Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own one of the 2017 XD Diesel trucks it's a lagging piece of junk been in the shop several times when they get around to setting the appointment if you take it to the shop over the mileage they will flash your computer and your mileage will get worse for about 5000 miles they have flashed mine twice at 8500 miles was getting a whopping 13 miles per gallon they flashed it went back to 9.2. Left front cv boots inner and outer had to be replaced,axle seal replaced, right rear tire separated from sidewall driving down the interstate at 75mph dealer did not bother to take care of it left it up to me, windshield wipers work whenever they feel like it been in 4 times over that been in 3 times over fuel mileage and def usage take to shop over 2 issues come back with even more issues then when it went in. The left front windshield molding is coming out the grease that the axle seal through every where is still on the vehicle thought it was still leaking not the dealer did not bother to clean it you call Nissan Consumer affairs over it which i know there number by heart just says well its up to the dealer nothing we can do then why are you called consumer affairs? The truck is worth about 20,000.00 less then what you paid for it and consumer affairs answer is well the dealers set there own price. You call to make an appointment 3 weeks later they may call you and get in the shop of course 99% of the time could not duplicate the problem nissan says every dealership has to have a diesel mechanic no they do not my dealer has one between 3 locations and only comes to certain locations when they have "enough" to bring him in so DO NOT BUY DO NOT BUY

·
273 Posts
I own one of the 2017 XD Diesel trucks it's a lagging piece of junk been in the shop several times when they get around to setting the appointment if you take it to the shop over the mileage they will flash your computer and your mileage will get worse for about 5000 miles they have flashed mine twice at 8500 miles was getting a whopping 13 miles per gallon they flashed it went back to 9.2. Left front cv boots inner and outer had to be replaced,axle seal replaced, right rear tire separated from sidewall driving down the interstate at 75mph dealer did not bother to take care of it left it up to me, windshield wipers work whenever they feel like it been in 4 times over that been in 3 times over fuel mileage and def usage take to shop over 2 issues come back with even more issues then when it went in. The left front windshield molding is coming out the grease that the axle seal through every where is still on the vehicle thought it was still leaking not the dealer did not bother to clean it you call Nissan Consumer affairs over it which i know there number by heart just says well its up to the dealer nothing we can do then why are you called consumer affairs? The truck is worth about 20,000.00 less then what you paid for it and consumer affairs answer is well the dealers set there own price. You call to make an appointment 3 weeks later they may call you and get in the shop of course 99% of the time could not duplicate the problem nissan says every dealership has to have a diesel mechanic no they do not my dealer has one between 3 locations and only comes to certain locations when they have "enough" to bring him in so DO NOT BUY DO NOT BUY
Sounds like a bad dealer. Is your truck stock? (No lift)

·
75 Posts
Sounds like you have a bad dealer way more than a bad truck.

When you say mileage gets worse, how are you monitoring it, and what are you comparing? Miles per tank? MPG on trips?

Is this your first diesel truck?

·
61 Posts
I had a sierra like that.......got enough and traded it off.

·
141 Posts
Should have bought a truck from a manufacturer that doesn’t experience any issues. Oh, wait a minute...

Reactions: NavFlyer

·
47 Posts
If tundra had a Cummins I’d be owning it right now. But the Nissan has been good to me

Reactions: sekuehl

·
171 Posts
Yes, totally a bad deal as far as service is concerned. These days, most people should research the dealership as much as they do the vehicle. Although your experience may be less than you expected, most here seem to be content. Perhaps you got a dud, or your dealer isn't equipped/prepared to handle your complaint.

As far as the Nissan Customer Relations, I have had an awesome experience with them. I had a problem that the service center would not accept without proof of failure. My tailgate would not unlatch, but worked always when I was at the dealer. After calling Nissan, they contacted the Dealership, explained what the problem was, had me drop my truck off to order parts and called me everyday to update me on their progress. My point is that nice words go a LONG way. Their service can be challenging and persistence is required.

·
226 Posts
So a few years back I bought a new Toyota 4Runner. It had been Consumer Reports "most reliable vehicle" for like 5 years in a row. After three weeks it starts up shifting and down shifting for no reason. Dealer replace the $1,000 brain and the next day the same thing. In and out of the shop another three times, ends up being a temp sensor that failed and would tell the engine it was cold, hot, cold. Shifts out of overdrive when cold. The A/C quits working, they recharge it and check for leaks, none found. At about 25,000 miles A/C quits again. I pay to have it recharged.
Then 10 miles down a smooth dirt road the back window rolls itself down, dirt boiling in. I can hear it clicking, still trying to go down. I try to pull the fuse it it's on a circuit with a bunch of other stuff. It's Just out of warranty. Dealer says its a wire harness and replaces it, still doesn't work so they replace another harness. Call me and want to replace a third harness. I call Toyota of America and explain to them that I'm not paying for their mechanic to go to school on my truck. they agree to pay for the harnesses and I pay the labor.
I get a recall on the A/C issue. Apparently there is a high pressure release valve that is failing that lets all the Freon escape. They refund the money I spent the second time the A/C went out. I take it in for the A/c recall and mention that I hear what sounds like an exhaust leak on the V6. "Oh that's a cracked exhaust manifold, we'll replace both of them". I say "hold on a minute". "We'll do it for free, its a silent recall".
I'm driving up Hwy 395 in CA heading to lake Tahoe. The Fan explodes taking out the airbox, and fan shroud with it, and dents the hood from the underside.
After three and a half years and 75,000 miles I sell the POS. Bought a new Chevy 1500. Drove it 160,000 miles, only replaced one alternator, brakes, battery, and wipers.
They all have problem vehicles. The Tundra has had poor brakes for years. I sold my Tacoma 4x4 to buy the Titan. The Tacoma was great, and my Titan XD 5.0 Pro4X has been great for it's 38,000 miles. Sometimes you just get a bad one. Doesn't mean they are all that way.

·
141 Posts
Sometimes you just get a bad one. Doesn't mean they are all that way.
Exactly; some seem to completely overlook that. Someone has to draw the short straw sometimes, and one day it might be you.

·
67 Posts
Trust me when I say these conversations are the same over at other make forums. Couple guys getting a lemon “sorry” and telling everyone don’t buy it’s horrible. It’s a bummer it happens but the squeaky lemon wheel rises to the top of the forum pot. I too got a lemon, it was a ford now I have a Nissan. The work truck I drive is a ford and it’s been perfect for 98k. It’s a crap shoot

But I will say this Nissan forum is much nicer to people then the last forum I was on. Cheers to the nice people

·
14 Posts
I have almost 70,000 miles on my Cummins XD. The truck started off great. This is the only brand new vehicle I have ever owned. I work for an evil oil company (lol) and travel all the time for work. I have a rather large travel trailer I stay in so towing was a need when considering a new vehicle. I do have a lift installed. This is the FIFTH time my truck is going back for the same front driver side axle boot that keeps coming off. I just got it back last Saturday night. Check it Sunday morning at 10 AM and it's already off, or so I thought. It looks to be that when the mechanic is tightening the band that secures the boot to the shaft, he/she isn't doing so in a retaining groove further up the shaft. I can see a "dirt line" and where it was wet from the grease where the boot originally started. I have had ZERO problems out of my passenger side. Over the past 15,000 miles I randomly get the dreaded "engine power reduced" warning with a check engine light and let me tell you how much fun it was towing across the ENTIRE state of Oklahoma at 50 mph. It will randomly do this but when towing, it stays in limp mode until it goes to the dealership. They keep telling me it's the air filter. I just had it happen to me 4 days after a new one was installed. They tell me my DEF level is low. DEF level is fine per the computer. Nissan Consumer Affairs has extended my engine and drive train warranty because of this but won't buy it back. The dealership I go to have great service managers and good people there. They didn't build it, just having a hard time keeping it going and it's not their fault. I LOVE this truck. It's got every option I want with amazing ride quality. Has anyone had the random shaft boot and depowering happening to them?

·
614 Posts
I have almost 70,000 miles on my Cummins XD. The truck started off great. This is the only brand new vehicle I have ever owned. I work for an evil oil company (lol) and travel all the time for work. I have a rather large travel trailer I stay in so towing was a need when considering a new vehicle. I do have a lift installed. This is the FIFTH time my truck is going back for the same front driver side axle boot that keeps coming off. I just got it back last Saturday night. Check it Sunday morning at 10 AM and it's already off, or so I thought. It looks to be that when the mechanic is tightening the band that secures the boot to the shaft, he/she isn't doing so in a retaining groove further up the shaft. I can see a "dirt line" and where it was wet from the grease where the boot originally started. I have had ZERO problems out of my passenger side. Over the past 15,000 miles I randomly get the dreaded "engine power reduced" warning with a check engine light and let me tell you how much fun it was towing across the ENTIRE state of Oklahoma at 50 mph. It will randomly do this but when towing, it stays in limp mode until it goes to the dealership. They keep telling me it's the air filter. I just had it happen to me 4 days after a new one was installed. They tell me my DEF level is low. DEF level is fine per the computer. Nissan Consumer Affairs has extended my engine and drive train warranty because of this but won't buy it back. The dealership I go to have great service managers and good people there. They didn't build it, just having a hard time keeping it going and it's not their fault. I LOVE this truck. It's got every option I want with amazing ride quality. Has anyone had the random shaft boot and depowering happening to them?
I have the 2” Rough Country lift no problems with the boots. 1 buddy of mine has a 2013 Ram other has a 2017 F350 both have had the reduced power. So far I’ve been lucky not to.

·
895 Posts
OP made a valid statement due to experience, and others still in love with their XD trying to shmooze it over is ridiculous if not pathetic. As they say, "it is what it is", and the OP isn't lying. Others before him (OP) saying same and worse are now gone from this forum and not looking back. Lol, Geeze people, get a grip!

·
Premium Member
1,160 Posts
OP made a valid statement due to experience, and others still in love with their XD trying to shmooze it over is ridiculous if not pathetic. As they say, "it is what it is", and the OP isn't lying. Others before him (OP) saying same and worse are now gone from this forum and not looking back. Lol, Geeze people, get a grip!
OP?

I have had my share of JUNK vehicles over the years, most of which were FORD CARS. I can probably guess that there are lemons for each manufacturer but I don't think there are too many that try to invoke the lemon law on their vehicle. What reason would they have to lie about what they hate about their vehicle? As you say, it is what it is. I bought this truck because it has a good engine and a reliable transmission for what I am going to do with it. Eventually, I will need to trade it for something that will haul a larger RV which means I will need to investigate the big three for my next vehicle, which I really don't want to do but will have little choice. My dad used to work for GM and he had lots of stories about the guys (and gals) putting together cars at the (final) assembly plants. They hated their jobs sometimes and it would show in the quality of the product they put out. For a long time, I believed "foreign" cars were better built than the american counterparts then they moved production to the US. So far (knock on wood) my titan has been great. the dealership, not so much, but I tend to be a little more forceful with them and I sometimes get my way. I have a mechanical background and know when the service writer is trying to feed me a line or not. Usually I speak directly to the mechanic (in a nicer tone) and attempt to discuss why this is happening. I usually get the TRUE story rather than the service writer's bull that he makes up to try to sound knowledgeable.

·
317 Posts

O.K. I get what you are saying, but I wonder where the OP is at with updates and comments? Has 1 post and has not come back.

·
Premium Member
1,094 Posts
OP?

I have had my share of JUNK vehicles over the years, most of which were FORD CARS. I can probably guess that there are lemons for each manufacturer but I don't think there are too many that try to invoke the lemon law on their vehicle. What reason would they have to lie about what they hate about their vehicle? As you say, it is what it is. I bought this truck because it has a good engine and a reliable transmission for what I am going to do with it. Eventually, I will need to trade it for something that will haul a larger RV which means I will need to investigate the big three for my next vehicle, which I really don't want to do but will have little choice. My dad used to work for GM and he had lots of stories about the guys (and gals) putting together cars at the (final) assembly plants. They hated their jobs sometimes and it would show in the quality of the product they put out. For a long time, I believed "foreign" cars were better built than the american counterparts then they moved production to the US. So far (knock on wood) my titan has been great. the dealership, not so much, but I tend to be a little more forceful with them and I sometimes get my way. I have a mechanical background and know when the service writer is trying to feed me a line or not. Usually I speak directly to the mechanic (in a nicer tone) and attempt to discuss why this is happening. I usually get the TRUE story rather than the service writer's bull that he makes up to try to sound knowledgeable.
When you move up Frank in RVs don't think Big 3 think Freightliner M Class Custom Hauler. For the money you spend on a DRW Big 3 you can almost be in custom medium duty hauler that will really last 500k. As soon as I fully retire that's the direction I'm headed.
To the others posts about the XD....well, I invite anyone to come to Belton, Texas and look at mine and drive mine. 2017 XD Diesel with over 35k that has towed my TT half of that and has never been in the dealership once...not once and I'm not "overlooking" problems or schmoozing Nissan.
Most of the problems are self inflicted. I guarantee everyone that not one of the owners complaining broke their engine in correctly....and IAW Cummins and Nissan break in guidnace...the problems start from there. Couple that with alot of these owners are more interested in first learning about and installing toys and accessories than first learning how to properly break in, operate, and maintain their trucks and diesel engine the problems get worse....
The XD is fine....the problem lies with impulse and uneducated buyers and poor dealer training and understanding of the platform....the dealers and techs will get better much like Dodge had to do in the 90s when the 12 valve hit the market.... unfortunately, the customer base won't
Everyone today uses their phones to research every **** product they want to buy and to find the best price....what's different about the XD purchase?
Can't blame the sales person when we all know sales folks don't know jack today about any product they are selling. That's not a new phenomena...

·
Premium Member
1,094 Posts
How much do you want for your XD? What exact model and mileage and location? I'm sure you want to get out of it quickly so I'd like to talk buying you out.

·
Premium Member
1,160 Posts
How much do you want for your XD? What exact model and mileage and location? I'm sure you want to get out of it quickly so I'd like to talk buying you out.
Doesn't look like she has been back since she first posted this thread.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts