Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

There actually aren't that many full-size pickup trucks on the market right now, but Car and Driver has gone ahead and ranked all of them in a new list. The Titan XD, Ford F-150 Raptor and Ford F-150 SVT Raptor are all unranked since they haven't been released yet. These vehicles are basically the main competitors to the Nissan Titan XD, so if you are looking into other options, then this list should give an idea of what else is out there.

1. Ford F-150
2. Chevrolet Silverado 1500
3. GMC Sierra 1500
4. Ram 1500
5. Toyota Tundra

Here's the link to the full Car and Driver Pickup Truck Ranking.

·
857 Posts
If this was Toyota with the kind of coin they have sitting around, that could very well happen. Not sure if Nissan is in a strong enough position.

·
2019 Titan XD Pro4x Cummins
665 Posts
If this was Toyota with the kind of coin they have sitting around, that could very well happen. Not sure if Nissan is in a strong enough position.
I've been thinking that it's just as important to Cummins for the Titan to be a successful truck as it is for Nissan. This engine isn't locked down so if it's an excellent engine, other truck makers might take the easy route and buy the ISV. Then it would come down to who makes the best truck to wrap around the ISV.

·
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
but could they negotiate an exclusive to it?
I think that the only way that would happen is if whatever truck they are supplying sold so many units each year, that Cummins wouldn't ever want to lose them as a client. It would have to be what McDonalds is to beef farmers.

I don't think that the Nissan Titan is going to be able to play that off. If anything the exclusivity would be on a very limited term just so that the Titan could benefit from being the only truck on the market offering the engine.

·
857 Posts
I've been thinking that it's just as important to Cummins for the Titan to be a successful truck as it is for Nissan. This engine isn't locked down so if it's an excellent engine, other truck makers might take the easy route and buy the ISV. Then it would come down to who makes the best truck to wrap around the ISV.
Good point since the success of that engine shows the soundness of their product which can then be adopted by another truck maker whether it be the same engine or not.

Overall it shoots them up.

·
Premium Member
357 Posts
I think that the only way that would happen is if whatever truck they are supplying sold so many units each year, that Cummins wouldn't ever want to lose them as a client. It would have to be what McDonalds is to beef farmers.

I don't think that the Nissan Titan is going to be able to play that off. If anything the exclusivity would be on a very limited term just so that the Titan could benefit from being the only truck on the market offering the engine.
I was trying to find the truck sales numbers for 1989(first year of the 5.9 cummins in a Dodge D250).. I bought a 1991 Ram Cummins Diesel and let me tell ya...That engine made the truck. My purchase was based on engine need and not truck because I would have been quite disappoitned lol. Back to my point.. Back then 89 to 1992, I think Ram was by far last in truck sales. Same body style as the early 80's and the creature comforts just weren't there compared to GM and Ford...But sales steadily picked up every year as the Cummins Diesel picked up in popularity.

Anyways, I dont think Nissan will reach those large sales leaps that Dodge trucks had say in 1994 but I think they are tapping into the right niche.. Either way, I think you are right. I can't see the numbers being large enough to negotiate exclusivity like they did with the 5.9 and 6.7l.

But, looking back at Dodge, stranger things have happened!! ;)

M1lks

·
36 Posts
I own the #5 vehicle on this list. Test drove 1-4 and the gadgetry was impressive, but I wanted a reliable truck. This truck has been easy to work on and easy to maintain and is built in Texas.

·
Premium Member
357 Posts
I own the #5 vehicle on this list. Test drove 1-4 and the gadgetry was impressive, but I wanted a reliable truck. This truck has been easy to work on and easy to maintain and is built in Texas.
I had a 2000 Toyota Tundra and liked it quite a bit. Paint chipped easy and the front brakes prematurely wore as compared to other vehicles I had (rotors would cause a bad brake shake) but aside from that GREAT vehicle. Kept it for 140 000 kms.The new ones don't have enough headroom for me. Dunno why but I think it has to do with the seat configuration.

