Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My check engine came on today while towing but no warning. Pulled the code and got a P226C.

P226C (Turbocharger Boost Control Slow Response)

Anybody else get this? What was the remediation?

I realize there is a TSB but not sure if it's related as I have recent firmware.

NTB16-095 2016 NISSAN TITAN XD; MIL ON WITH DTC P226C OR P0471
One or both of the following DTCs are stored:
P226C (Turbocharger Boost Control Slow Response)
P0471 (Exhaust Pressure Sensor "A" Circuit Range/Performance)
and
There are no drivability issues.

·
216 Posts
I had this Saturday, it was at closing time so he cleared it for me. The truck would run fine up till 60 and then had no power, reminded me of my 2.3l ranger. The light came back on an hour later. Took it in first thing this morning, after about an hour I got a call that it was a vacuum hose on the turbo had come loose. I had the complete fuel system replaced this month due to Sam's mixing fuels.

·
1 Posts
Joined today for this issue, had ecm changed under warranty after some diag and same code is popping again....p226c. Anyone have any luck figuring out what’s wrong and how to fix?

·
118 Posts
Got this code for the second time today, dealer said they can’t get me in until Monday. What was the fix for this issue?

·
67 Posts
Just got the code today on my 2017 with 27,000 miles while towing RV. I has no performance issues that are noticeable and all gauges fine?? I wonder where the vacuum hose referred to above is located??
I still don't get it fix yet. I had reset my twice but it will come up around 2 days after reset. I do not know what happened to it. My truck is 72k miles but nissan dealer denied the warranty. They told me the warrant 100k for other truck but my because I bough 1 month before they change the rule. my cover only 60k. you may have to check with your dealer and let me know if you can find out. I don't want to spend 4k to replace the turbo.

·
2019 XD SV 5.6L
44 Posts
Replacing the turbo is exactly what mine is in the shop for today. 2018 with 21k miles. Same error code P226C . Second attempt at fixing it. First they replaced the actuator to the rotary turbine valve. That didn't fix it. So they wanted to replace the valve but for some reason you can only get the valve as part of a new turbo unit which contains both the low pressure and high pressure turbos as well as the rotary valve. I'll post the specifics on part numbers replaced when I pick it up tonight (hopefully). I think the turbo assembly they're replacing is about $2,500 for the part.

·
367 Posts
Wow, that is a bummer but glad they caught it while under warranty. The turbo is very large, complicated (2 turbines for high and low pressure spool up) and insanely expensive. The valve that directs the exhaust gases one way or another (or mix) between the turbines if integral in the casting/assembly. Let us know how it turns out!

·
2019 XD SV 5.6L
44 Posts
The valve that directs the exhaust gases one way or another (or mix) between the turbines if integral in the casting/assembly.
That's exactly what the dealer said. They don't think it's an issue with the turbos themselves but since they replaced the actuator already and flashed the ECM, this is what CONSULT said to do. Seems a shame that you have to replace this huge part (tech said it weighs 85#) and take apart half the engine compartment just to replace this little valve but I guess that's just a sign of the times. I'll post details on what they did once I pick it up.

·
367 Posts
That's exactly what the dealer said. They don't think it's an issue with the turbos themselves but since they replaced the actuator already and flashed the ECM, this is what CONSULT said to do. Seems a shame that you have to replace this huge part (tech said it weighs 85#) and take apart half the engine compartment just to replace this little valve but I guess that's just a sign of the times. I'll post details on what they did once I pick it up.
Yes, it is a shame...this shows it better...minus the red show paint of course

·
2019 XD SV 5.6L
44 Posts
I picked up my truck and the tech took me back into the shop and showed me the old turbo. After looking at the turbo assembly and where the valve is, there's no way you could just replace the valve (I marked it on the second picture). You'd have to remove the entire turbo assembly then split it in between the high and low pressure turbos. And, you'd need a press to remove the valve from the bearing it's inserted into in the back. It's one expensive part ! 144D1-EZ49CRE. What the tech told me is the long term fix for this sticky valve problem is a flashing of the ECM that somehow reduces the likelihood of carbon buildup in the valve, which they did. I could feel resistance about 1/2 way through the throw of the valve when moving it by hand. We'll see.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
My 2017 xd had intermittnet boost loss and a code p226c. short story had complete turbo assembly replaced under warranty.

·
1,484 Posts
My 2017 xd had intermittnet boost loss and a code p226c. short story had complete turbo assembly replaced under warranty.
Did you notice an improvement once it was replaced? Mine is waiting for the same repair...code comes every now and then and the light has come on twice. I cleared it out and continued to drive it. But...wanted to get it fixed under warranty. Evidently the parts are on back order. I’m waiting til the end of the month when they supposedly arrive.

·
2 Posts
I still don't get it fix yet. I had reset my twice but it will come up around 2 days after reset. I do not know what happened to it. My truck is 72k miles but nissan dealer denied the warranty. They told me the warrant 100k for other truck but my because I bough 1 month before they change the rule. my cover only 60k. you may have to check with your dealer and let me know if you can find out. I don't want to spend 4k to replace the turbo.

·
2 Posts
There is a bulletin o recall for fixing o changing the high pressure turbocharge assembly no charges for parts and labor .only for 2016 nissan titan xd diesel 5.0 L

·
1 Posts
There is a bulletin o recall for fixing o changing the high pressure turbocharge assembly no charges for parts and labor .only for 2016 nissan titan xd diesel 5.0 L
Hey, where did you find information staying this? I'm going to the dealership tomorrow and want all the ammo I can get in case they try to charge me

·
3 Posts
Hey, where did you find information staying this? I'm going to the dealership tomorrow and want all the ammo I can get in case they try to charge me
I hope you have more luck than I did. My 2016 Titan at 36k miles just went to dealer needing new turbo and I’m told there are over 200 people waiting for these w/o any estimate of time for delivering. It appears that they need to be produced as none are available. Quite frustrating!

·
367 Posts
My 2016 Titan at 36k miles just went to dealer needing new turbo and I’m told there are over 200 people waiting for these w/o any estimate of time for delivering
Sorry to hear that...wow, that is scary--200. I hope the service advisor was exaggerating. At 36K on a 2016, you ought to be under powertrain warranty (5/60) unless it was a real early 2016. Is it a warranty job for you?

·
2019 XD SV 5.6L
44 Posts
I think the turbo is actually considered an emissions component. Read your warranty but I was surprised - even the fuel pump is considered emissions.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts