Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #1
This morning, while I was waiting for a loaner car while getting my xd worked on (just a few minor issues under warranty), I ran across someone that was just starting to do paperwork for a buy back today for his XD. He was bummed to say the least. SOME of his problems were the constant regens. he said that he drove mostly in town, owned a kitchen and bathroom remodeling company and had to make multiple stops during the day and was constantly in traffic. Couple of things he mentioned was that he couldn't even go through a drive through because it was gassing from regens so badly. he also mentioned that it was costing him 13K$$ to get this buyback. I really felt bad for the guy. he mentioned that he bought the first regular cab vehicle from this particular dealership and he obviously had the diesel engine. I asked him if he was on this website, he mentioned that he was just on the facebook page. he had gotten some info from someone that had a buyback in Cali.

He also had issues with his transmission shifting REALLY, REALLY HARD, some tailgate issues, and some other stuff! Does anyone else have a single cab XD that has any of these issues? I'd really like to hear some stories from some of the folks concerning buybacks and the issues they are having. At one point, there was a thread here for buyback VIN numbers.

Premium Member
This morning, while I was waiting for a loaner car while getting my xd worked on (just a few minor issues under warranty), I ran across someone that was just starting to do paperwork for a buy back today for his XD. He was bummed to say the least. SOME of his problems were the constant regens. he said that he drove mostly in town, owned a kitchen and bathroom remodeling company and had to make multiple stops during the day and was constantly in traffic. Couple of things he mentioned was that he couldn't even go through a drive through because it was gassing from regens so badly. he also mentioned that it was costing him 13K$$ to get this buyback. I really felt bad for the guy. he mentioned that he bought the first regular cab vehicle from this particular dealership and he obviously had the diesel engine. I asked him if he was on this website, he mentioned that he was just on the facebook page. he had gotten some info from someone that had a buyback in Cali.

He also had issues with his transmission shifting REALLY, REALLY HARD, some tailgate issues, and some other stuff! Does anyone else have a single cab XD that has any of these issues? I'd really like to hear some stories from some of the folks concerning buybacks and the issues they are having. At one point, there was a thread here for buyback VIN numbers.
Frank....I really don't mean to sound so cold hearted and calluous but we've got to stop catering to these folks who made poor purchase decisions.
Tier 4 engines have been in existence since 2010. All these guys griping about constant regens, poor fuel economy, excessive DEF consumption had to do was do a little (very little) research before they bought.
It's been widely known and stated by Cummins and other engine manufacturers that "this may not be for you" if you do not work and load up the engine....they even tell us in the Nissan owners manual in bold print. I gaurantee you these folks did not break their engine in according to Cummins and Nissan recommendations and that's a BIG DEAL for diesel longevity and performance. Always has been even before emmissions. Especially when it comes to fuel economy and power.
I don't mean to sound crass but 90% of these problems are self inflicted due to impulse shopping and not spending the time understanding if the application fits the need.
Nope...they just complain that the OEM ripped them off and the product sucked.
You know how many Jaguar and Cadillac buyers have felt that way in the past and no one feels sorry for them馃榿
I had similar issues as these guys are experincing today as a F250 guy when the 6.0 came out. I made the decision, I lived with it and worked around it, and I didn't blame Ford or International. I knew I was jumping into something new and understood the potential pitfalls based on the application at the time....which ended up not being as bad as made out to be.
The guy you met could have bought a DuraMax and under the same operating conditions the truck would have performed exactly the same so I don't understand the sympathy aspect馃榾.
You have to fall and make poor choices before you learn to get it right. If we sympathize with them they will feel like a victim vice someone who should have done their homework and understood why they were buying what they were buying.
Sorry for the rant馃榾

When shopping I really wanted the Cummins. But, after researching, talking with co workers with diesels that do the same work I do and talking with a Cummins rep I decided a deisel was not for me.

I work in construction, I am a construction manager for a larger production builder, I drive short trips several times a day. Many start ups and some idle time. The regens would kill me and my MPG would be about the same as the my gasser or worse.

Guys I work with several guys that have diesels including the Ram eco deisel. They have guzzle DEF and get crappy MPG at work.

The hard shifting, Well that is how that transmission is designed. The Poor Nissan techs don鈥檛 know this. All they had to do is call over the Ram dealer service manager.

Premium Member
When shopping I really wanted the Cummins. But, after researching, talking with co workers with diesels that do the same work I do and talking with a Cummins rep I decided a deisel was not for me.

I work in construction, I am a construction manager for a larger production builder, I drive short trips several times a day. Many start ups and some idle time. The regens would kill me and my MPG would be about the same as the my gasser or worse.

Guys I work with several guys that have diesels including the Ram eco deisel. They have guzzle DEF and get crappy MPG at work.

The hard shifting, Well that is how that transmission is designed. The Poor Nissan techs don鈥檛 know this. All they had to do is call over the Ram dealer service manager.
Shane I can't say anything but you are probably the smartest person I've met in recent memory. Yes, the hard (really it's not; just pronounced) shifting is normal for what really is a medium duty transmission.
Problem is the complainers don't even understand automatic transmissions. A "hard" or pronounced shift is ten times better on your clutch packs and transmission overall than a "soft" shift.
The softer the shift the longer and more constant friction you have on clutches thus resulting in premature failures and excessive wear.
If folks spent more time researching (like you did)and understanding the mechancial side first and quit immediately blaming programming and computers the world would be a better place馃榿馃榿馃榿 .....

Being choked out by regeneration fumes is not dreamed up. Stepping on the pedal and sitting in a 55MPH lane is not acceptable. They bought them back without a fight for a reason.

Shane I can't say anything but you are probably the smartest person I've met in recent memory. Yes, the hard (really it's not; just pronounced) shifting is normal for what really is a medium duty transmission.
Problem is the complainers don't even understand automatic transmissions. A "hard" or pronounced shift is ten times better on your clutch packs and transmission overall than a "soft" shift.
The softer the shift the longer and more constant friction you have on clutches thus resulting in premature failures and excessive wear.
If folks spent more time researching (like you did)and understanding the mechancial side first and quit immediately blaming programming and computers the world would be a better place馃榿馃榿馃榿 .....
I had an idea what i was getting into when i gotmy truck and my salesman was very knowledgeable about the truck too. Since ive purchased my truck ive talked to a few salesman that were just that. They had no idea about the truck. They didnt even know it required def!!
Nissan doesn鈥檛 advertise the diesel as 鈥渙nly if you need to work the engine hard鈥. Just as an option

A lot of guys on here want a smooth shifting tranny but i slso realize that a firm shift is better for longevity and i like my firm shifts. But some shifting problems guys have incude the transmission jumping through a cpl gears,crashing noises and 鈥渧iolent鈥 鈥渏erking and bucking鈥. Thats not normal or firm.

I feel bad for anyone that depends on their vehicle for work and it spends time in the shop for electrical issues,mechanical issues and stupid tailgates that wont open when you need access to the truck bed. It took me a while to figure out the proper sequence to open mine but i can do it every time now. I had it fixed but now its 鈥渂roken 鈥 again.

For some time in the shop means money lost because you cant throw a ton box in the back of a rogue or tow a dump trailer with one either.

Some guys want the truck to act like a car and pull like a truck i get that and those people made a poor choice.
Some people bought the truck for work and to use and some of those people have real problems with the truck.
For the cost of the truck they should work and at the very LEAST,nissan should try to put a bit more emphasis on fixing real problems.

I love my truck. Ive had great luck with it so far and i bought it march 2017. I drive super short trips and regen constantly resulting in poor fuel economy but it is a big heavy truck, not a rogue and i can use it it for work,like i planned. 馃槈

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #7
He was using his truck for work, in the first six months of ownership, it was in the shop twenty seven days (by his words). he used the truck for work and depended on it for his livelihood.. As a small business owner, a 13k loss means a lot to his bottom line. Regens ARE a problem and sometimes I feel that the truck regens just because and far too many times when you are city driving. BUT, that being said, I heard you can eliminate them by deleting and making a real city truck out of it. My truck is back in the shop for AC issues. Possibly, if the dealership had someone that was a REAL mechanic, they could figure out what the issues are. I brought the TSB with me concerning the AC issue. he had no idea it was out there.

Nissan's problem is that they do not, in my opinion, have qualified Diesel mechanics. The ONLY person allowed to work on the truck is their qualified diesel person when a body man can fix the third brakelight, address the issue with the tailgate, etc. This vehicle is still new to Nissan and if Nissan decides to stop selling this because of the market, the dealerships will have put out lots of bucks for equipment, etc that they will not be able to utilize any longer.

I bought my truck to haul my travel trailer (I bought the truck AFTER I purchased the TT). it was miles cheaper than one of the big three and the dealership was in a "dealing" mood. I don't regret it one bit. It shifts hard but I can appreciate that when I'm towing, it shifts properly. This is my first truck but probably not my last, We have eyes on a larger RV for possible Full Timing. It will require a dualie. If Nissan comes out with one (unlikely) I would probably buy it.

I can appreciate your point of view. Still, I have heard LOTS of folks on here lament their purchasing decision. I feel Nissan is working on it and will eventually get it right if they keep the product.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #8
One more thing... After my first service at the dealership where I purchased the vehicle, I get these calls and emails concerning how their service was. I filled one out, did not give a STELLAR review but these reviews directly affect their satisfaction rating and the rating of the service writer (Have you ever had a chance to look at what the service writer actually wrote about your issue? It's like.. what the HEII?. I got a call from the sales manager and he actually had the balls to tell me that I was unfair in my review. He would have been really mad at me if I really posted what I thought. I was a mechanic (construction, and Auto (FORD)) for over ten years, I also worked in a job that had interaction with all levels of people. IF I would have done that, I would not have been around that place long... Since then, I have NOT reviewed them.

Well I am not gona beat on the mechanic's at the service. They get squeezed from both ends, but yes Nissan could do a better job especially for the 2016 owners who agreed to be their lab rats.
That said I really am enjoying this truck despite some quirks and hiccups, but mine have been minor. It you have a problem child, regardless of brand, dump it, U pored $$$ over 14 years and 300k fixing my 2000 ram with the 5.9 always a Chrysler electrical gremlin that started at 95k.

I was a long time Nissan customer. I owned an Armada, two Altimas, and my wife owned two Maximas. So when it was time to look for a truck Nissan was already on my short list. At the time I was only planning on towing the boat (5,500 lbs fully loaded), so I knew I could get by with a gasser, but always wanted a diesel. I didn't know a lot about them other than they had lots of torque, were reliable, and got great mileage (I lived in Italy for 10 years, and diesel cars were very common in Europe).

I didn't fully appreciate what I was getting myself into with a diesel, but knew that Cummins never made a bad engine, and they were very popular on large boats (at the time we were considering purchasing a used 45'+ trawler and going full time liveaboard).

So the combination of Nissan and Cummins made a lot of sense, and as somebody said, the dealer was in a real good mood to discount, so I bought it. I didn't know about regens, or DEF, but I did know that diesels need to be worked hard.

In my case I guess I got lucky, as I later went on to get a travel trailer that maxes out the Titan.

I have not had any problems with the truck (other than the turbo recall - which I still wasn't having a problem with) and as you know from my other posts I've been delighted with it.

Would I do it again, knowing what I know today? Most likely yes, but the second time around I'd look a little closer at payload numbers, as I didn't know how important they were. I got extremely lucky with this truck and my travel trailer being such a close match. That was totally accidental - but better to be lucky than good!

Hello everyone,
First off let me start by saying I love my truck 5.0L 4X4 sv. It's my first new truck purchase, although I have owned other used trucks and purchased new car before.

Now to my issue which partially involves my local dealership making mistakes, and what I believe to possibly be a lemon. My truck currently has 13,900 miles and has been on the dealership for warranty repair a total of 5 times, and 23 days since purchase.
Without going into depth on the issues they have ranged for the dealer not torqueing my lungs nuts leading to wheels almost falling off and hub and wheel bearing issues. Other issues include replacement of the ecm and fuel filters becoming clogged to frequently ( approxamently 5k miles after each replacement. Lastly my truck is currently in the shop for check engine light and reduced power message, which dealership claims is due to coolant leak. But, I'm sure some can see why I would be hesatnent to believe the diagnoses as accurate.

Ultamently I dont want a buy back, I just want a safe a dependable replacement as this is why I bought a new truck.

Does anyone have any experience with lemons and the process in general? I would appreciate any input or advice.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #12
Chad, lemon laws differ from state to state. Check here...

https://www.dmv.org/automotive-law/lemon-law.php

You also need to have a recurring issue that has been attempted to be fixed multiple times and when the dealer fails to repair it, then, as I understand it, you can invoke the lemon law. Good luck. By the way, I believe I would be hunting for another dealer somewhere.

I have a regen issue (among other issues). Started some time ago, has gotten worse, and the local dealership has changed the DPF, an injector, the catalyst, the ECU, and the problem is getting worse. Last time it did a regen (first after the DPF change), the harsh diesel smell was unlike anything I have experienced, and made my eyes water while it also triggered a migraine. Dealership doesn't really care. Nissan Canada cares less, and cares exactly not at all over other issues regarding the XD (local dealership can not even get an air filter, long waits for parts, no access to timely tech support, and technicians that have never changes an injector before).

I see previous comments that people should do their research... anyone that knows me, knows that I buy a new truck a LOT like planning a mission to Mars. I read everything out there on the new Cummins, the truck components, I read reviews, and everything was stellar for the then-brand-new 2016 Titan XD. I spoke with the techs at the Cummins shop 2 hours away. I had someone who fixes heavy trucks for a living take a look at the XD before I bought it. I have roughly a million km on diesel trucks with comparable power plants. I was several months into owning it before some of the issues become more widely known... so, I guess I own some responsibility in terms of being an early adopter; having said that, Nissan claimed that they could support the truck, and when my first oil change was up, they did not have a technician trained on the XD yet, and could not even find the proper oil. Parts like the DPF they replaced took weeks to come in, back ordered. A month ago, I could not find an air filter for my XD in Canada, and had to drive across the border to get one. Is that on me? Because Nissan is incapable of providing parts or support, should I swallow (in my case) a $26,000 loss because they have no ability to repair their product that is still under warranty?

Premium Member
I have a regen issue (among other issues). Started some time ago, has gotten worse, and the local dealership has changed the DPF, an injector, the catalyst, the ECU, and the problem is getting worse. Last time it did a regen (first after the DPF change), the harsh diesel smell was unlike anything I have experienced, and made my eyes water while it also triggered a migraine. Dealership doesn't really care. Nissan Canada cares less, and cares exactly not at all over other issues regarding the XD (local dealership can not even get an air filter, long waits for parts, no access to timely tech support, and technicians that have never changes an injector before).

I see previous comments that people should do their research... anyone that knows me, knows that I buy a new truck a LOT like planning a mission to Mars. I read everything out there on the new Cummins, the truck components, I read reviews, and everything was stellar for the then-brand-new 2016 Titan XD. I spoke with the techs at the Cummins shop 2 hours away. I had someone who fixes heavy trucks for a living take a look at the XD before I bought it. I have roughly a million km on diesel trucks with comparable power plants. I was several months into owning it before some of the issues become more widely known... so, I guess I own some responsibility in terms of being an early adopter; having said that, Nissan claimed that they could support the truck, and when my first oil change was up, they did not have a technician trained on the XD yet, and could not even find the proper oil. Parts like the DPF they replaced took weeks to come in, back ordered. A month ago, I could not find an air filter for my XD in Canada, and had to drive across the border to get one. Is that on me? Because Nissan is incapable of providing parts or support, should I swallow (in my case) a $26,000 loss because they have no ability to repair their product that is still under warranty?
I get all my genuine OEM filters from Amazon in less than two days.
And you are right, dealer techs were not ready for a Cummins diesel.
Just like, research shows, Dodge techs were never ready for the 5.9 and Ford techs were never ready for the 6.9/7.3/ and 6.0.
Research shows us thru the last thirty years that light truck, car, and SUV dealerships have never been ready for a new diesel engine line.
Think that might be more the fault of the independently owned dealerships and laws that require dealerships vice OEM direct sales than the OEM.
Most OEMs, if they could bypass protection laws would not even use "dealerships" which is a scam in and of itself. A few bad dealerships don't make a bad OEM.
Also, has your Cummins friend 2 hours down the road not been able to help?

Premium Member
Hello everyone,
First off let me start by saying I love my truck 5.0L 4X4 sv. It's my first new truck purchase, although I have owned other used trucks and purchased new car before.

Now to my issue which partially involves my local dealership making mistakes, and what I believe to possibly be a lemon. My truck currently has 13,900 miles and has been on the dealership for warranty repair a total of 5 times, and 23 days since purchase.
Without going into depth on the issues they have ranged for the dealer not torqueing my lungs nuts leading to wheels almost falling off and hub and wheel bearing issues. Other issues include replacement of the ecm and fuel filters becoming clogged to frequently ( approxamently 5k miles after each replacement. Lastly my truck is currently in the shop for check engine light and reduced power message, which dealership claims is due to coolant leak. But, I'm sure some can see why I would be hesatnent to believe the diagnoses as accurate.

Ultamently I dont want a buy back, I just want a safe a dependable replacement as this is why I bought a new truck.

Does anyone have any experience with lemons and the process in general? I would appreciate any input or advice.
Trade the truck for a Kia and move on. If you think Nissan and the techs are responsible for "fuel filters becoming clogged" you are obviously not open to sound discussion and looking to get out of the truck. Just being practical.

Arice,

I think maybe you misunderstood what I was trying to say.

The point I was making on the fuel filters is that clogged fuel filters will not prevent a diesel engine from starting. Furthermore, an engine that runs fine on the way to the store, is parked and shut down, then while attempting to start only turns over is not a symptom of clogged fuel filters.

The problem I was experiencing with that vehicle (which I no longer own, because the dealership bought it back and put me in a new titan xd) is very similar to what many others on this forum experience, which is a lack of professional expertise at the dealership level when referring to diesels.

Premium Member
Arice,

I think maybe you misunderstood what I was trying to say.

The point I was making on the fuel filters is that clogged fuel filters will not prevent a diesel engine from starting. Furthermore, an engine that runs fine on the way to the store, is parked and shut down, then while attempting to start only turns over is not a symptom of clogged fuel filters.

The problem I was experiencing with that vehicle (which I no longer own, because the dealership bought it back and put me in a new titan xd) is very similar to what many others on this forum experience, which is a lack of professional expertise at the dealership level when referring to diesels.
Understood. I have to make a few points though:
1. Yes. Clogged fuel filters can prevent a diesel from starting. Obviously, well maybe not to some and I'm not being facetious, the problem would start with an exented crank, possible rough idle, then leading to surging and stalling conditions. If the filters were not identified as the culprit, yes it could lead to abrupt shutdown.
2. To the comment "an engine runs fine on the way to the store and then won't start" not being a potential fuel filter issue is not accurate. This could very well happen and has happened in a ton of circumstances. Engine starts and runs fine, creates a load for a short period of time, and all the contamination, debris, parrafin deposits, and "sludge" from the dirty fuel filters are pulled into the fuel system thus creating restriction and loss of fuel pressure and contaminating the fuel system.
With all of the technology today, which everyone leans to as a the first "problem" when something goes wrong, a diesel engine is still a diesel engine.
It needs:
1. Clean air and positive airflow
2. Clean fuel with a sound sealed system.
3. Clean oil with good oil pressure.
4. Good batteries.

Most of the problems, even today, start with the above not being maintained properly. When something goes wrong nobody starts with the "basics". They immediately go to ECM Programming or emmisions, or simply blaming anything other than their basic lack of knowledge of how diesels are to be maintained and operated.
I see more time spent on "badges", lift kits, and tires than I do on "proper engine break in, proper maintenance, and basic understanding and troubleshooting of diesel engines. Shouldn't that be any owners first responsibility to themselves and their vehicle?

I changed my own filters at 10K and they were barely smudged. As others have said, use a gas station that gets a lot of diesel traffic. Don't use a station where the diesel sits for weeks.

Chad, lemon laws differ from state to state. Check here...

https://www.dmv.org/automotive-law/lemon-law.php

You also need to have a recurring issue that has been attempted to be fixed multiple times and when the dealer fails to repair it, then, as I understand it, you can invoke the lemon law. Good luck. By the way, I believe I would be hunting for another dealer somewhere.
well my dealership skirted that one - in Colorado the vehicle needs to be in 4 times or more than ~10 days out of service.
They declared that my issues are not reparable and that 2 regens a tank and 12 mpg is not a problem. I think after driving hard for 30 miles at 65 mph should not need a regen after sitting in minor traffic sitting at a light.
Just saying - love the truck, hate the truck and I tell as many people as i can to stay away from Nissan, The CEO is a crook and their tech is the worst. I have a 2010 Honda with a better nav and bluetooth system and I can see the gauges in my Honda - the gear lever blocks out half of my radio/nav buttons when driving.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts