Nissan Titan XD Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
2018 Titan XD SV 4x4, 5.0 Cummings, Midnight
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got to the scale and my fear was confirmed. My TT is 6733 dry and the advertised TW was 1056. That's close to 15.5%. I didn't catch this until too late. I had dealer install my Equalizer 12k WDH. I didn't like how it was installed so while at a RV park very close by I raised the L bracket one hole. Since we were loaded I drove 30 miles to a scale. Truck front end didn't feel floaty like before. Towed really well, but the scale weights shows I still need more weight on Steer axel ( I think). The fear is my TW is Maxed. I checked the TW with my E-trailer TW scale (1150 lbs) before heading to the scales. Scale weight showing 1200 LB

1. TV & TT with WDH activated. Full tank, Wife and I

2. TV & TT with WDH not activated. Wife in the truck, Weight master got the weight before I was in the Truck. Lol (these numbers work good) Gives me 200lb less TW! Huh.

3. TV & TT with WDH not Activated, wife and I in truck.

4. TV only with hitch head and bars attached.

What's everyone's thought?

Attachments

·
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I forgot to mention, when I checked how level the ball was to the trailer the ball was about an inch lower. I am thinking I need to raise the hitch head one hole to make it more level with the trailer.

·
4 Posts
I've always been told to start with the ball at 1" higher than the top of the trailer coupler (when it's sitting level) as the place to start when making adjustments. Will be going through this soon as we just purchased a 21 Titan XD and are coming from a Tundra, the Titan XD ball height is 6" above where my tundra was, so we're waiting for the drop shank to arrive.

·
62 Posts
Joe everything is good with your numbers. Max tongue weight is 1400lbs on our truck with a wdh. I would add one more washer to the wdh to get a little more transfer to front end of truck though. It will make the bars harder to put on but thats what its supposed to do. It will also take a little off the tongue weight and then add to trailer axle. The wdh bars are sitting perfect and the hitch looks set just like mine. I'm using 5 washers to get mine dialed in.

·
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've always been told to start with the ball at 1" higher than the top of the trailer coupler (when it's sitting level) as the place to start when making adjustments. Will be going through this soon as we just purchased a 21 Titan XD and are coming from a Tundra, the Titan XD ball height is 6" above where my tundra was, so we're waiting for the drop shank to arrive.
I agree. However the dealer didn't do that, so I am starting from scratch. I wasted on them installing. I just don't have a torque wrench capable of 340 lbs. Lol. Thank you for your comments. That's where I will start
Joe everything is good with your numbers. Max tongue weight is 1400lbs on our truck with a wdh. I would add one more washer to the wdh to get a little more transfer to front end of truck though. It will make the bars harder to put on but thats what its supposed to do. It will also take a little off the tongue weight and then add to trailer axle. The wdh bars are sitting perfect and the hitch looks set just like mine. I'm using 5 washers to get mine dialed in.
Thanks! Thats my plan once I find some place who could torque the hitch head bolts to 320-340. Probably the dealer a
Thanks. I feel I am getting there. I am going to add another washer once I locate a place that can Torque my hitch head bolts to 320-340 lbs. Probably back to the dealer. I think I might need to raise the ball. It wasn't level with TT receiver, looked to be about an inch lower but will double check that first. Thanks for the advice. Appreciate ya!

·
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree. However the dealer didn't do that, so I am starting from scratch. I wasted on them installing. I just don't have a torque wrench capable of 340 lbs. Lol. Thank you for your comments. That's where I will start

Thanks! Thats my plan once I find some place who could torque the hitch head bolts to 320-340. Probably the dealer a

Thanks. I feel I am getting there. I am going to add another washer once I locate a place that can Torque my hitch head bolts to 320-340 lbs. Probably back to the dealer. I think I might need to raise the ball. It wasn't level with TT receiver, looked to be about an inch lower but will double check that first. Thanks for the advice. Appreciate ya!
I am pretty certain my max TW is 1230. I am double checking that too. Thanks everyone for your valuable inputs.

·
62 Posts
I see the specs on our tongue weight being 1230lbs but on page 10-49 of the owners manual it says that a class 4 hitch used for wd are weighted at maximum of 1400lbs. So I'm not sure if they mean the xds class receiver hitch class 4 is rated for 1400lbs or....

Also, same as (coolm_19) my receiver ball height is 1" above trailer tongue height before hooking up. Here's a photo of how my truck and trailer sits.

·
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I see the specs on our tongue weight being 1230lbs but on page 10-49 of the owners manual it says that a class 4 hitch used for wd are weighted at maximum of 1400lbs. So I'm not sure if they mean the xds class receiver hitch class 4 is rated for 1400lbs or....
Also, same as (coolm_19) my receiver ball height is 1" above trailer tongue height before hooking up. Here's a photo of how my truck and trailer sits.
View attachment 46458 View attachment 46459
Your set up looks spot on. I want that! I do have a little sag and trailer leaning down. I am raising the hitch a notch (1.5") and adding a washer and will head to the scale to dial in Sunday. I already know I am not getting enough weight on the Steer axel. I grabbed my manual and I actually have that paragraph highlighted on page 10-47 in my manual. But, on page 10-41 (my manual) the towing table states max TW is 1203#. The table also states I have 2000# payload where as my door sticker reads 1708. Lol. The manual is conflicting. Thanks for your assistance. Once again I like your setup.

·
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
After some WDH adjustments I believe I got it close enough to Send it! Still would like a bit more FALR (80-85%), but much better then 33% from dealer install, and the 33% was after I raised the L brackets up a notch. I am not sold on having the bars that close to trailer frame (a bit further away than pic shows), but hasn't touched the frame yet and I have turned pretty sharp.

My adjustments: I Raised the hitch up one hole and added 2 more washers to make a total of 8 washers.

My two main concerns were, FALR and TW. Both down seem in the safe zone now. Front end doesn't feel floaty.

If I was to raised the hitch up one more hole how would that effect the numbers?

I did measure my TT frame front and back and have 1" nose down on TT. Measured while on the scale, figured that would be the most level. I am thinking about dropping L bracket down a hole and re-weigh just to see what I lose or gain.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts