Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all!
Long time lurker, first post.

Last year I owned a 2017 SV and a 36 ft Jayc bumper pull that I had for a few years. In May 2020 we upgraded to the Sandpiper 3220RL. It has 4 slides, one being a bunk room. Pin weight is like 1800 pounds.

Anyway, with the old 2017 we towed it 3000 miles from Chicago to Charleston SC via the smokies and then after a 2 month stay we toured up the east coast with 3 stops in NY (Long Island, Saratoga, Niagra Falls) and then back through Ohio and Indiana to our seasonal site in Newark IL. All this in the May to July timeframe in the middle of the pandemic. Let’s just say it was the best trip ever. The smokies were conquered, a 3 point turn on a narrow mountain road occurred due to a downed power line, and many other wonderful things.

The old 17 was great, I had added timberins and it towed like a dream averaging 7.5 mph over the course of 3k miles. Only issue we had was the crappy software running the 7 speed tranny. I was unable to use cruise control, for if I did the tranny constantly was hunting for the right gear.

Fast forward to today and a 4 month repair job on the camper following a tree limb taking out the roof and some interior damage, we finally have the rig back. In the mean time, I’ve upgraded to a 2020 Pro4X loaded. I was a little nervous about my first tow with it. It’s got slightly less payload than the 17SV, about 100 pounds as equipped. However, due to the new tranny and software this rig tows way better than the 17SV even without the timbrens installed (which I intend to do to level thing out a bit). The new tranny while not without its issues, is night and day vs the 17. The software still needs some tweaks, but the simple fact that I can use cruise (and the adaptive cruise settings work great) without the truck constantly gear hunting makes towing this setup even more of a breeze.

I’m not here for comments about payload and whether or not I’m over loaded. I certainly am by a bit, but this truck is a beast and way underrated for what it can actually do. On the 80 mile trip home from the repair shop, with cruise set to 71 mph between Rockford IL and Downers Grove, the computer tells me I averaged 7.8 mpg. This rig is perfect for me and the tuck is prefect for it. The hitch is an Anderson ultimate and yes, I have Titan boxes and there are 0 issues making 90 turns if needed.

So in summary the 17 and the sandpiper conquered the smokies, the Adirondacks and the flats of the Midwest with ease. I’m ready to tackle anything in the 2020 and can’t wait to hit the road! In fact, my 3 yr old boy couldn’t wait to leave the house at 5:30 am just to hang out in the camper with me while I wrote this. It’s currently 38 degrees out and toasty warm in the camper!

Welcome back camping season.

·
2020 Titan XD
3 Posts
Hey all!
Long time lurker, first post.

Last year I owned a 2017 SV and a 36 ft Jayc bumper pull that I had for a few years. In May 2020 we upgraded to the Sandpiper 3220RL. It has 4 slides, one being a bunk room. Pin weight is like 1800 pounds.

Anyway, with the old 2017 we towed it 3000 miles from Chicago to Charleston SC via the smokies and then after a 2 month stay we toured up the east coast with 3 stops in NY (Long Island, Saratoga, Niagra Falls) and then back through Ohio and Indiana to our seasonal site in Newark IL. All this in the May to July timeframe in the middle of the pandemic. Let’s just say it was the best trip ever. The smokies were conquered, a 3 point turn on a narrow mountain road occurred due to a downed power line, and many other wonderful things.

The old 17 was great, I had added timberins and it towed like a dream averaging 7.5 mph over the course of 3k miles. Only issue we had was the crappy software running the 7 speed tranny. I was unable to use cruise control, for if I did the tranny constantly was hunting for the right gear.

Fast forward to today and a 4 month repair job on the camper following a tree limb taking out the roof and some interior damage, we finally have the rig back. In the mean time, I’ve upgraded to a 2020 Pro4X loaded. I was a little nervous about my first tow with it. It’s got slightly less payload than the 17SV, about 100 pounds as equipped. However, due to the new tranny and software this rig tows way better than the 17SV even without the timbrens installed (which I intend to do to level thing out a bit). The new tranny while not without its issues, is night and day vs the 17. The software still needs some tweaks, but the simple fact that I can use cruise (and the adaptive cruise settings work great) without the truck constantly gear hunting makes towing this setup even more of a breeze.

I’m not here for comments about payload and whether or not I’m over loaded. I certainly am by a bit, but this truck is a beast and way underrated for what it can actually do. On the 80 mile trip home from the repair shop, with cruise set to 71 mph between Rockford IL and Downers Grove, the computer tells me I averaged 7.8 mpg. This rig is perfect for me and the tuck is prefect for it. The hitch is an Anderson ultimate and yes, I have Titan boxes and there are 0 issues making 90 turns if needed.

So in summary the 17 and the sandpiper conquered the smokies, the Adirondacks and the flats of the Midwest with ease. I’m ready to tackle anything in the 2020 and can’t wait to hit the road! In fact, my 3 yr old boy couldn’t wait to leave the house at 5:30 am just to hang out in the camper with me while I wrote this. It’s currently 38 degrees out and toasty warm in the camper!

Welcome back camping season.

View attachment 46274 View attachment 46275 View attachment 46276
Hi Seanb61,

Nice post and summary of your TT towing experience so far.
I'm new to the forum and new owner of a '20 XD SV (about 6k miles so far). My first tow experience was last week, towing my 7x12 V nose tool trailer (about 4k lbs) from S. Florida to central New York (1200ish miles) was somewhat disappointing. It handled the trailer weight fine, but the MPG would have likely been sub 6.5 if I were to use the cruise control. For example, up through FL-S. Carolina (quite flat, winds were 8ish but W to WNW, and posted speed limit typically 70); every time I tried cruise, setting at 70-72, the constant shifting down to 7th, sometimes 6th and hardly ever wanting to shift back up by itself, at best only getting into 8th was quite annoying. Using or not using tow mode made little difference when trying cruise, although it seemed like it would be a bit more responsive to shift back up when in tow mode. Slowing down to 60ish and trying cruise was perhaps a bit better, but I'm not keen to drive too much slower than the typical "flow of traffic".
My first few fuel stops were registering 6.8 MPG, so I ditched using the cruise and instead throttle drove it, but I had to play with the tow mode switch and manual +/- gear so that I could get it to shift back up into 9th gear. Strangely, even letting off the throttle on slight down-grades it would not shift up to 9th by itself, but if I either put it in or took it out of tow mode it would shift into 9th, often without letting off on the throttle. By driving like this I was able to improve the MPG to 8.7 (computer) for the rest of the trip.
It really seemed/felt like the engine would easily handle staying in 9th, just that the transmission (programming??) would't allow it.

Bottom line I was shocked that my big XD struggled sooo much with what I see as a little trailer. My 2004 Explorer (4.6L w/ tow package) with 165k on it towed this trailer better, achieving 10.5 MPG.

I have a service appointment later this week for the PC798 recall and I told the service manager about my tow experience but was essentially told "yeah, that's how they are, it's perhaps the biggest complaint" and he does not think think there is anything that can be done to improve it, but I will have them run a scan/look for an issue. I tried calling Nissan, but they DO NOT answer technical questions and just push you to see a dealer. It seems to me that if the programming related to the transmission needs to be improved.

Anyway, I look forward to hearing if you have similar issues as I do plan to travel the US pulling my Keystone Cougar 22' RBS travel trailer (about 5500lbs dry and Reese leveling setup), which is why I bought the XD. But after last week's experience, and if it can't be fixed/improved, I'm not sure I'll keep it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts