Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my first CEL I’ve ever had on this truck. Dropped it off at the dealer after watching it for a few days and trying to diagnose on my own.

Info:
2017 XD Cummins SL 4x4
55k miles
Tuned/Deleted

The truck threw that P00B7 code And almost nearly after the light came on, ‘Engine Power Reduced’ displayed on the infotainment screen.

Coolant is in between the MIN and MAX on the tank when observed cold. No leaks- I’ve looked extensively underneath and in the engine bay. I haven’t added any since the last change 10k mikes ago.

EGR is in place, but disabled- so I don’t think it’s the culprit.

My best thought is the coolant sensor in the tank, which is an integral part, requiring the whole tank to be replaced.

Luckily my dealership is friendly about my tunes and I’m friendly back. Technician called and asked if I’ve added any coolant and I gave him the same info as I have listed above.

Thoughts?

·
345 Posts
Given your mechanical knowledge this is probably a silly suggestion, but... have you tried replacing the thermostat? Perhaps it's sticking a bit and is causing the temp difference between the engine and radiator sensors?

·
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Either coolant sensor or EGR leaking

Stay frosty
Could be a dumb question, but wouldn’t I find an actual leak? Or does it leak back into the coolant system?

Given your mechanical knowledge this is probably a silly suggestion, but... have you tried replacing the thermostat? Perhaps it's sticking a bit and is causing the temp difference between the engine and radiator sensors?
Not a dumb question at all. Thermostat is the factory unit, I haven’t swapped it for another-so plausible.

However, on my EZLynk, I haven’t noticed any issues with coolant temps. It runs up to about 210, then drops back down to 204-206 quickly, then slowly back up again. I assume that means the thermostat is opening and closing correctly.

·
175 Posts
Depends, most leak internal and hopefully go out the exhaust and get burned off there. Some leak external and you can see it. But it sounds like it's the sensor, which means you'll need a new tank. Kind of stupid considering the sensor can come off.

Stay frosty

·
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Depends, most leak internal and hopefully go out the exhaust and get burned off there. Some leak external and you can see it. But it sounds like it's the sensor, which means you'll need a new tank. Kind of stupid considering the sensor can come off.

Stay frosty
Yeah I noticed that in the parts fiche I was looking at- dumb design.

Well, today came and went, hopefully the technician calls me back tomorrow.

·
175 Posts
If you still had your truck, I'd advise checking continuity on the sensor itself, clean the pins on both sides with contact cleaner and the sensor itself. But sounds like you have a good dealer and hopefully they'll hook you up. What dealer, if you don't mind me asking?

Stay frosty

·
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update:

Technician called and he orders the coolant tank because he thinks it’s the sensor. I hope this cures the issue, otherwise it’s probably the EGR.

Bad news is the part is national back order.

·
48 Posts
I think it is common with the coolant level sensor which require to replace with the reservoir. That sensor is very sensative. It can turn off your computer and put you on the limo if the outside temperature above 100f. It happened to me at homedepot. It freeze up the car because it tell the computer that the coolant is too low and shut down the engine to protect it from further damages. I had order that for 1 week but it is not in yet. good luck

·
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Have you looked on eBay for a tank or sensor out of a totalled truck?

Stay frosty
I haven’t looked for a used one yet.

However I have looked at CFT coolant tank. It’s just pricey and my tuner would subway to disable that sensor.

·
3 Posts
Same this happened to mine

It was the coolant sensor

If you disconnect it will register as high and not low, thus not putting the trunk in "Reduced Engine Power " Mode, This should get you by until you get the part in

·
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Same this happened to mine

It was the coolant sensor

If you disconnect it will register as high and not low, thus not putting the trunk in "Reduced Engine Power " Mode, This should get you by until you get the part in
Thanks for the tip!

I’m in a 2020 Titan SL gasser as a loaner until the part comes in.

·
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update 2: Service advisor called and said that the part should be in by Monday, so completed either Monday or Tuesday.

They are covering it under warranty and my loaner Titan is covered by Nissan, as well.

If anyone is near to North Carolina and wants a no bullshit dealer for our trucks, this one is it. Always get a loaner, lifetime warranty for initial owner, lifetime maintenance package and the techs are tuning friendly.

·
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Final update: got my truck back today- good as new and all covered under warranty. Engine bay looks even cleaner with a brand new coolant bottle.

Will post part numbers when I get home to assist others if they are doing an outside of warranty repair.

·
106 Posts
Dude, I'm jealous. My '16 is bone stock, 58k miles. It broke down and left me sitting on the shoulder of a very busy Interstate for 2 hours waiting on a tow. In the shop for two days short of a month. Never offered me a loaner until truck was there for three weeks, and still never got one because they were "waiting on one of their loaners to come back." Issue ended up being the lift pump. Not covered under warranty because the basic warranty is 3yr/36k.. And the extended MaxCare warranty I bought for almost $2,000 said they "don't cover that part." So I am out $774 for the part. The dealer was at least nice enough to not charge me labor and discounted the pump.

·
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Dude, I'm jealous. My '16 is bone stock, 58k miles. It broke down and left me sitting on the shoulder of a very busy Interstate for 2 hours waiting on a tow. In the shop for two days short of a month. Never offered me a loaner until truck was there for three weeks, and still never got one because they were "waiting on one of their loaners to come back." Issue ended up being the lift pump. Not covered under warranty because the basic warranty is 3yr/36k.. And the extended MaxCare warranty I bought for almost $2,000 said they "don't cover that part." So I am out $774 for the part. The dealer was at least nice enough to not charge me labor and discounted the pump.
Dealer support is by far the biggest issue with these trucks.

Unfortunately the grass is always greener. My father in law is in the same boat you are with his Ford- truck is broke, warranty doesn’t cover ‘that issue’, no loaner and pricey parts.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts