Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Changed out the three speakers in the dash of my Rockford Fosgate system and it has made a big difference. For the center speaker I installed an Infinity Kappa Perfect 300m midrange speaker and for the sides I used Kenwood Excelon KFC-X2C midrange speakers. Also installed WeatherTech front and rear MudFlaps.

·
60 Posts
Changed out the three speakers in the dash of my Rockford Fosgate system and it has made a big difference. For the center speaker I installed an Infinity Kappa Perfect 300m midrange speaker and for the sides I used Kenwood Excelon KFC-X2C midrange speakers. Also installed

WeatherTech front and rear MudFlaps.
What exactly were you trying to get that you changed the speakers? Like we’re they too muddy or something for you? I personally quite enjoy my Rockford system.

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
This stuff is so personal and I think it depends so much on your musical taste and source material that your listening to. I am trying to tighen up the system, create more clarity and smooth out the sound stage. Another thing I am trying to do is create more of fuller cabin sound by deemphizing and reducing the prominence of the front dash presence in this system. I generally prefer my musical sound stage to be very rear - front balanced, while this system is very front sound stage focused.

I have been posting my progress as an add-in in to this original speaker replacement thread started by ezekielguy86:https://www.titanxdforum.com/forum/273-interior/27714-speaker-replacement-4.html

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I am a big audio guy when integration gets better with aftermarket head-units I will make that move. At some point I need this system to support lossless FLAC files. Yes - it's a bit of a hole that you dig yourself into - my core home audio system cost as much as this truck. My little Fiat Abarth (which might fit in the bed of this truck) was a complete disassembly Dynamat and Dyanpad install.

Attachments

·
274 Posts
I see what you mean with the soundstage being all on the dash. But I find the Rockford Fosgate to be a bit too bright for my taste, even with adjusting it down slightly in the limited settings. I sure wish I could adjust each speaker individually instead of just fader and balance.

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I feel the same way, the system is pretty bright especially in the front dash, and it's really limited with what you can control. It helped a lot just replacing the front speakers. The factory pillar mounted tweeters and the dash speakers are sent the same frequencies (just blocked lower bass) and the tweeter have cross-overs on each tweeter. When I replaced my dash mid-ranges, I decided not to reconnect the tweeters on the pillars - this really helped with the "in your face" brightness and the harness in the top-end. Doing just the dash really isn't to expensive the Kenwood Excelon KFC-X2C 2-3/4" midrange speakers where $59.00 for the pair locally and the Infinity Kappa Perfect 300m center speaker was $139.00 for a pair - but you only use one so if anyone is interested I can sell my extra one for $70.00. The total cost is about $130 and a few hours of labor. I did cut the speaker wires and connector off the factory speakers and soldered them to the new speakers maybe 10 minutes to do that, longest time is taking some of the dash apart but it's not to bad and I have the directions if needed.

·
1,025 Posts
I see what you mean with the soundstage being all on the dash. But I find the Rockford Fosgate to be a bit too bright for my taste, even with adjusting it down slightly in the limited settings. I sure wish I could adjust each speaker individually instead of just fader and balance.
From what I've read it's designed that way... they want it more in the front like you would have at a concert.

·
1,324 Posts
This stuff is so personal and I think it depends so much on your musical taste and source material that your listening to. I am trying to tighen up the system, create more clarity and smooth out the sound stage. Another thing I am trying to do is create more of fuller cabin sound by deemphizing and reducing the prominence of the front dash presence in this system. I generally prefer my musical sound stage to be very rear - front balanced, while this system is very front sound stage focused.

I have been posting my progress as an add-in in to this original speaker replacement thread started by ezekielguy86:https://www.titanxdforum.com/forum/273-interior/27714-speaker-replacement-4.html
Thank God for people like you. If it werent for your knowledge - us status quo guys “i like my stock rockford system” wouldnt even have a system that good. My best buddy is an audio buff and he help me pick out upgrades when i think it necessary (like Ford’s Sony “premium” system. Lol)

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Replaced the subwoofer speaker with a Rockford Fosgate P3SD2-8. The factory sub is 1.2ohm and this Rockford sub measures 1.7ohm across each voice coil, I didn't notice any real volume drop but the bass is tighter and less sloppy. So far my system sounds considerably clearer and tighter. My total cost for the entire upgrade was about $400.00 this includes the front 3 speakers, rear door speakers, sub-woofer replacement and about 40sq ft of dampening material.

·
1,025 Posts
Wow... I've never seen anyone take their audio this serious in a vehicle lol. Kinda funny to be honest...
You don't like music?
Absolutely love it.. just like my Rockford system. I've have all types of custom audio setups throughout my life and personally I think the stock Rockford system sounds great with the type of music I listen to.

·
2 Posts
Just bought my Titan last night and this was the thread I needed. Awesome man, thanks! Do you know if the factory head unit has pre-amp outs if you wanted to add another little sub without redoing everything?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts