Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
486 Posts
Only one response in this thread from someone with a broken crank. It was a 2016 with the old version of the crank. I’ve asked others in other threads to post in this thread...
You have to remember that a good chunk of the members on here made and account, complained ‘wah wah wah this truck is a piece of crap I’m selling it’, and never came back.

·
594 Posts
Only one response in this thread from someone with a broken crank. It was a 2016 with the old version of the crank. I’ve asked others in other threads to post in this thread...
Correction: It was a 2017. LOL

·
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Ok so make it easy for me and I’ll try to help. I’ve got a new long locks. What info can I provide?
Have a look at the Engine Serial Number on the Cummins placard on top of the engine (see below). It should be a number starting with 8.

Once you have the number, go to the Cummins parts site (click -> Genuine Cummins Parts) and enter that number in the search box there. It will then show the parts installed in your engine. You can then click on the "Base Engine" icon, then "Cylinder Block" icon, then look for the "Engine Crankshaft" part in the list - it will have the part number beside it. 4359940 is the old crankshaft. 5462513 is the revised crank they updated in mid-2017.

Hope this is easy. Thanks for responding!
DB280133-189D-4392-B822-71C02CB4ED0A.jpg

·
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Ok so for the engine number on the
Sticker shows the 5462513 as the crank p/n.
Interesting. Can you check one more important thing? When you enter the engine number in the Cummins database, you can click on the Engine Dataplate details (see below) to find the build date of your engine (my engine info is the second image below). Curious when your engine was built.

Thanks again for doing this. I would really like to know if the newer cranks are breaking too...

·
67 Posts
Shows the build date of 2018-02-23
I purchase this truck August 4 2018 and the crank broke October 22 2019 with almost 36,000 miles.

Got just over 40,000 on it now with the new long-block.

So what does that tell you?

·
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I started doing oil sample analysis through Cummins. You can order them online. It will hopefully indicate an issue before something breaks. Here's a copy of the last one I did. If more folks are doing the analysis, the more likely there will be a break with good documentation.

Assuming the revised crank didn't fix the underlying issue, I'd like to know if the issue is lubrication related - i.e., oil weight, change interval, and type of wear metals and contaminants seen in the oil. Who knows.

·
67 Posts
So to be clear that tag is for the original engine installed in this truck? They didn’t replace that tag when they installed the new long block?

That’s the way I am interpreting this without talking to my service rep. I do expect to see him soon for a service. Got any casual questions you’d like me to ask him? Seems like a pretty honest guy.

·
486 Posts
So to be clear that tag is for the original engine installed in this truck? They didn’t replace that tag when they installed the new long block?

That’s the way I am interpreting this without talking to my service rep. I do expect to see him soon for a service. Got any casual questions you’d like me to ask him? Seems like a pretty honest guy.
Ask him, in his opinion, why these cranks are breaking. Lol

·
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #36

They don't replace the EGR (where the placard is) when replacing the long block. The placard is your original one and the dates confirm that.

As far as the service rep goes; I would want to know why the crank broke (you may know this already, I don't know, but it's your possession and an expensive one at that - you have the right to know).

Here's how I believe it goes; if this was the first crank to break, Cummins would send a field rep out to investigate and very likely ship the engine back to Cummins for further analysis. After a few of these breaks, Cummins would be fairly aware of what the Nissan tech needs to look for qualify the problem. At that point, they likely scrap the engine altogether. They don't waste time and money shipping them back. The problem is neither the tech nor you are told what the underlying issue is - they only want answers to specific questions from the tech before approving the replacement. Start with asking the rep what Cummins (or Cummins via Nissan) needed to know before approving the replacement. What was noted on the paperwork on the warranty claim? You can always ask their opinion as to why this is happening, but that's all it is.

·
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I pull a sample ever oil change. About to do my 3rd. I change oil every 5K, cheap insurance.

Stay frosty
I love it! I'm not a big fan of crawling under the Titan to do the oil and the low pressure fuel filter change (especially don't like removing the skid plate...). So I buy my own oil and filters from Cummins, change the high pressure fuel filter myself, and take it into the dealer to do the rest. They even take a sample of the oil for me when it's draining. Very convenient and excellent documentation!

·
238 Posts
2016 Pro 4x , crank 4359940, engine build date 2016-03-16T00:00:00Z, truck build 4/16, current mileage 41500, original engine.
titanxd dataplate.JPG

·
872 Posts
They don't replace the EGR (where the placard is) when replacing the long block. The placard is your original one and the dates confirm that.

As far as the service rep goes; I would want to know why the crank broke (you may know this already, I don't know, but it's your possession and an expensive one at that - you have the right to know).

Here's how I believe it goes; if this was the first crank to break, Cummins would send a field rep out to investigate and very likely ship the engine back to Cummins for further analysis. After a few of these breaks, Cummins would be fairly aware of what the Nissan tech needs to look for qualify the problem. At that point, they likely scrap the engine altogether. They don't waste time and money shipping them back. The problem is neither the tech nor you are told what the underlying issue is - they only want answers to specific questions from the tech before approving the replacement. Start with asking the rep what Cummins (or Cummins via Nissan) needed to know before approving the replacement. What was noted on the paperwork on the warranty claim? You can always ask their opinion as to why this is happening, but that's all it is.
It is Nissan that approves the warranty on the engine. Once it is determined that there was a failure of the engine typically Nissan will ask the customer to provide records to indicate that regular oil changes were done and as long as they were the warranty is approved. In rare cases they may ask for more of an inspection before proceeding.

21 - 40 of 64 Posts