Nissan Titan XD Forum banner
301 - 318 of 318 Posts

·
10 Posts
Our new 5th wheel finally got here so we brought it home last night. 50km through the foothills with some good winds and the Titan did really well (~9000lbs / 1600lb pin weight unloaded). Back end dropped 2" when we hooked up. Put 40lbs into the airbags to bring it back up 1". Only strange thing I noticed was some lurching when hitting some mild road bumps and cracks. Almost felt like the brakes would apply a bit. Not sure if it was the transmission doing something weird or the traction control trying to figure out what was going on (do you guys turn traction control off when towing?).

Andersen Ultimate was really easy to use as well. Since it's tough to see the ball / coupler (especially with the trifold cover still in) I added a make shift "buggy whip" so I could tell when I was lined up (as soon as it starts to move I know I'm aligned).
nice set up. my wife and i are looking at the rockwood 8299bs and the andersen hitch. so how does she pull? did you install the airbags yourself, weve got the 17 xd pro4x midnight edition. we love the truck, and cant wait to get on the road.

·
80 Posts
nice set up. my wife and i are looking at the rockwood 8299bs and the andersen hitch. so how does she pull? did you install the airbags yourself, weve got the 17 xd pro4x midnight edition. we love the truck, and cant wait to get on the road.
Hey, sorry, was off the grid on another camping trip

The truck and hitch have been great. We’ve done a lot of towing through all sorts of conditions and it’s been great through everything. I occasionally select gears manually on really steep hills, but in general I just leave it on cruise and enjoy the ride. Only thing I would like is a larger tank but not ready to pay for the swap, so I carry an emergency can in case.

The Anderson hitch has been great. So easy to put in and take out. Hookup is a breeze, but I’ve never used a conventional hitch so no idea how different they are.

Yes, I put the air bags in myself. Not to bad an afternoon project if you’ve got the time and tools. Makes the ride much smoother. We get a bit of “chucking” on rougher roads and the bags really help. Trailer sits a little nose high which throws off the balance bit and our provincial roads aren’t maintained as well as federal roads so we just know those roads will have a bit of bounce sometimes. As soon as we get onto state and federal roads the ride is great. Our trailer also came with the sidewinder kingpin which we can’t use with the Anderson, and can’t change out because it uses a custom pinbox. If we could we would go to an kingpin with an air cushion.

·
463 Posts
Just to toss it out there for you truck camper owners... a friend bought a Stable-Lift and swears by it. Drive-on/drive-off with one button, loves the stability and loves that he can use his truck to drive without having to break down the camper for travel.

·
724 Posts
Cougar half ton.. about 8000lbs and easy pulling for the diesel.

I've added two more solar panels since then:

Reactions: desertrat67

·
6 Posts
2017 XD 2 WD Gas (Timbrens installed)
2021 Starcraft Telluride 297BHS

Rectangle Parallel Font Pattern Tints and shades

We took her to the scales on the way home a few weeks ago:
  • Steer Axle - 3720
  • Drive Axle - 4600
  • Trailer Axle - 7440

I figured the truck to be about 7000 pounds with us in it and 1/3 tank gas. From there I figure the pin weight with the Andersen Hitch to be about 1320 leaving a trailer weight of about 8720.

So far we've only done flat ground towing (Florida) and performance has been very good. I'm planning a trip out west and I'm a little worried about those high mountain passes. Not to mention the 26 gallon tank. Any advice on handling the steep grades?

Thanks
Steve

Tire Wheel Plant Land vehicle Vehicle

·
2 Posts

2016 SL XD pulling a 30 foot travel trailer weighing around 6400. Pulls mountain passes fine, the transmission exhaust brake works just fine. This has been the ideal truck for our weekend get aways.

301 - 318 of 318 Posts