Nissan Titan XD Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm guessing this is a question that guys that know much more about the 5.0 Cummins motor can easily answer... does the trucks system store a history of the codes the vehicle is throwing when the check engine light comes on? If so, for how long?

I'm asking because mine has come on 3 times in the past month but mysteriously corrects itself before my appointment at the dealer.

Today I made a 210 mile round trip towing a small trailer that prob had a total weight of 2200# and 60 miles into the trip the check engine light came on. 10 miles later the "reduced engine power" indicator was on and 6 miles later it went off, but the check engine light stayed on.

I finished the first 105 miles and was at my destination for 50 mins. Fired the truck up and the check engine light was off. Started back home and again at about 50-60 miles into the trip home the check engine light return and short after it threw up the reduced engine power indicator. That indicator went off about 2 miles later and the check engine light stayed on.

Now two hrs after returning home, I go out to check on it and the check engine light is off again.

So, I'm wondering if all of these events are logged and if the dealer can retrieve them?

By my best estimations I'm about 60 days from being out of warranty and would like to sort out the issue but it's so sporadic. It's a 7-10 day wait for an appointment at my local dealer. Had one scheduled two weeks ago but the damn light went off and I cancelled the appointment

Also, I checked all the fluids and the temp gauges and indicators seem to be within normal ranges while stopped and running.

Should I have it looked at even though the light is not currently on or am I wasting my $140 for a diagnostic check?

·
306 Posts
Best to get your own ODB2 code reader/software - search on here for ODB2 and you'll find links to cost-effective readers on Amazon. Several of them have Blutooth and there are apps that will list/describe codes.

It's best if you walk into the dealership knowing a bit of what's going on... just to prevent that sensation of warm air flowing around your nether regions!

I had the same issue, CEL on, reduced power then it went away. I had a P00B7-00 - Engine coolant level) that was causing it. Knew about it before going in, they said the same thing and (surprisingly) had a replacement tank and sensor on the shelf!

Good luck

Russ

·
1,303 Posts
Russ already said it- but I’m willing to bet it’s the coolant tank sensor.

Your symptoms were the same as mine. The dealer also has been tricking that sensor so you can continue to drive- there’s a few posts about or recently. You basically lower the sensor to give it a false reading.

However, get a code pulled first and start there.

·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. Was yours covered under the warranty...or considered to be a wearable part?

Also, do the error codes stay in the memory or do they disappear when the check engine light goes off?

Thanks again

·
1,303 Posts
Thanks. Was yours covered under the warranty...or considered to be a wearable part?

Also, do the error codes stay in the memory or do they disappear when the check engine light goes off?

Thanks again
Mine was fixed under warranty, however the part took a few days to get there.

Also, I’m tuned and deleted, but dealer is pretty good to me.

The codes should still be there- if I’m not mistaken they can search for latent errors, too.

If the light pops back up, pull into a Autozone/Advanced Auto/big box auto store and they can read. Just leave it idling in the lot so it doesn’t disappear.

·
18 Posts
I'm guessing this is a question that guys that know much more about the 5.0 Cummins motor can easily answer... does the trucks system store a history of the codes the vehicle is throwing when the check engine light comes on? If so, for how long?

I'm asking because mine has come on 3 times in the past month but mysteriously corrects itself before my appointment at the dealer.

Today I made a 210 mile round trip towing a small trailer that prob had a total weight of 2200# and 60 miles into the trip the check engine light came on. 10 miles later the "reduced engine power" indicator was on and 6 miles later it went off, but the check engine light stayed on.

I finished the first 105 miles and was at my destination for 50 mins. Fired the truck up and the check engine light was off. Started back home and again at about 50-60 miles into the trip home the check engine light return and short after it threw up the reduced engine power indicator. That indicator went off about 2 miles later and the check engine light stayed on.

Now two hrs after returning home, I go out to check on it and the check engine light is off again.

So, I'm wondering if all of these events are logged and if the dealer can retrieve them?

By my best estimations I'm about 60 days from being out of warranty and would like to sort out the issue but it's so sporadic. It's a 7-10 day wait for an appointment at my local dealer. Had one scheduled two weeks ago but the damn light went off and I cancelled the appointment

Also, I checked all the fluids and the temp gauges and indicators seem to be within normal ranges while stopped and running.

Should I have it looked at even though the light is not currently on or am I wasting my $140 for a diagnostic check?
I literally just commented about this in another post but I had that issue and it ended up being my EGR valve and coolant sensor Reservoir needed replaced and it was a $2400 repair and then five months later I had the same error codes come up only this time it was a turbine actuator and linkage and that repair was $1800

·
810 Posts
Like others had said, get an OBDII Reader and go from there instead of guessing. CEL could be tons of different issue.

Better yet, I'd get EZ-Lynk if you know what I mean.

·
14 Posts

I have a 2016 Titan and had the exact same experience...even stopped off at an Auto Parts store and had them pull the codes because I was headed out on a four-hour trip. Unfortunately, I had to swap out vehicles because my Titan kept powering down. TURNS OUT- after taking my truck in for repairs it was determined to be a vapor leak which required about a $1,400 repair!! Thankfully, my dealership covered this under warranty, so it eased the pain of a costly repair bill.
Interestingly enough, on two or three occasions I've had my CHECK ENGINE light on when accelerating from a coast of about 10mph merging onto an interstate. The first time I took it back to the dealership and they couldn't find an issue so they reset the light. Now when it happens, I'll wait a day and the light eventually goes out...so I'm assuming it's some kind of vacuum alarm.
Hope this helps...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts