Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!
I'm planning on buying a new truck in the next 3 months or so and I would like to get some input from you guys. I currently own a Titan '06 LE fully loaded with only 82k miles but it's time for a new truck. I live in S. California and I would want to get a diesel truck now (I don't really need diesel, just feel like one). I tow from time to time but nothing big. I narrowed down to 3 options (one gas), let me know what you all think:
1) GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD. Pros: Duramax reputation, great looking truck, tons of accessories & mods available.
Cons: lack of storage sections, still missing a few new technology updates, no rear a/c vents for the family
2) Titan XD. Pros: Cummins engine, tons of cameras make it easy for wife to drive & park, great storage bins, Titan owner (love my no problems Titan)
Cons: new design truck and not so appealing, no sunroof (deal breaker for S. Cal), odd looking front.
3) F-150 Platinum or Limited (Gas). Pros: the most luxury truck with every amenity, panoramic sunroof, gasoline (cheaper maintenance), small for So Cal traffic. Light and fast.
Cons: Bad in mpg (according to reviews), very pricey (could reach $65k), not so fan of Ford brand/quality.

Attachments

·
38 Posts
Don't think that sunroofs are available at all I know there not in Texas. I treaded my 95 F-150 in for my first Titan had that one for 2 years than a 2006 for 10 years and now my XD and I have to say that the XD is one fine truck so if you want my vote go with the XD.

·
1,979 Posts
If you don't need a Diesel or are not going to utilize it, don't buy one. It's not worth the Extra money & potential hassles just so you can say you own a diesel, especially In CA. If you like the XD body style & want to stay with Nissan get a Gasser XD, they are starting to hit the lots so the inventories are going to rise. In a few more months there should be Incentives. Or you could wait longer and get the 2017 Titan. You'd definitely be better off with a 1/2 ton setup, not a 3/4 ton.

·
348 Posts
Engine choice should be based on needs more than wants, diesel verses gas. I really wanted a diesel until I put it all on paper. My driving needs, towing loads and how often I tow, coupled with extra purchase price and maintenance steered me towards the gas XD. I don't know about CA, but here in FL diesel is averaging 10 to 20% more than gas at the pumps, another deciding factor.
I love my XD. Still own my 04 Titan, kept it for a beater truck.

·
1,300 Posts
Well if you want a diesel than buy one lol.
I love my Titan XD I think it's the best truck I have driven in years. Yes it is missing a couple things like power fold mirrors and a sun roof but oh well for me it's not the end of the world. Also how many times do you really need to fold the mirrors? I can walk around the truck and move them if need be.

I don't like Fords at all I think the new trucks are just junk. There quality is bad and rattle like nobody's business. Yes they have a ton of inovated features and gimicks but in a year or two they will not work. Just like the wife's parents stupid escape with the foot kicking tail gate that won't work.

Chevs are OK but again quality issues, rattle alot, and really there built cheap, just like ford and ram.
I love the new Comercial they are playing in canada " we have noise canceling speakers in our trucks." Or they could actually build the truck better with tight fitting seals and good insalation and better glass, but that would cost too much in the long run.

Reactions: TitanCowboy

·
430 Posts
Actually, power folding and extending mirrors are awesome. To be able to make your truck 1 1/2ft narrower in about 10 seconds is way better than holding up traffic to get out and fold in mirrors. Also, it's good for parking. I use this feature all the time. As far as rattling, I've had 2 fords in the last 10 years and neither rattled as much as my 05 Titan, once it got up in age. (Which wasn't that big a deal) And there are XD's with rattles and wind noise already.

As far as needing a diesel or not, it boils down to if you want to deal with the headache of extra maintenance, costly potential problems that could have your truck in the shop for weeks at a time, adjusted driving habits, etc. Another thing to think about, especially on a first year vehicle is parts availability. Even as long in the tooth as the 1st gen Titan is, nobody keeps parts for them. I've had to wait 4 days for common suspension bolts or exhaust flange gaskets from the dealer, after the Titan had been out for at least 10 years. That's kind of a pain.

·
16 Posts
"Chevs are OK but again quality issues, rattle alot, and really there built cheap, just like ford and ram.
I love the new Comercial they are playing in canada " we have noise canceling speakers in our trucks." Or they could actually build the truck better with tight fitting seals and good insalation and better glass, but that would cost too much in the long run.[/QUOTE]

Actually 2014+ Silverados' and Sierras have triple sealed doors plus laminated glass, in addition to some models having active noise cancellation to make the cab even quieter. Plus I find it funny you mention quality issues while numerous members of this forum have reported many different quality issues with their new Titan XD's so that point is pretty moot.

I'm personally debaring between a Sierra 2500 and a Titan XD. I am leaning toward the Sierra since it hauls and tows more in almost any trim level, plus in my opinion, the Duramax + Allison combo is unbeatable. But, I do like the different thoughtful ideas that Nissan put in the XD, such as the under seat storage and Titan Boxes. I would definitely do extensive test drives of both and pick the one that makes most sense for you. All in all, both are very good trucks in their own right.

·
1,300 Posts
Well to each there own, you can say what you will about other brands of trucks but I've owned all 3 within the last 8 years, 3 dodges 06, 11, 13, 08 f350 and a 06 duramax

For me the big 3 are sh*t threw and threw.
They just over advertise and get all the not so forward thinking people to follow suit in believing there really are buying a truck that is so far a head of its time and build quality.

If you really want to tow 12K with a F150 be my guess but make sure you get it for 10k cheaper so you can pay for your funeral too. Like I said ford is junk yes there nice but give it some time and they do fall apart and fast.

If you want quality crawl under the titan and than crawl under a f150 the xd makes the ford look pathetic. Really look at the components and ask your self what would feel safe driving and towing with.

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
Can't comment too much on the Chev. 2500
You can see my posts on here about how much I enjoy my xd.

Now I also owned a late build 2015 f150. One of the main reasons I got rid of it was because of my favorite option the panoramic roof. It rattled bad. Lots replaced and still couldn't be solved. The cooler it gets the worse it got. I still say the root of the problem is the alum expanding and contracting more then predicted. Lots of guys having the issue including the 16's. The other negative is they leak more then my liking ford says it's designed to. My drain tubes were kinked from factory and had a nice wet truck one morning. Ford also advises to be careful of automatic car washes as excessive water enter through the wet seal might be too much for drain system to handle.
The other issue with my ford was panel alignment. Not one panel matched. 20 hrs of work later told it's as good as it gets.
The other thing that bugged me was all squeaks and rattles after 6 mths.

I loved the power of the 2.7. But despite ford's claim to fame of higher payload numbers. Mine we set at 1288 lbs with factory ordered LT tires.

·
430 Posts
Well to each there own, you can say what you will about other brands of trucks but I've owned all 3 within the last 8 years, 3 dodges 06, 11, 13, 08 f350 and a 06 duramax

They just over advertise and get all the not so forward thinking people to follow suit in believing there really are buying a truck that is so far a head of its time and build quality.

If you really want to tow 12K with a F150 be my guess but make sure you get it for 10k cheaper so you can pay for your funeral too. Like I said ford is junk yes there nice but give it some time and they do fall apart and fast.

If you want quality crawl under the titan and than crawl under a f150 the xd makes the ford look pathetic. Really look at the components and ask your self what would feel safe driving and towing with.
Hmmm. I bet you have a friend that dropped his tool box and poked a hole in the bed of his new Ford. Lol. I have an 18 year old Chevy with over 200k that's only needed a fuel pump and a couple tune ups. Have another friend with the first year Allison/Duramax GMC, and it's still going strong. Have another friend with an 05 Ford that looks like it just came off the show room floor, never had an instance of trouble. One with first year 6.0 F250, over 200k and only replaced an alternator and radiator that he cracked replacing and alternator. That truck rattles, but only because he drives like a bat out of ****, down the worst road possible, for 14 years. My Titan started rattling a month after I moved on that road and I babied it.

Anyway, all that aside, the OP said he doesn't need to tow that heavy, so no reason to sell him on the stump pulling torque. And as far as crawling under trucks, yes a medium duty truck has bigger parts than a light duty truck, hence the name "light duty." If one were to tow 12k, he would be best suited by the 2500HD the OP mentioned, over the maxed out XD, anyway.

It's ok. You're not going to lose any commission, if the OP selects another truck.

·
658 Posts

Sounds like if EVERYTHING you have had is crap, your expectations are not realistic. I have never owned a Ram, so I cant speak to its strengths or shortcomings in a first hand experience. I also do not own an XD but did own a gen 1 Titan (2009). What I do find funny though, is people bashing the Ram trucks but loving this one.

What I can tell, is that Ram and the XD have a LOT in common. Most people here know (or maybe not) that Ram (Dodge) and Nissan were working on a joint venture truck as the next replacement for the Titan until the recession hit and the bailouts were needed. Evidence of this joint venture are seen everywhere in this XD. The most obvious is the Cummins engine, Asin tranny, and AAM axle. Basically the "most important" items on the truck, ie the drive train, are almost exactly like the Ram. It seems now that Nissan is even starting to have steering issues like Ram too.

Trying to compare interior wear, rattles, squeaks, etc.. between the XD and any of the other big 3 trucks is basically useless. The XD has not been out long enough to say if it will be better or worse. I know my gen 1 Titan had every bit as many squeaks and rattles as my buddies comparable F150. If that experience holds true with the XD, it wont be any better or worse than the big 3 trucks on average. The ideas that the XD is superior in build quality, residual value and other items of this nature are purely speculative and doesnt have any proof to back it up. Sure, initial impression of these items in the XD have been good, but they are good in all the trucks. Once the trucks have been on the road and through the wringer for a while, this discussion can be had in seriousness.

What the Titan absolutely did have an advantage with over the big 3 was value. Without a doubt, the gen 1 Titan was competitive with pricing. Maybe this one will get there too.

·
224 Posts
Sounds like if EVERYTHING you have had is crap, your expectations are not realistic. I have never owned a Ram, so I cant speak to its strengths or shortcomings in a first hand experience. I also do not own an XD but did own a gen 1 Titan (2009). What I do find funny though, is people bashing the Ram trucks but loving this one.

What I can tell, is that Ram and the XD have a LOT in common. Most people here know (or maybe not) that Ram (Dodge) and Nissan were working on a joint venture truck as the next replacement for the Titan until the recession hit and the bailouts were needed. Evidence of this joint venture are seen everywhere in this XD. The most obvious is the Cummins engine, Asin tranny, and AAM axle. Basically the "most important" items on the truck, ie the drive train, are almost exactly like the Ram. It seems now that Nissan is even starting to have steering issues like Ram too.

Trying to compare interior wear, rattles, squeaks, etc.. between the XD and any of the other big 3 trucks is basically useless. The XD has not been out long enough to say if it will be better or worse. I know my gen 1 Titan had every bit as many squeaks and rattles as my buddies comparable F150. If that experience holds true with the XD, it wont be any better or worse than the big 3 trucks on average. The ideas that the XD is superior in build quality, residual value and other items of this nature are purely speculative and doesnt have any proof to back it up. Sure, initial impression of these items in the XD have been good, but they are good in all the trucks. Once the trucks have been on the road and through the wringer for a while, this discussion can be had in seriousness.

What the Titan absolutely did have an advantage with over the big 3 was value. Without a doubt, the gen 1 Titan was competitive with pricing. Maybe this one will get there too.
I come from the Dodge camp, and while I did have lots of issues with the front end, death wobble and lube-for-life ball joints and tie rod ends and such, the only real quarrel I had with DC was over the corrosion warranty, and I achieved satisfaction through arbitration. But the overall reliability of the truck was good. Only left me stranded once in 17 years, ironically the Bosch VP44 fuel pump on the Cummins engine, so I guess that's good?
Agreed that it's anyone's guess about the XD, but I'm pleased so far.

MB

·
2 Posts
Well, i was between an GMC 2500 and the XD...last night bought an XD. Love it so far, the tailgate was not centered during assembly, it closes fine, but it's off. They'll fix that.
out a
Quite pleased with 2 Dealerships who i dealt with, and i'll say so in the survey If they give me good service, i'll sing their praises.

A couple other ones were woefully operated. One smelled like a low class bar and i'd go there after work, after texting that i'd be in to the saleswoman, and i'd get there at 1730, and nobody was around, but it was open and it seemed like folks were in the back at a meeting or just goofing off. I decided that wouldn't be a place i wanted to buy a car.

Place i bought were top shelf nice, salesman drove my wife's minivan home and his girlfriend followed him to my house. about a 40 minute drive. Very nice.

Love the truck so far. Now, i'm selling my 94 Heavy Half...which has been a GREAT TRUCK. I love her, but my wife says she has to go :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts