Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a pre owned '16 xd 5.0 to haul 7500 lb rv. Absolutely love this truck. Have taken multiple trips w/ rv, proper pre trips and soforth. Last trip went to Ozarks in Ar. Pulled GREAT, no problems at all. Got home, took trlr in for svc. All is well. Trlr fixed, on way back to house, truck just felt and sounded different. No dash warnings or lights. Paying attn to overall feel, and then.....dashboard Christmas tree! Lost pwr, truck died as I'm shouldering the whole rig. Threw a code for crankshaft position sensor. Towed in, changed sensor, No Joy. Diagnosis says busted crank. Read some other horror stories about this issue. Now scared to death that 5.0 not a good motor, and its not being made any more. Any thoughts?

·
304 Posts
Bought a pre owned '16 xd 5.0 to haul 7500 lb rv. Absolutely love this truck. Have taken multiple trips w/ rv, proper pre trips and soforth. Last trip went to Ozarks in Ar. Pulled GREAT, no problems at all. Got home, took trlr in for svc. All is well. Trlr fixed, on way back to house, truck just felt and sounded different. No dash warnings or lights. Paying attn to overall feel, and then.....dashboard Christmas tree! Lost pwr, truck died as I'm shouldering the whole rig. Threw a code for crankshaft position sensor. Towed in, changed sensor, No Joy. Diagnosis says busted crank. Read some other horror stories about this issue. Now scared to death that 5.0 not a good motor, and its not being made any more. Any thoughts?
Really sorry to hear that! There have been maybe a dozen? reports of broken crankshafts on the forum over the past couple years. Each new one makes me wince honestly. What is the mileage and build date on your truck? Are you still under the 5yr/60K powertrain warranty?

It doesn't seem confined to really early builds--or even 2016 models. Lots of thoughts in other threads on this if you want to search those out. Good luck on the repair.

·
Read Only
198 Posts
Really sorry to hear that! There have been maybe a dozen? reports of broken crankshafts on the forum over the past couple years. Each new one makes me wince honestly. What is the mileage and build date on your truck? Are you still under the 5yr/60K powertrain warranty?

It doesn't seem confined to really early builds--or even 2016 models. Lots of thoughts in other threads on this if you want to search those out. Good luck on the repair.
the real early 1/16, 2/16 builds have been holding up its the later part of 2016 and up. I agree though it’s not a good feeling. A dozen is also low, there’s been a dozen here is the last 6 months at least

·
125 Posts
Sorry to hear that. There are several threads here with people having the same issue. Very unfortunate that it happened, and I'm glad you were able to safely get off the road when it happened. On a side note, the Arkansas Ozarks are absolutely beautiful! As a kid we used to vacation there almost every year. Lived for three years in the Ouachita mountains near Hot Springs. Anyway, hope it's covered under warranty and you get back out on the road soon. Don't give up on the Titan. Aside from a few known issues, they really are great trucks.

·
28 Posts
Have you inspected the crank position wheel that is mounted onto the crankshaft snout behind the pulley? Long shot, but you may have just taken a rock to that plate and bent a few position teeth back. If they don’t send signal to the crank position sensor as they go by, you will get the same code and limp.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts