engines with many thousands of miles out there. Just looking for crank part numbers please and if it's been broken (and if the new engine has the new crank part number).

Thanks in advance! I'm going to try to find my ESN in the meantime...

·
733 Posts
FYI- the engine serial number is right on top near the EGR. It’s a white placard about 2 inches by 2 inches with a little Cummins logo on it. Also, the search field says you can search VIN as well. So, if you HAVE broken a crank, you MAY have a new new ESN. So searching the VIN might be more accurate. Just a thought, can’t confirm that.

I checked both of my XDs and they both are mid-2017s with the ‘revised crankshaft’. False sense of security? Who knows.

I’d LOVE to hear the guys who broke cranks and see if they had one or the other.

Good info on that post!

·
161 Posts
Ok so I searched by my VIN as I had it handy and while I have the old crank shaft. I thought I would try and figure out when they updated the crank. I went to cars.com and started inputting the vins for the trucks
that are for sale on that site. It seems like the Cummins app will only search by vin is for the 16’s they were the only ones that seem to work when searching by vin. If I get time I will pull my engine serial number and see if I get the same results.

My current mileage is 53500 and climbing daily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
81 Posts
I haven't broke a crankshaft but my truck only has 32k miles. March 2016 build date with the old part number, I've attached screenshots.

Attachments

·
633 Posts
When they replaced my long block, they said it was either the late model of 2018 or early 2019 and registered with my VIN. But when I put my VIN into the parts site on Cummins, it came out the ...40. I have not tried to get under the truck to get the ESN. Will try later.

·
733 Posts
When they replaced my long block, they said it was either the late model of 2018 or early 2019 and registered with my VIN. But when I put my VIN into the parts site on Cummins, it came out the ...40. I have not tried to get under the truck to get the ESN. Will try later.
i was waiting for you to chime in!

Just pop the hood- the number is right on top near the EGR.

·
633 Posts
i was waiting for you to chime in!

Just pop the hood- the number is right on top near the EGR.
Hmm... I wasn't able to get the ESN near EGR. But at the bottom of the engine, I found a set of 8 numbers stamped into the block, and I put that into Cummins Parts website, turned out to be the block serial number, which is 69120608, and my crank shaft is 3917320 , and the crank shaft assembly is 3918986 .

There is another plate, right under the passenger exhaust manifold, showing some number, but not ESN (tried it). And the date is 04/29/19

Reactions: bicepusmaximus

·
633 Posts
I believe that when they replaced my long block, that whole top piece was taken from the old one (my original). So that was why I did not trust that number.

Reactions: QuikCoastie17

·
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not sure how I missed that... my crankshaft is the newer version. Thank you for posting this.

Hmm... I wasn't able to get the ESN near EGR. But at the bottom of the engine, I found a set of 8 numbers stamped into the block, and I put that into Cummins Parts website, turned out to be the block serial number, which is 69120608, and my crank shaft is 3917320 , and the crank shaft assembly is 3918986 .

There is another plate, right under the passenger exhaust manifold, showing some number, but not ESN (tried it). And the date is 04/29/19 View attachment 44708

View attachment 44707
Thank you for doing this!

This is very strange... that ESN is from a 8.3 litre Cummins engine. That's why it's showing a completely different crankshaft part number.

Another thing you can do (if you care or have the time) is call Cummins customer service or their parts to get a price on an oil filter. They will likely ask for a VIN or an ESN. Wonder what they'll say about that ESN being in an Nissan...

·
633 Posts
Not sure how I missed that... my crankshaft is the newer version. Thank you for posting this.

Thank you for doing this!

This is very strange... that ESN is from a 8.3 litre Cummins engine. That's why it's showing a completely different crankshaft part number.

Another thing you can do (if you care or have the time) is call Cummins customer service or their parts to get a price on an oil filter. They will likely ask for a VIN or an ESN. Wonder what they'll say about that ESN being in an Nissan...
I have not gotten the time to call Cummins but I will.

·
633 Posts
So, I called Cummins and got this:
1. The ESN that is on the EGR is valid and is my original and dated back in June-July 2016.
2. The stamped number at the bottom of the block is meaningless.
3. All Titans with Cummins 5.0 have ESN starting with "8" (i.e. 8XXXXXXX)

I called Nissan dealer, where I had my long block replaced. I got this:
1. "It's not stamped with the serial number, just a part number"
2. My long block was produced in late 2018 (I hope it was)

Reactions: bicepusmaximus

·
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I’m sure you long block was produced not long before you had it installed. Thanks for checking.

Now I’d love to hear from more folks who had a broken crank.

·
Read Only
198 Posts
I still say mid late 16-17-18’s are affected. My reasoning the very early first 2016 builds probably were built with tight specifications with zero tolerance. The reason for mid 16-17 and 18‘s was simply due to low volume numbers with a bad batch of cranks sitting in a warehouse. Some causes by the harness issue where maybe manufacturing changed?

·
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I still say mid late 16-17-18’s are affected. My reasoning the very early first 2016 builds probably were built with tight specifications with zero tolerance. The reason for mid 16-17 and 18‘s was simply due to low volume numbers with a bad batch of cranks sitting in a warehouse. Some causes by the harness issue where maybe manufacturing changed?
This is exactly why facts are important. We can speculate on this many different ways. For example; when my 2016 XD was written off in early 2018, it was hard to find the exact truck I was looking for. I’d like to think Cummins paused engine production while figuring out what was happening with the cranks. We’ll never know.

Let’s see if any broken cranks have the new crank part number and then make a decision on what engines and years maybe impacted.

·
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks to those who have responded. And please direct folks to this thread to grow the data, especially folks with broken cranks. I'm going to update the original post every now and again to summarize the numbers.

·
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Only one response in this thread from someone with a broken crank. It was a 2016 with the old version of the crank. I’ve asked others in other threads to post in this thread...

1 - 20 of 83 Posts