I currently have a 2014 Ford Ecoboost F150 for work and its very powerful but I have had a few engine lights and it smokes a lot when you first start it up which worries me!

M1lks

·
36 Posts
I had a 2000 Toyota Tundra and liked it quite a bit. Paint chipped easy and the front brakes prematurely wore as compared to other vehicles I had (rotors would cause a bad brake shake) but aside from that GREAT vehicle. Kept it for 140 000 kms.The new ones don't have enough headroom for me. Dunno why but I think it has to do with the seat configuration.

I currently have a 2014 Ford Ecoboost F150 for work and its very powerful but I have had a few engine lights and it smokes a lot when you first start it up which worries me!

M1lks
They fixed the paint chip issues quite a few model years back. Brake jobs are incredibly easy. They're bolt-on rotors, so no re-packing bearings for new rotors! So far no brake shake. The only time I've seen that is when only pads were replaced and the rotors weren't turned / replaced or you had uneven pressure applied usually caused by a bad brake piston. Or a loose/worn wheel bearing, but usually that causes uneven braking.

I'm not sure about the 2000's but the 2014's have 4 piston brakes. I've done a bit of off-roading and the truck is solid there too.

I'm just an average 5'9" guy and could wear a sombrero in mine! I have heard about headroom issues for the tacos though. 6' tall guy is about the limit for the tacos.

I like how Toyota doesn't nickel/dime you for accessories. Mine came with mud guards that are an option on most Chevys and Fords I've looked at. :(

·
Premium Member
357 Posts
They fixed the paint chip issues quite a few model years back. Brake jobs are incredibly easy. They're bolt-on rotors, so no re-packing bearings for new rotors! So far no brake shake. The only time I've seen that is when only pads were replaced and the rotors weren't turned / replaced or you had uneven pressure applied usually caused by a bad brake piston. Or a loose/worn wheel bearing, but usually that causes uneven braking.

I'm not sure about the 2000's but the 2014's have 4 piston brakes. I've done a bit of off-roading and the truck is solid there too.

I'm just an average 5'9" guy and could wear a sombrero in mine! I have heard about headroom issues for the tacos though. 6' tall guy is about the limit for the tacos.

I like how Toyota doesn't nickel/dime you for accessories. Mine came with mud guards that are an option on most Chevys and Fords I've looked at. :(
LMAO @ Sombrero!!

Sounds like they are a pretty solid truck. Glad to hear!

I figured they would have fixed it all. I bought the first model year change vehicle so I expected some little niggles. Now if they would only bring the seats down lower for us giant generic defects I would be happy!! lol

·
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I wasn't really expecting any issues with head room in a full size truck. Should I be at all concerned as someone who is 6'2"?

·
313 Posts
Don't think so.
The Taco is/was really tight. I had to fold over like a jack-knife to get in. But once in, it wasn't that bad.
The F150 is very spacious. Easy to get in. No folding necessary. I expect the Titan XD to be the same. I'm 6'1".

·
772 Posts
Don't think so.
The Taco is/was really tight. I had to fold over like a jack-knife to get in. But once in, it wasn't that bad.
The F150 is very spacious. Easy to get in. No folding necessary. I expect the Titan XD to be the same. I'm 6'1".
from the pictures, the interior on the XD looks very similar in size to the current titan. Which is bigger then what most people would expect, my crew cab titan has tons of space.

·
857 Posts
Don't think so.
How much more room did you have above your head?

·
Premium Member
357 Posts
I wasn't really expecting any issues with head room in a full size truck. Should I be at all concerned as someone who is 6'2"?
I am going with NOT as well. I will say that I don't fit in the RAM with a sunroof...Have to order it without so some of them are tight...I think manufacturers are trying to appease the shorter statured people too much!! Toyota Tundra, Sequoia, RAM truck all too small for me and I am only 6' 3"

1 - 20 of 23 Posts