Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
12.5k soaking wet gooseneck with a tractor/bush hog on it. Driving to my camp and back 3x a year 60 miles per trip. Otherwise the truck lives in inner city and might haul a 600 pound atv and a silly Labrador.

I want a SV XD 5.6.

·
1,979 Posts
Legally you'll be over weight but yes, I'm sure the truck can handle the load without falling apart. Didn't you ask this a few months ago ?

·
48 Posts
How does a 12k trailer violate the law.

Federal law states that single axles are limited to 20,000 pounds, and axles closer than 96 inches apart (tandem axles) are limited to 34,000 pounds. Gross vehicle weight is limited to 80,000 pounds (23 U.S.C. 127)

·
1,979 Posts
How does a 12k trailer violate the law.

Federal law states that single axles are limited to 20,000 pounds, and axles closer than 96 inches apart (tandem axles) are limited to 34,000 pounds. Gross vehicle weight is limited to 80,000 pounds (23 U.S.C. 127)
You obviously didn't read what he wrote and the question he asked.

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
You said "Legally you'll be over weight" ...

That's not true ... This truck could never pull to the the legal limits :grin2:

Reactions: BigRedcustoms

·
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
AZ, I'm hoping that since the gas version has been out for a month now, some folks have towed with them. However there is little to no chatter about them.

Guys that have them, what going on so far?

·
348 Posts
Since I had my travel trailer hooked up to measure how much drop I need on a new hitch shank, the new XD Pro4x hitch sits considerably higher than my 04 2wd Titan. I decided to give it a little pull around just to see how it handled 4500 lbs. The truck actually sat level and road like a dream with the 450 lb. tongue weight, did not use the weight distribution bars just a ball. Did not get on highway, just some back roads up to 50 mph. This truck barely noticed the small trailer, had plenty of acceleration, and power., no sway or rear end bounce or roll. I Have noticed that this 5.6 motor likes to run at higher RPMs than first gen. Titan, it seems to really kick in above 2800/3000. What driving I have done on the interstate, without a load, the truck has no problem going from 75 to 95 very quickly.

·
1,979 Posts
AZ, I'm hoping that since the gas version has been out for a month now, some folks have towed with them. However there is little to no chatter about them.

Guys that have them, what going on so far?
I understand what you're trying to gather but numbers are numbers & those can't be changed.
The truck can physically pull that weight, that's not going to be an issue but it's obviously going to be working it's butt off, that's just common sense. The question you need to ask yourself is, Do you want to push it all the way too or over its limits a few times a year or do you want to play it safe & find a different solution, only you can answer that.

·
48 Posts
Perhaps you did not, because you said it would be illegal, and it would not be.
He simply asked if he could tow it, he did not ask any questions about US DOT regulations, and laws pertaining to dragging stuff around on a trailer.
I am just correcting your incorrect legal advice.
You are welcome Barrister.......:wink2:

·
103 Posts
YES you can tow it, just watch you transmission temps and give yourself some extra breaking room. I've got a 20ft goose neck that I tow with my 04 Titan and have towed several tractors and excavators around close by, you'll be fine just be easy on it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts